End of Oil is at our door step; what next?

do you believe our economy can survive without oil?

• Total voters
Explain why russians are finding oil where no fossil fuel could possibly be found...explain why very deep wells have this tendency to refill themselves.

Where are Russians finding oil where no fossil fuel could possibly be found.

If oil wells replenished themselves, the oil industry wouldn't be using fracking to squeeze out more oil. If there's a well that appears to replenish itself, it's only because there's more oil in the ground and that oil is seeping into the void created by previous pumping.

It isn't that uncommon...sorry you were unaware...here is some light reading.

Synthesis of heavy hydrocarbons at the core-mantle boundary

Oil Fields Are Refilling...Naturally - Sometimes Rapidly There Are More Oil Seeps Than All The Tankers On Earth

http://tccsa.tc/adventure/renewable_oil.pdf

Are Oil Wells Recharging Themselves? | OilPrice.com

Geochemist Says Oil FieldsMay Be Refilled Naturally

"The overwhelming preponderance of geological evidence compels the conclusion that crude oil and natural petroleum gas have no intrinsic connection with biological matter originating near the surface of the Earth

But hey...you believe what you want but to date, no rational scientifically valid process has been described for changing decaying vegetable matter to oil, while repeatable lab experiments have produced hydrocarbons from inorganic material under conditions as found in the earth's mantle

Oil wells refilling with oil is getting that oil other pockets of oil that seep into the new voids (oil is often under a lot of pressure). Any hydrocarbons produced abiotically by nature is not oil. It's methane, and such. And, even if the hydrocarbons are being produced in the Earth's crust, it took thousands of year to produce what's in the ground now. How could you expect it to be replaced in mere decades?

It's trivial to create oil in a lab from vegetable matter. It's just not efficient.

Explain why russians are finding oil where no fossil fuel could possibly be found...explain why very deep wells have this tendency to refill themselves.

Where are Russians finding oil where no fossil fuel could possibly be found.

If oil wells replenished themselves, the oil industry wouldn't be using fracking to squeeze out more oil. If there's a well that appears to replenish itself, it's only because there's more oil in the ground and that oil is seeping into the void created by previous pumping.

It isn't that uncommon...sorry you were unaware...here is some light reading.

Synthesis of heavy hydrocarbons at the core-mantle boundary

Oil Fields Are Refilling...Naturally - Sometimes Rapidly There Are More Oil Seeps Than All The Tankers On Earth

http://tccsa.tc/adventure/renewable_oil.pdf

Are Oil Wells Recharging Themselves? | OilPrice.com

Geochemist Says Oil FieldsMay Be Refilled Naturally

"The overwhelming preponderance of geological evidence compels the conclusion that crude oil and natural petroleum gas have no intrinsic connection with biological matter originating near the surface of the Earth

But hey...you believe what you want but to date, no rational scientifically valid process has been described for changing decaying vegetable matter to oil, while repeatable lab experiments have produced hydrocarbons from inorganic material under conditions as found in the earth's mantle

Oil wells refilling with oil is getting that oil other pockets of oil that seep into the new voids (oil is often under a lot of pressure). Any hydrocarbons produced abiotically by nature is not oil. It's methane, and such. And, even if the hydrocarbons are being produced in the Earth's crust, it took thousands of year to produce what's in the ground now. How could you expect it to be replaced in mere decades?

It's trivial to create oil in a lab from vegetable matter. It's just not efficient.

As is the history of science...so says the consensus...till they don't.

The human race needs to learn how to survive in comfort without oil.

Ok.,,,., we have about 40 years until it's all pumped out of the ground & that is a long time to make that transition so what the hell.

We have the time so no need to panic today.

Having said that what we need is a pilot project to undertake this change as if they/we have only 10 years to make the transition. It needs to be an isolated place with millions within. No; not Nevada but an “island” unattached to the rest.

Having said that; I think Puerto Rico and/or Cuba would make excellent sites for such a trial.

To help them out, we put Nuclear Submarine type electric generators on the Islands to help them make the transition.

What do you think?

Last edited:

It is pointless to compare the efficiency of petroleum based energy and the energy you can get out of a barrel of vegetable oil. The latter will continue to grow over time while the former will disappear in your child's life time to never to be used for this purpose again.

The debate is over; now it's time to start the transition in a big way; in my view :)-\
There just isn't anything to debate

Last edited:
Global Warming will render the 'which energy to use' subject moot. The acidification of the oceans is already well under way, the Great Barrier reef was declared dead a couple months ago and reefs around the world are dying off because the acidity in the water causes the coral to eject the photosynthesizing organisms in it. .

Tell me, do you think the oceans are more acid now than they were at the onset of the present ice age when atmospheric CO2 levels were around 1000ppm? Or more acid than when most corals evolved when atmospheric CO2 levels were in excess of 3000ppm?

Stop with your nonsense. There is no debate except in the heads of the alt-right and Exxon. You proceed from a false position so everything that follows is nonsense. The science was settled 15 years ago, now you can refuse to believe it but that doesn't negate anything. It just means you prefer to reject reality. Your choice but don't expect me or anyone else to now join you. I also don't throw in with the Flat Earth Society because they believe in nonsense as well.

Feel free to discuss your delusions with the others here and elsewhere who share them, I'm not interested. Sorry.

You bet.....

Would not want to confuse you with facts since your tiny little mind is made up.

Settled 15 years ago......

Are you an Al Gore sok ?

Ok.,,,., we have about 40 years until it's all pumped out of the ground & that is a long time to make that transition so what the hell.

