Energy Addiction

HappyPeaches

Rookie
Dec 10, 2008
Hey everyone! Peachboy here again. Here’s my friend ApplePi's newsletter for today. He does one every Monday and Thursday. If you want, e-mail him ([email protected]) asking for the newsletter, and you can receive it directly.

The 21st Century Addiction Rehab: Energy • 12/15/08

The Addiction
America’s addiction to energy will soon need to be rehabilitated, or we could have some serious consequences. America’s energy addiction is just as bad as any other addiction, so don’t treat it lightly. If gone untreated, it will have dire effects. Over the past few years, energy usage has been growing exponentially, and so has the release of carbon dioxide and the rise of global temperatures, all consequences of the energy addiction.

Every second, America is using an average of _______ of electricity. All that electricity, and only for America. The addiction is so bad that probably the majority of people would be unable to go three days without some technology, which is run on energy. Not only being bored, there would be no electricity, no car, no heating. This shows really how bad America’s, humanity’s, energy addiction is and how badly we need to fix it.

The Problems
If we stay addicted to energy, we could face more and more climate changes as a result of the burning of fossil fuels. Fossil fuels release tons of carbon dioxide, which is the number one gas that is linked to climate change and global warming. Although fossil fuels is the cheapest and most efficient way to get electricity now, it will destroy planet earth in the future. Fossil fuels is definitely not the way to go.

Energy addiction is a major problem because if, for some reason, we could generate no more electricity, all of humanity would be screwed. If we were living in sci-fi world, aliens would first destroy our energy-making capabilities and then after a few years of mayhem, just take over the world without difficulty. More seriously, it just goes to show that energy addiction might be humanities downfall.

The Answers
A great solution would be to reduce our energy consumption in general. If every person in the world used an hour of electricity less each month, we would be stopping billions of tons of carbon dioxide from going off into the atmosphere. Also, practicing reduce energy usage would help to get us off the addiction to energy.

Although reducing energy usage will slow down our addiction, renewable energy sources could be an option to help get us off the addiction to fossil fuels altogether. Renewable energy sources such as wind, solar, and nuclear are great alternatives. They are clean and cheap to generate. A combination of renewable energy sources and reduced consumption will be the key to rehabilitating humanity off of the addiction to energy.

Hey everyone! Peachboy here again. Here’s my friend ApplePi's newsletter for today. He does one every Monday and Thursday. If you want, e-mail him ([email protected]) asking for the newsletter, and you can receive it directly.

Ugh, the issues, faulty presumptions of stuff like this is astounding. First addiction, why is it an addiction? As technology advances we have simply found more ways to use resources to enhance productivity and our lives in general. Saying we're addicted to energy is kind of like saying we're addicted to air.

The old CO2 is the drive of global warming schtick. Even though mounting evidence is showing this to be less than entirely accurate everyday, people still cling to it. Has the earth warmed and cooled overtime? of course. But much as the envir-nazis would like to deny it, WHY is still open for debate especially in light of recent evidence that there hasn't been any warming for the last 10 years or so. Secondly technology of fossil fuels themselves has advanced that it is now actually quite clean, (i.e. clean coal technology)

Ugh, the issues, faulty presumptions of stuff like this is astounding. First addiction, why is it an addiction? As technology advances we have simply found more ways to use resources to enhance productivity and our lives in general. Saying we're addicted to energy is kind of like saying we're addicted to air.

The old CO2 is the drive of global warming schtick. Even though mounting evidence is showing this to be less than entirely accurate everyday, people still cling to it. Has the earth warmed and cooled overtime? of course. But much as the envir-nazis would like to deny it, WHY is still open for debate especially in light of recent evidence that there hasn't been any warming for the last 10 years or so. Secondly technology of fossil fuels themselves has advanced that it is now actually quite clean, (i.e. clean coal technology)

Maybe if you repeat those lies enough, one day they will be true.

Maybe if you repeat those lies enough, one day they will be true.

Maybe you should get off of the internet and save some of that energy. Its really amusing how people yell about the environment but don't take action. Stop using paper, stop driving, stop using internet. Lower you living standards for the "future generations". If this planet is in so much danger and you care, lower you living standards to that of a 3rd world country.

Lets be clear, this planet is not under threat. The Earth has been here for billions upon billions of years. It has been through hell and back. Is it not still here? Global warming, if it even exist to the extent in which you speak of, will not destroy the Earth. The only thing under threat is human life. The same beings that you describe as resource leeches with low or no moral values. Therefore, mother nature should benefit for the non-existence of human beings.

