English as the Official Language

The first amendment forbids mandating a national language.

Really? Can you point that out for us?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

A national language means government documents and speeches need not be translated into other languages. How is that forbidden by the text above?

If English became our official language.....

The lady behind you in the supermarket would still be yelling at her kids in Spanish
The guy at the gas station with a turban would still blabber to his buddy in Pakistani
You would still have to press 1 for English

All it does is force some obscure government forms to be printed in English

So whats your problem with it?

My problem is that it is not being done out of any pressing social or political reason.....it is being done out of meanness

It is a direct insult to Hispanics and other cultures telling them they are not "real americans" like the rest of us

No one would be forced to speak English. All it means is that all official communication would be in English. It would save millions of dollars in printing costs alone.

In France, all the official government documents are in French. Mexico does not have voting pamphlets in Farsi. It just makes sense.

Of course to liberals what makes sense is to have a population that doesn't speak any common language and can't talk to one another.

The lady behind you in the supermarket would still be yelling at her kids in Spanish
The guy at the gas station with a turban would still blabber to his buddy in Pakistani

My problem is that it is not being done out of any pressing social or political reason.....it is being done out of meanness

It is a direct insult to Hispanics and other cultures telling them they are not "real americans" like the rest of us

No, it's being considered out of a pressing financial reason. But hey, we're flush with cash, right, so who cares as long as we don't appear "mean"? :eusa_eh:

The Lefty approach is always emotionally based. If it feels right, it must be so...to hell with logic, reason, and actual results. Just pathetic.

No, it's being considered out of a pressing financial reason. But hey, we're flush with cash, right, so who cares as long as we don't appear "mean"? :eusa_eh:

The Lefty approach is always emotionally based. If it feels right, it must be so...to hell with logic, reason, and actual results. Just pathetic.

Pressing financial reasons my ass!

It is being done to appease the "Press 1 for English" crowd

You misunderstand what is meant by a 'national language.'
Not really. It isn't possible to force people to speak English as it violates freedom of speech and expression.

Which is why this bill is meaningless racial shit-stirring uber-nationalistic nonsense.

Again, you obviously misunderstand what is meant by a 'national language.'

My problem is that it is not being done out of any pressing social or political reason.....

Whether you agree or disagree with the idea of a national language, your assertion is purely subjective.

Pressing financial reasons my ass!

It is being done to appease the "Press 1 for English" crowd

Oh, well, if YOU say so...:cuckoo:

Actually, not really

The government would still be tied to offer material in other languages.

This "English as the official language" is not going to accomplish anything but some Congressman wondering why we are still printing documents in Spanish, French etc..

Where is the outrage from our USMB Libertarians?

Big Government trying to force language on the people

Where is the outrage from our USMB Libertarians?

Big Government trying to force language on the people

Bullshit. Show us a link or any proof that making English the official language "forces" anything on anyone.

No one would be forced to speak English. All it means is that all official communication would be in English. It would save millions of dollars in printing costs alone.

In France, all the official government documents are in French. Mexico does not have voting pamphlets in Farsi. It just makes sense.

Of course to liberals what makes sense is to have a population that doesn't speak any common language and can't talk to one another.

How many Farsi speaking Mexicans are citizens of Mexico.

Oh, right, none.

You misunderstand what is meant by a 'national language.'
Not really. It isn't possible to force people to speak English as it violates freedom of speech and expression.

Which is why this bill is meaningless racial shit-stirring uber-nationalistic nonsense.

Again, you obviously misunderstand what is meant by a 'national language.'
And you obviously misunderstand what is meant by an "official" language.

Oh, right, none.

Well, maybe...maybe not. There are an estimated 3700 Muslims living in Mexico, served by 8 mosques, all of which teach Arabic. Of course, Farsi is not the same language as Arabic but they do share a common script and Persian draws much of its everyday lexicon from Arabic.

In addition, Iran has an embassy in Mexico...I bet they speak Farsi. Further, Farsi is the official language of Iran, Afghanistan, and Tajikistan. There are people of those backgrounds living in Mexico as citizens.

So, while I can't say for sure that there are Farsi speakers living in Mexico, it seems possible there are. How are you able to state with 100% accuracy "Oh, right, none"?

Link, proof, anything?

not-This-Shit-Again.gif

Oh, right, none.

Well, maybe...maybe not. There are an estimated 3700 Muslims living in Mexico, served by 8 mosques, all of which teach Arabic. Of course, Farsi is not the same language as Arabic but they do share a common script and Persian draws much of its everyday lexicon from Arabic.

In addition, Iran has an embassy in Mexico...I bet they speak Farsi. Further, Farsi is the official language of Iran, Afghanistan, and Tajikistan. There are people of those backgrounds living in Mexico as citizens.

So, while I can't say for sure that there are Farsi speakers living in Mexico, it seems possible there are. How are you able to state with 100% accuracy "Oh, right, none"?

Link, proof, anything?
Oh, my! 3700 of them! Then I was wrong, a fine analogy after all. We should model ourselves on Mexico, one of the most successful nations in the world.

Callate el osico gordota.

Forum List

Back