English as official language amendment

Would you support an amendment making English the official language?

• Yes

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 32.6%

• Total voters
In addition to all the practical, convenience things, many of which can be gotten around, you cannot intelligently vote in any election unless you can avail yourselves of information from a variety of sources. To rely on translations of selected materials makes you subject to the whims and prejudices of the translator.

You assume no information or material about candidates and elections are written originally in languages other than English. That assumption is wrong. Also, the problem of "the whims and prejudices of the translator" exists in equal degree with material written in English. Bias is ubiquitous.

Using language is an essential human function. Playing music is not. Any person within a wide range of normal mental capacity can and will learn to use language; a first language at least completely. The same cannot be said for music. Your comparison would work a little better if you were comparing playing an instrument to singing. A little.

The point was how learning to read music and play an instrument helps in other areas of brain development and function. And that's a fact, jack.

You attempted a false equivalency.

I did no such thing.

You might want to go back and re-read my original post (and what I quoted and highlighted) before you turn your fail dial all the way up to eleven.

Would you support a constitutional amendment establishing English as the official language of the United States?

Why or Why not?

I do believe that they made English the official language about 5 or six years ago.
This was voted on in Washington D.C.

Would you support a constitutional amendment establishing English as the official language of the United States?

Why or Why not?

No

I support freedom warts and all.

That' being said, since most of us speak it as our only language, anyone coming here should show respect and learn to speak and read English. Considering much of the world learns english, it shouldn't be that hard.

and no, we should not spend billions a year just so a small portion of the country can get forms in their language. Don't want to learn english? suffer the warts of your choice

Forum List

Back