End the Politicization of Science

Bump

Now we have reports of academics being fired and threats being sent to others.

Yeah, thanks hacks. :rolleyes:

Pat yourselves on the back.......

wont be popular with the warmer contingent.

As usual, s kook is wrong.

See: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41973.pdf

The summary is a few short easy to understand paragraphs. Only the willfully ignorant (a shout out to the echo chamber) will fail to recognize "warmers" is nothing but one more pejorative used to discredit any one who has an opinion which they have been taught is wrong.

Propaganda strikes deep, into the brain it will seep;
there's a man with an idea over there, telling me that I got to beware;
What it is isn't exactly clear

there's battle lines being drawn;
Scientists speaking their minds, nobody's right if everybodys's wrong,
Yet the seas contine to rise, is God really on our side?

We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, now, what's that sound
Stop, children, what's that sound

[apology to Buffalo Springfield]

The summary is a few short easy to understand paragraphs. Only the willfully ignorant (a shout out to the echo chamber) will fail to recognize "warmers" is nothing but one more pejorative used to discredit any one who has an opinion which they have been taught is wrong.

Save the planet. Kill yourself.

Used to be on our band's gig list.. But it gives away your age doesn't it?

I'm guessing that you're honestly perturbed about mixing science and politics.. Would be wonderful if we shared a common taste in music and huge distaste for meddling in science.

Bump

Seems your bunch is doing the threatoning. Sis, you are a born liar. An incompetant academic gets his walking papers, states it is because he parrots non-scientific views on global warming, and you soil your pants over the poor smuck.

Climate Scientists Under Threat: Global Warming Proponents Face Intimidation, Ominous E-Mails - ABC News

ABC News

Climate scientist Michael Mann has received hundreds of them -- threatening emails and phone calls, calling him a criminal, a communist, or worse.

Scientists See Political Campaign by Senator

Many climate scientists, however, say the most disturbing recent example of what they call intimidation is not anonymous hate mail.

Rather, they point to a governmental report released in February by Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., one of the most vocal climate skeptics in office, which names 17 climate scientists and argues some of them may have engaged in "potentially criminal behavior."

Inhofe's report referred to an incident late last year known as "Climate Gate," in which e-mails hacked from computers at the University of East Anglia in Britain gave the impression some climate scientists may have been trying to hide flaws in their research. Several subsequent investigations have exonerated the scientists' work.

Bump

Seems your bunch is doing the threatoning. Sis, you are a born liar. An incompetant academic gets his walking papers, states it is because he parrots non-scientific views on global warming, and you soil your pants over the poor smuck.

Climate Scientists Under Threat: Global Warming Proponents Face Intimidation, Ominous E-Mails - ABC News

ABC News

Climate scientist Michael Mann has received hundreds of them -- threatening emails and phone calls, calling him a criminal, a communist, or worse.

Many climate scientists, however, say the most disturbing recent example of what they call intimidation is not anonymous hate mail.

Rather, they point to a governmental report released in February by Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., one of the most vocal climate skeptics in office, which names 17 climate scientists and argues some of them may have engaged in "potentially criminal behavior."

Inhofe's report referred to an incident late last year known as "Climate Gate," in which e-mails hacked from computers at the University of East Anglia in Britain gave the impression some climate scientists may have been trying to hide flaws in their research. Several subsequent investigations have exonerated the scientists' work.
God, you are a moron. THAT is caused BY the politicization of science.

They can thank you for that.

YOU are an enemy of science.

Well this just in from the Rodney King Chair of the Compton Community College Science Dept.

Knowledge is always controvertial to someone and always political to others. Ever since Socrates this has been the case.

I wonder if the Federation of American Scientists realizes that ending the politicization of science would have to include the end of government funding of research?

I mean really, politicians are not going to fund something they do not expect to get a return off of.

Have they thought about that?

Immie

Apparently not.

The dominance of government grants to science research is probably the most corupting and calcifying thing to happen to science research since the Dark Ages.

Bump

ABC News

Lol, the universities employing these guys 'cleared' them like a political hack gets cleared of charges in some urban political machine like Chicago.

Mann *did* hide science facts, wuite literally. He then engaged in a campaign to intimidate and ostracize other scientists and science publications that do not subscribe to AGW theories.

Mann is a corrupt bastard and should be tarred, feathered and thrown in prison for fraud.

I wonder if the Federation of American Scientists realizes that ending the politicization of science would have to include the end of government funding of research?

I mean really, politicians are not going to fund something they do not expect to get a return off of.

Immie
Of course, because what you are talking about is not what they are talking about. :)

Immie

Apparently not.

The dominance of government grants to science research is probably the most corupting and calcifying thing to happen to science research since the Dark Ages.
That simply isn't true.

Immie

Apparently not.

That simply isn't true.

I think it is as scientists are getting an incentive to not find results that would be displeasing to the government or the party that dominates government spending advocacy.

If you think that no significant number of scientists would tell the government what it wants to hear simply out of altruism, I am afraid you are niave. And pro-Big State advocates will always be the lions share of those who will give the government what it wants because they have become so cynical that they tell themselves it doesnt really matter if they fudge a few numbers here and there.

'Will I use a logrythmic chart, toss out a few convenient outlyers, disregard some results that cant possibly be true and must have been corrupted, bla, blah, blah.

I used to work with some research scientists and this kind of bullshit was common to hear, but of course they might have just been kiding around, but what they did seemed to be consistent with what they said they were doing.

I see. So these government grants are affecting all scientists in all the nations? After all, it is not just the scientist here in the US that are stating the AGW is real and a clear and present danger, but the scientists in every nation that has universities with good scientific programs.

Would you care to show me one National Academy of Science from any nation that states AGW is not a fact?

You would have to educate Republicans. It's the old "Lead a horse to water...yada yada".

Apparently not.

That simply isn't true.

I think it is as scientists are getting an incentive to not find results that would be displeasing to the government or the party that dominates government spending advocacy.

If you think that no significant number of scientists would tell the government what it wants to hear simply out of altruism, I am afraid you are niave. And pro-Big State advocates will always be the lions share of those who will give the government what it wants because they have become so cynical that they tell themselves it doesnt really matter if they fudge a few numbers here and there.

'Will I use a logrythmic chart, toss out a few convenient outlyers, disregard some results that cant possibly be true and must have been corrupted, bla, blah, blah.

I used to work with some research scientists and this kind of bullshit was common to hear, but of course they might have just been kiding around, but what they did seemed to be consistent with what they said they were doing.
As one who used to be involved in the government grant process - on both sides - the government grant process does not in any way, manner, or form announce requests for proposals that include any scientific conclusion. Secondly, grant awards or denials are not determined by lack of results the government hopes to see.

Not even close.

Grant topics themselves are, definitely political. For example, a government RFP (request for proposal) might include monies for investigation of better models of warming, but will never include monies for investigation of models demonstrating warming is linked to A-CO2 (that is something that includes a scientific conclusion).

So, the political side is definitely on allocation of monies to topics, but never allocation of monies on cconclusions.

Last edited:

You would have to educate Republicans. It's the old "Lead a horse to water...yada yada".
Science has been politicized since the first man was burned to death for introducing fire to the tribe.

Immie
Of course, because what you are talking about is not what they are talking about. :)

You mean they want to have their cake and eat it too?

Immie

Forum List

Back