Enforcement of Copyright Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

Dec 22, 2006
Just a reminder about our copyright policy... "Link Each Copy and Paste to It's Source."

"Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material."

Beginning today, we ask the assistance of our users in enforcing this policy.

If you see an article posted in its' entirety, even if a link is provided, please report the post for administrative action.

Beginning today, when we are made aware of such violations of the site's rules, we will delete the offending post and issue a Copyright Infringement infraction worth 2 points. The infraction will expire in 30 days. Anyone who collects 10 points will automatically be banned from the site for 7 days.

Feel free to link to sources and quote samples from those sources in your posts. Just don't post all or significant amounts of someone elses material and think the addition of a link makes it ok.

Just a reminder about our copyright policy...

"Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material."

If you see an article posted in its' entirety, even if a link is provided, please report the post for administrative action.

Beginning today, when we are made aware of such violations of the site's rules, we will delete the offending post and issue a Copyright Infringement infraction worth 2 points. The infraction will expire in 30 days. Anyone who collects 10 points will automatically be banned from the site for 7 days.

Feel free to link to sources and quote samples from those sources in your posts. Just don't post all or significant amounts of someone elses material and think the addition of a link makes it ok.
Why? If I post an entire article, including the copyright & source information...how would that jeopardize any copyrights?

Why? If I post an entire article, including the copyright & source information...how would that jeopardize any copyrights?

Scooter is the former owner of the board. He no longer posts here. "Why" is because the law says so. This board will comply with the law. It's this way on any and every message board I have ever been on.

Scooter is the former owner of the board. He no longer posts here. "Why" is because the law says so. This board will comply with the law. It's this way on any and every message board I have ever been on.
I am not trying to be difficult. I just want to understand.

This is a new law? Every message board out there allows it as long as you post the copyright & source information as well. In fact, you guys have not said anything until now.

I am not trying to be difficult. I just want to understand.

This is a new law? Every message board out there allows it as long as you post the copyright & source information as well. In fact, you guys have not said anything until now.

You just noticed it now. The initial post is date 5-25-07 and was a reiteration of what is posted in the rules. It has in fact been a rule on this board since at least prior to my joining in 2004.

You cannot reprint an author's work in it's entirety. That is copyright infringement and the owner of this board can be sued for it. If other boards allow it, that's on them. I am only concerned with this one.

If the article is well written, you need only post the first 2-3 paragraphs and a link to the entire article. If a reader's interest is not captured within the first two paragraphs, the journalist writing it obviously didn't pay attention in class, because that is a steadfast rule of writing news articles.

An interested reader who doesn't want to make the mistake of talking out his butt is going to follow the link and read the entire article. It requires very little effort.

It is not a violation to post an article on your website from another source so long as you provide a link back to the original article and give credit to the writer/news source. I know this because I went to school for journalism and there are several thousand websites that do this.

If you disagree with me, please forward me this law in its entire context. Everyone here seems to be a Monday Morning lawyer, saying this is a law, that's a law, etc. but we have nothing to prove it.

It is not a violation to post an article on your website from another source so long as you provide a link back to the original article and give credit to the writer/news source. I know this because I went to school for journalism and there are several thousand websites that do this.

If you disagree with me, please forward me this law in its entire context. Everyone here seems to be a Monday Morning lawyer, saying this is a law, that's a law, etc. but we have nothing to prove it.

davids...it is your nose that grows when you lie..not your dick

Gunny,

Certainly exceptions may be made right? If I find an article in the paper one day that David was caught blowin guys in a room with glory holes, are you telling me I can't post that article so everyone can make fun of him of the suspicions we already had?

say it ain't so!

Gunny,

Certainly exceptions may be made right? If I find an article in the paper one day that David was caught blowin guys in a room with glory holes, are you telling me I can't post that article so everyone can make fun of him of the suspicions we already had?

say it ain't so!

You can post a portion of it, and link back to the rest.

I have posted full articles with attribution and link back...and got banned here for doing so.

I thought what I do is legally acceptable. Full posting with author's name and links and more...

:eusa_whistle:

I have posted full articles with attribution and link back...and got banned here for doing so.

I thought what I do is legally acceptable. Full posting with author's name and links and more...

Did you miss the bold text?

Your ban will not be discussed on the public boards.

"Copyright Guidelines:

From the first post.

When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material."

Can someone explain why we have moderators that threaten to delete posts content when someone provides the author and source but no link? Not everything is on the internet and the rule clearly states that all one need do is properly credit the source.

From the first post.

When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material."

Can someone explain why we have moderators that threaten to delete posts content when someone provides the author and source but no link? Not everything is on the internet and the rule clearly states that all one need do is properly credit the source.
:clap2:

Did you miss the bold text?

Your ban will not be discussed on the public boards.

"Copyright Guidelines:

I'm not discussing my ban. It is irrelevant to me. I did not complain. I merely mention it to give context.

I didn't complain.

lighten up francis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back