English as a Second Language

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I often feel pity for people trying to learn English as a second language. We use so many non-words and illogical idiomatic expressions that it must be excruciating to figure things out.

Consider, "Ummina." It is a ubiquitously used word that appears in no dictionary. "Ummina go to the store this morning."

Along the same line, "Gonna." As in, "I think it's gonna rain."

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

There are dozens of them. I wonder if there is a dictionary compiled anywhere.

I often feel pity for people trying to learn English as a second language. We use so many non-words and illogical idiomatic expressions that it must be excruciating to figure things out.

Consider, "Ummina." It is a ubiquitously used word that appears in no dictionary. "Ummina go to the store this morning."

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

When we teach ESL it is important to pronounce words as they are spoken colloquially. Sure.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

Considering how many of them there are on this board maybe you should just keep this post going with a list and explanations. All the Russians posing as tRumpkins will surely appreciate it.

It's even worse if you're in the south. Sometimes whole sentences can be nothing but those "words".

Consider:

Dijaeet?

Nawp.

Yont'to?

'kay.

Meaning:

"Have you eaten yet?"

"Why no, I haven't."

"Well would you like to?"

"I'd be delighted.".

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

Considering how many of them there are on this board maybe you should just keep this post going with a list and explanations. All the Russians posing as tRumpkins will surely appreciate it.
Says the EU globalist zombie.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

How do you find time to do anything when you are following me around the board clicking "funny" on every single thing I post?

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

It's called an idiom, idiot!

Every language has them.

If you wanted to say someone was crazy in German, the wording is the equivalent of "He has not any cups in his cupboard".

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

How do you find time to do anything when you are following me around the board clicking "funny" on every single thing I post?
You are paranoid.

LOL

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

Every language has them.

If you wanted to say someone was crazy in German, the wording is the equivalent of "He has not any cups in his cupboard".
In reality it is the ebonics and its constant storming of pop culture that is making English harder to speak and understand, but of course these idiots constantly want to go after the dying white Southern culture.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

You are paranoid.

LOL
No, just flattered by the amount of attention you devote to me. I was amazed that you actually worked up the nerve to reply for a change.

Just so you know, I don't swing that way bro. But it's cool, you do you.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

You are paranoid.

LOL
No, just flattered by the amount of attention you devote to me. I was amazed that you actually worked up the nerve to reply for a change.

Just so you know, I don't swing that way bro. But it's cool, you do you.
Every Democrat is a punk ass faggot under their faux business image.

If I wanted to you realize how much of a woman you are compared to me I would have no trouble on that front. Luckily for you I consider every other man apart from those in my family to be completely useless, so I most definitely don't swing that way.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

Every language has unique idiosyncrasies.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

When we teach ESL it is important to pronounce words as they are spoken colloquially. Sure.

It is important to teach that certain words and phrases are pronounced differently by different people in different circumstances. It is very, very important to teach the difference between how words are used in written and oral contexts.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

Every language has them.

In reality it is the ebonics and its constant storming of pop culture that is making English harder to speak and understand, but of course these idiots constantly want to go after the dying white Southern culture.

English is not getting "harder to speak and understand."

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

Every language has them.

Whatever you say main.....

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

Every language has them.

Whatever you say main.....

It’s just not.

One could argue that as the prevalence of English as a second language increases, it is becoming easier to learn as it is easier to find a conversation partner with whom to practice almost anywhere in the world.

That being said, Mandarin is still by far the most commonly spoken first language in the world. So many American kids spend the little time allotted for foreign language study in American schools on Spanish or French when Mandarin would be a much more practical choice.

The whole nine yards.

Got the shaft.

There are dozens of dictionaries of idiomatic expressions. However, phonetic spellings like "gonna" that attempt to convey the pronunciation of a word in a given social context are not really idioms.

Forum List

Back