Enforcing HR 3962. How does that work?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by alan1, Nov 14, 2009.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Reading through HR 3962 (The house health care bill), I came across a few things that made me wonder how they will be enforced, and who will be forced to comply.

First this,
    Then this,
    Finally this,
    Which leads to my question,
    Since my daughter is under 27, that means I am supposed to have her covered under my employers health care plan.
    However, my daughter's employer is supposed to cover her under their health care plan.
    If she has no health care coverage, who gets taxed/fined for it? Her or I?

Please supply a link for your quotes.

Edit by MM to add link, http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:2:./temp/~c111ba7xs7::
    Note: Links to The Library of Congress search often fail, if the above link does not work, go to the main page here, http://thomas.loc.gov/ then in the search box type in 'HR 3962', click on 'Bill Number' (it defaults to 'word/phrase'). From there, you can search on the specific section numbers I quoted.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Does the "dependent child" have to live with you? That is an excellent question MM. We don't even make parents provide meals for school aged children anymore but they are supposed to be responsible for their healthcare until they are almost 30. My 19 year old is covered under my policy and yet I am not permitted to see his records.How can I challenge a charge? It makes no sense.

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    Does your daughter live with you? Do you supply most of her support? Can you claim this support on your income taxes?

I would say that since you said your daughter works and her company does supply health care with employer coverage, then she earns enough money to be supporting herself and you would not be claiming her in any manner on taxes, and she would be responsible....

not you.

4. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    And, how does one define "Dependent Child"? My other daughter is a full time college student and is on my employer sponsored health care coverage plan. I haven't claimed her as a dependent (for tax purposes) for many years.

5. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
  6. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    "Cuz there's a monster on the loose. It's got our heads thru a noose. And it just sits there, watching...."

7. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Neither of my daughters lives with me. The oldest definitely provides most of her own support, but I still help out. The youngest works also, but I probably still provide most of her support since she is in college. But I still haven't claimed her as a dependent (for tax purposes) for over 5 years. I let my ex-wife claim her as a dependent for a couple years even though I was the primary financial support. Neither of us has claimed her as a dependent since she turned 17.

8. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    if your child lives with you and is younger than 27, you would be responsible I believe?

it depends on your insurance plan, the bill says that if your child would be covered according to your insurance policies rules as a dependent, other than for the age limitation it had, then your child would be considered your responsibility.

Many insurance policies state that once your child is out of college, even if living at home, you can not cover them on your family insurance plan.

Many insurance plans, require that your dependents on the insurance coverage live under the same roof...

all kinds of things, so basically, i don;t believe this section is clear.

9. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Like the rest of the entire bill -- it is what they say it is at any given time they say so.

Purposeful ambiguity.

But, we want to be CLEAR: http://eipnetworks.com/clear.mp3

10. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    That was part of my point in the OP. It is not clear where the responsibilities lay. 1900+ pages of government-speak is not the answer to anything.