English as the Official Language

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Rep. Steve King of Iowa spoke yesterday in support of a bill he introduced a year ago to make English the official language of the US. As most probably know, we do not now have an official language.

Michigan Rep. John Conyers gave his rebuttal in less-than-perfect Spanish.

I find it silly that English is not the official language of the US. And we can't get an Act of Congress to make it so.

It would mean a huge savings as government documents no longer have to be translated into dozens of languages.

Having English as the official language woudn't really prohibit speaking another language, the effect would be to stop accommodating the literally hundreds of languages now accommodated.

There would, of course, be Constitutional challenges to such a law in terms of due process and equal protection.

If English became our official language.....

The lady behind you in the supermarket would still be yelling at her kids in Spanish
The guy at the gas station with a turban would still blabber to his buddy in Pakistani
You would still have to press 1 for English

All it does is force some obscure government forms to be printed in English

Rep. Steve King of Iowa spoke yesterday in support of a bill he introduced a year ago to make English the official language of the US. As most probably know, we do not now have an official language.

America always has been and always will be a melting pot of cultures and races and languages. I'm proud of the fact that we don't have an official language. It should always be that way.

The lady behind you in the supermarket would still be yelling at her kids in Spanish
The guy at the gas station with a turban would still blabber to his buddy in Pakistani

So whats your problem with it?

Here is my problem with the established system...

6581ebdb.jpg

Ahh then it goes from "just go get an ID...It's easy"

To

"Just learn English...it's easy"

Meanwhile most Americans cant speak English worth a dam either

America always has been and always will be a melting pot of cultures and races and languages. I'm proud of the fact that we don't have an official language. It should always be that way.

What you are saying good and fine as long as folks assimilate... but there is a certain segment of our society that has no intention of doing that... in fact they require we learn their language to accommodate them.

This is where I draw the freeking line.

In fact I am sitting at the lunch table right now with 3 Philipino nurses, and they are just babbling away in their native language and it bothers me none.... but once they return to the clinic floor... they speak great english.

I just wonder if they are talking about me… :lol:

And that saves a ton of taxpayer money. Excellent.

i wish i knew two languages, too bad white people would kill my ancestors if they spoke or taught another language.

Ahh then it goes from "just go get an ID...It's easy"

To

"Just learn English...it's easy"

Meanwhile most Americans cant speak English worth a dam either

Or spell...

It has been the official language in Florida for years. And it amounts to nothing at all. Documents, voting, etc. are all in English/Spanish/Creole which reflects the population of Florida.

A government is obligated to serve its population. The first amendment forbids mandating a national language.

Bills like this are racially motivated and/or uber-nationalistic.

In fact I am sitting at the lunch table right now with 3 Philipino nurses, and they are just babbling away in their native language and it bothers me none.... but once they return to the clinic floor... they speak great english.

I just wonder if they are talking about me… :lol:[/SIZE][/FONT]

If they were not talking to you, what the hell business is it of yours?

You misunderstand what is meant by a 'national language.'
Not really. It isn't possible to force people to speak English as it violates freedom of speech and expression.

Which is why this bill is meaningless racial shit-stirring uber-nationalistic nonsense.

Forum List

Back