Enemy Mine?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
WTF? Now our guys are considered 'the enemy'?

SWORDLESS SAILORS

Graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis are being told in writing to leave at home or in their vehicles all "ceremonial swords" and anything else "that might be considered a weapon or a threat by screeners" for Friday's outdoor commencement ceremonies featuring an address by President Barack Obama.

Inside the Beltway has obtained the academy's list of prohibited items for this year's graduation exercises, which, besides ceremonial swords, includes umbrellas.

Yes, cell phones and texting are still allowed.

Inside the Beltway - Washington Times

SWORDLESS SAILORS

Graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis are being told in writing to leave at home or in their vehicles all "ceremonial swords" and anything else "that might be considered a weapon or a threat by screeners" for Friday's outdoor commencement ceremonies featuring an address by President Barack Obama.

Inside the Beltway has obtained the academy's list of prohibited items for this year's graduation exercises, which, besides ceremonial swords, includes umbrellas.

Umm, yeah. We usually don't let people with weapons near the president unless they have top super duper secret clearance.

Are all Americans "enemies" because we can't bring guns/knives/swords on planes?

SWORDLESS SAILORS

Umm, yeah. We usually don't let people with weapons near the president unless they have top super duper secret clearance.

Are all Americans "enemies" because we can't bring guns/knives/swords on planes?

What kind of dipstick statements are they??? These are graduating midshipmen - you know, OUR guys, the GOOD guys, graduating from the Navel Academy and Barry, in his ignorance and elitist mind, orders them to leave their ceremonial swords at home? These guys graduate in Full Dress White, which includes "wear sword". You have a clue about tradition? Like Barry, I guess not. These ceremonial swords have never bothered the Secret Service for any other president but Barry, oh Barry, has to change the game because yes, a graduate from the Navel Academy is going to rush the Boneheaded one and slice him. Barry considers Navel graduates and Military leaders the enemy. He's insane.

And your last statement has nothing to do with the OP.

What kind of dipstick statements are they??? These are graduating midshipmen - you know, OUR guys, the GOOD guys, graduating from the Navel Academy and Barry, in his ignorance and elitist mind, orders them to leave their ceremonial swords at home? These guys graduate in Full Dress White, which includes "wear sword". You have a clue about tradition? Like Barry, I guess not. These ceremonial swords have never bothered the Secret Service for any other president but Barry, oh Barry, has to change the game because yes, a graduate from the Navel Academy is going to rush the Boneheaded one and slice him. Barry considers Navel graduates and Military leaders the enemy. He's insane.

Care to cite the evidence that Barack Obama himself ordered these rules, and not the secret service?

Care to cite the evidence that Barack Obama himself ordered these rules, and not the secret service?

Barry or his protectors -- doesn't matter much, now does it? What makes this president so special that ceremonial swords, worn proudly by those graduating from the Navel Academy, have be left at home? If he's afraid of our guys then he must see them as the enemy. Like I said, he's insane.

Barry or his protectors -- doesn't matter much, now does it? What makes this president so special that ceremonial swords, worn proudly by those graduating from the Navel Academy, have be left at home? If he's afraid of our guys then he must see them as the enemy. Like I said, he's insane.

Actually, yes, it does matter. Secret Service makes decisions for the president that he can't really over-rule.

What makes the president so special that we should take every precaution that hes not assassinated? Did you seriously just ask this question?

OMG are you serious that the officers from the Navel Academy are now the enemy and are going to assassinate the president?

This administration has ordered this, whether it's the SS or Barry. No other president has ever had these ceremonial swords removed from the full dress uniform, a 200 year tradition. Again, what makes Barry so damn special? Maybe he sees these officers as 'right-wing extremists'.

Last edited:
OMG are you serious that the cadets graduating from the Navel Academy are now the enemy and are going to assassinate the president?

This administration has ordered this, whether it's the SS or Barry. No other president has ever had these ceremonial swords removed from the full dress uniform, a 200 year tradition. Again, what makes Barry so damn special? Maybe he sees these graduates as 'right-wing extremists'.

I have no idea what they will do. Does graduating from the Navel Academy mean that you are given the highest security clearance? Do they get to read top secret documents too, just cause they graduated?

