Engineer "humbled" by Middle School Math

R

rdean

Many of you who responded to my article, “Middle School Math is a Big Problem,” in the June issue pointed out the error I made in labeling the triangle’s height or altitude. Of course, I was dully chagrined and humbled by the experience. I could have said that it was a trick or a test to see how many of you would actually work out the problem: However, I am not that smart! Most of you were kind and helpful and tried to discover what went wrong. Thank you.

What really happened? You may recall that I plotted the triangle on graph paper (8.5 by 11-in.) and assigned two units per square. Therefore, 10 squares equal 20 units for the base, 6.5 squares equal the 13-unit side, and 8.5 squares equal the 17-unit side. When I measured the height, the scale showed 5.5 squares, which I reported as the altitude, but I should have multiplied it by a factor of two to get the more correct answer of 11(within the accuracy of my graph paper and pencil width). Many of you used more accurate computer software and mathematical approaches, which were closer to 10.95: I selected the graphical approach for the children because I thought it would be easier for them to see.

Oops! The Editor?s Math is a Problem, too. - The Engineering Exchange

Oops, even the best and brightest can be humbled by the smallest things.

Many of you who responded to my article, “Middle School Math is a Big Problem,” in the June issue pointed out the error I made in labeling the triangle’s height or altitude. Of course, I was dully chagrined and humbled by the experience. I could have said that it was a trick or a test to see how many of you would actually work out the problem: However, I am not that smart! Most of you were kind and helpful and tried to discover what went wrong. Thank you.

What really happened? You may recall that I plotted the triangle on graph paper (8.5 by 11-in.) and assigned two units per square. Therefore, 10 squares equal 20 units for the base, 6.5 squares equal the 13-unit side, and 8.5 squares equal the 17-unit side. When I measured the height, the scale showed 5.5 squares, which I reported as the altitude, but I should have multiplied it by a factor of two to get the more correct answer of 11(within the accuracy of my graph paper and pencil width). Many of you used more accurate computer software and mathematical approaches, which were closer to 10.95: I selected the graphical approach for the children because I thought it would be easier for them to see.

Oops! The Editor?s Math is a Problem, too. - The Engineering Exchange

Oops, even the best and brightest can be humbled by the smallest things.

Are you trying to admit that you are wrong about something? :doubt:

Or, perish the though, are you trying to imply that everyone who disagrees with you is not a stupid hack? :confused:

How will we ever know the answer?

Forum List

Back