In fact, why should we cherish a never ending cycle of life and death of "resource addicts". The idea that we live and then die, why not just cease to exist in the first place? Would it be a big crisis for everyone to simply cease to exist rather then exist and then cease to exist? My point is why should be care about the existence of the future generation, when out current generation will cease to exist and all future generations will eventually cease to exist. Why not just use all the energy we can, enjoy existing and wait to cease to exist.

Last edited:
Maybe you should get off of the internet and save some of that energy. Its really amusing how people yell about the environment but don't take action. Stop using paper, stop driving, stop using internet. Lower you living standards for the "future generations". If this planet is in so much danger and you care, lower you living standards to that of a 3rd world country.

Lets be clear, this planet is not under threat. The Earth has been here for billions upon billions of years. It has been through hell and back. Is it not still here? Global warming, if it even exist to the extent in which you speak of, will not destroy the Earth. The only thing under threat is human life. The same beings that you describe as resource leeches with low or no moral values. Therefore, mother nature should benefit for the non-existence of human beings.

In fact, why should we cherish a never ending cycle of life and death of "resource addicts". The idea that we live and then die, why not just cease to exist in the first place? Would it be a big crisis for everyone to simply cease to exist rather then exist and then cease to exist? My point is why should be care about the existence of the future generation, when out current generation will cease to exist and all future generations will eventually cease to exist. Why not just use all the energy we can, enjoy existing and wait to cease to exist.

Great point---Unfortunately it's far too deep for Chris. Welcome by the way

Every generation is responsible for its own survival. My parents generation gave us the 60's and 70's and the Misery Index. We survived fine. I don't give a DAMN about what I pass on. What they inherit is their own problem, they are ADULTS, they can DEAL WITH IT. I intend to consume and exhaust everything i possibly can before I die. My kids and pick up the mess, afterall, I spent a 20 years picking up theirs.....

There seems to be a movement afoot to raise the gasoline tax finally. Charles Krauthammer is is in on it now with a great proposal.

The Net-Zero Gas Tax

Rush Limbo, the leader of the GOP, will oppose, but so what? Let him and his childish minions yelp and complain, maybe they will even hold protests at gas stations, and that could be funny.,

There seems to be a movement afoot to raise the gasoline tax finally. Charles Krauthammer is is in on it now with a great proposal.

The Net-Zero Gas Tax

Rush Limbo, the leader of the GOP, will oppose, but so what? Let him and his childish minions yelp and complain, maybe they will even hold protests at gas stations, and that could be funny.,

Gotta love the spin from this article:

Because the virtues of a gas tax remain what they have always been. A tax that suppresses U.S. gas consumption can have a major effect on reducing world oil prices.

So by making gas prices higher for the average Joe (and giving the government more of our hard-earned cash), we are actually lowering world oil prices. Now isn't that special? :cuckoo:

Gotta love the spin from this article:

So by making gas prices higher for the average Joe (and giving the government more of our hard-earned cash), we are actually lowering world oil prices. Now isn't that special? :cuckoo:

Why is that so hard to understand?

And why should the "average Joe" get a free ride on gas priices that send American money to Saudi Arabi and Iran? We should keep our money in our country as best we can.

I understand the partisan opposition to anything at all, but can't you just take off your ideological blinders for a second?

Why is that so hard to understand?

And why should the "average Joe" get a free ride on gas priices that send American money to Saudi Arabi and Iran? We should keep our money in our country as best we can.

I understand the partisan opposition to anything at all, but can't you just take off your ideological blinders for a second?

My 'ideological blinders' are based on the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and Liberty in general. You're suggesting more government control over our lives. That's anti-liberty. That's fine if you want more governmental control over the lives of citizens, but don't force your anti-liberty views on everyone else. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in a country with a more oppressive government.

My 'ideological blinders' are based on the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and Liberty in general. You're suggesting more government control over our lives. That's anti-liberty. That's fine if you want more governmental control over the lives of citizens, but don't force your anti-liberty views on everyone else. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in a country with a more oppressive government.

Ummmm....whatever. The right wing just wants to complain, period

The right wing and the left wing want to complain. Now take your anti-liberty views somewhere else.

But I'm talking about liberty. You want to keep us a slave to foreign oil because you are too worthless and lazy to want to do anything about it

Forum List

Back