OMG are you serious that the cadets graduating from the Navel Academy are now the enemy and are going to assassinate the president?

This administration has ordered this, whether it's the SS or Barry. No other president has ever had these ceremonial swords removed from the full dress uniform, a 200 year tradition. Again, what makes Barry so damn special? Maybe he sees these graduates as 'right-wing extremists'.

I have no idea what they will do. Does graduating from the Navel Academy mean that you are given the highest security clearance? Do they get to read top secret documents too, just cause they graduated?

The interesting thing is that the graduates are more likely to qualify for the highest security clearance than Barry is. Had he not been publicly elected and had had to undergo a background check, he, based on past associations, probably couldn't qualify to attend the event.

Whoever did it needs to be punched in the mouth.

The interesting thing is that the graduates are more likely to qualify for the highest security clearance than Barry is. Had he not been publicly elected and had had to undergo a background check, he, based on past associations, probably couldn't qualify to attend the event.

My mistake as I believe it may just be the officers who wear the ceremonial swords, rather than the graduating cadets. I haven't found any information that any other president has ever ordered officers to not wear their ceremonial swords.

Interesting point on Barry's background and his clearance to attend, if he hadn't been elected.

In 1954 the officer's ceremonial sword was officially restored as part of the uniform to be worn on prescribed occasions. However, three years before this, a group of enlisted men at Bainbridge Naval Training Center independently brought back the use of the cutlass on the parade ground and drill field. In fact, the cutlass has been an instrumental device at Bainbridge since it re-openend recruit training in 1951.

Swords US Navy

First... Swords are entirely OPTIONAL for almost all Mids and Commissioned Officers. While at the Academy, a Mid may only need one when performing duties as a Striper at such events as Formal Parades, etc. Swords are NOT part of the standard Midshipman uniform. For those Mids who need swords and do not supply their own (almost all Mids fall into this category), the Academy supplies generic swords which remain property of the Academy and are used year after year by succeeding classes.
USNA-Net Reference on Navy and Marine Corps SWORDS

There is unfortunately a considerable amount of misunderstanding and in some cases a lack of context regarding prescribed uniforms, ceremonial swords and associated security measures in conjunction with the recent May 22nd U.S. Naval Academy graduation and commissioning.

Midshipmen and officers did not wear ceremonial swords at graduation because of long established uniform protocol, not due to security concerns as some observers have inferred. In fact, the prescribed uniform for officers and Naval Academy midshipmen participating in the graduation and commissioning was "Navy Service Dress White" - i.e. the familiar Navy "choker" white uniform with ribbons; medals and swords were not prescribed with this uniform for this event. Other military service personnel who were participating wore their equivalent service uniform in the same configuration. Navy Service Dress White (and Marine Corps equivalent) has been the prescribed uniform for Naval Academy graduations in recent history, spanning the past several decades. Graduating midshipmen did not wear swords because swords were not a component of the service uniform prescribed for either this graduation or many other previous graduations.

It may also be helpful to know that in conjunction with the graduation and commissioning celebration, many family members and friends of graduating Naval Academy midshipman present their graduate and newly commissioned Navy ensign or Marine Corps second lieutenant the service's ceremonial officer sword to symbolize the beginning of their careers as officers in the naval service.

The May 22nd graduation was attended by nearly 30,000 people, all of which had to undergo required security screening. As a matter of routine measures associated with similar events, attendees were required to be screened through magnetometers, and were prohibited from bringing large bags, large electronic items, and any instruments or tools that could be considered weapons or appear to be weapons. The Naval Academy advised the graduates and their families about the strict security associated with the graduation and recommended that families not bring certain items, including ceremonial swords. The intent was to avoid any additional stadium entry delays and to preclude family members from possibly not being able to attend their midshipman's graduation. This was consistent with many previous graduation ceremonies.

I hope that this helps explain any misunderstandings on these issues.

CDR Joe Carpenter
Public Affairs Officer
United States Naval Academy

No solitary man with a sword is going to kill the President.

Several men with swords, could.

What would it say of the President if he was killed by our country's finest with ceremonial swords?

What would it say of our country?

Personally, I like the idea but I know I'm a radical.

Forum List

Back