Having said that what we need is a pilot project to undertake this change as if they/we have only 10 years to make the transition. It needs to be an isolated place with millions within. No; not Nevada but an “island” unattached to the rest.

Having said that; I think Puerto Rico and/or Cuba would make excellent sites for such a trial.

To help them out, we put Nuclear Submarine type electric generators on the Islands to help them make the transition.

What do you think?

I think you are full of shit.

We heard we'd peak in 1990.

Then in 2010.

Guess what...? We now have more reserves than ever before.

It is pointless to compare the efficiency of petroleum based energy and the energy you can get out of a barrel of vegetable oil. The latter will continue to grow over time while the former will disappear in your child's life time to never to be used for this purpose again.

There just isn't anything to debate

Since you can't debate anyway...why bother ?

Fossil fuel and vegetable oil...both originate as solar energy.

You stupid fuckers claim to know science and yet you have no clue as to how the energy cycle works.

Left wing retards is what you are.

[I think you are full of shit.?

It takes one to smell one; hehe

[We heard we'd peak in 1990.?

Ok, 40 years is.,a long time. First time you heard this was in 1990. 1990=40 years is the year 2030. 2030-2017 gives us 13 years;

[Guess what...? We now have more reserves than ever before.

Ok, I'm listening; show your proof---/..,\.,

Personally I hope you are right but wishful thinking just doesn't cut it

Again; I'm listening; show your proof--

please, :)-

Ok, 40 years is.,a long time. First time you heard this was in 1990. 1990=40 years is the year 2030. 2030-2017 gives us 13 years;

World Crude Oil Reserves by Year (Billion Barrels)

And we are not done locating them. In fact, we are finding oil in all kinds of places we'd never looked before.

World Crude Oil Reserves by Year (Billion Barrels)

And we are not done locating them. In fact, we are finding oil in all kinds of places we'd never looked before.

And......???

What do you think?

Ok.,,,., we have about 40 years until it's all pumped out of the ground

If you'd answered the question in post #2, you'd sound less stupid.

Climate Change will not bring about our end~~ but this will; within your grandchild’s life time

The climate has been changing since day one & it will continue to change, with or without us!!!

Today’s real issue is ENERGY, so let’s get together and fix this while we still can

The end of the Fossil Fuel era is upon us so what are we going to do next-?
Energy information Administration Official Energy Statistics from the US government

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/forecasting.html

The above report indicates that the US will be using primarily oil as our main energy source through 2030.

The world's total declared reserves are 1,317,400,000,000 barrels (January 2007).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves

World oil consumption 2005 is 80,290,000 barrels per day or 29,305,850,000 per year

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2174rank.html

Dividing annual consumption into total reserves gives us 44.9 years of oil supply at the current consumption rate.

That was eleven (11)years ago, we are not changing our habits and this spells doom for us all.

Do you have any suggestions--?

Libya will be an interesting place to watch.

· Libya’s current production rate is 1.8 million barrels of oil a day

· At that rate Libya will exhaust all its reserves within 63 years

· Existing oil fields undergoing a 7–8% decline rate

They have highways and freeways and use cars and trucks just like the rest of us do.

But up until now gas was pretty much free.

If there is going to be a drive to manufacture electric and hybrid cars for local consumption

now is the time for Libya to use its cash reserves and invest in local production of the next generation power systems.

At least in the US we have the cash and will to build a new future for America and the

people are willing to do their part too. Anyway

I hope people are trying to think this through?

Thank you all for participating in this discussion—
In 1874, the state geologist of Pennsylvania, the nation’s leading oil- producing state, estimated that only enough U.S. oil remained to keep the nation’s kerosene lamps burning for four years.

http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/bg159.pdf

Maybe & maybe not

There is an energy wall where the supper heated sea water is in constant contact with molten lava. With a temperature difference of 1303 degrees Fahrenheit

& this ridge runs on for about 1,000 miles.

Do you think this has potential?

Mid-Atlantic Ridge, submarine ridge lying along the north-south axis of the Atlantic Ocean; it occupies the central part of the basin between a series of flat abyssal plains that continue to the margins of the continental coasts. The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is in effect an immensely long mountain chain extending for about 10,000 miles (16,000 km) in a curving path from the Arctic Ocean to near the southern tip of Africa. The ridge is equidistant between the continents on either side

of it. The mountains forming the ridge reach a width of 1,000 miles. These mountains sometimes reach above sea level, thus forming the islands or island groups of the Azores, Ascension, St. Helena, and Tristan da Cunha, among others.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Mid-Atlantic-Ridge

Magma is a complex high-temperature fluid substance. Temperatures of most magmas are in the range 700 °C to 1300 °C (or 1300 °F to 2400 °F).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma

Deep ocean water has a very uniform temperature, around 0-3 °C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_ocean_water

The temperature difference at the spreading Mid Atlantic is

1303 degrees Fahrenheit &
the water does not flash into steam
the pressure is to great​

upload_2017-11-11_14-21-40.png

upload_2017-11-11_14-21-51.png

There is an energy wall where the supper heated sea water is in constant contact with molten lava. With a temperature difference of 1303 degrees Fahrenheit

& this ridge runs on for about 1,000 miles.​

Do you think this has potential?

:)-

As I see is, the trick is converting this huge temperature difference into electric power

Any ideas?

If you'd answered the question in post #2, you'd sound less stupid.

I did my research and posted the results.
I am hoping you will do your research and answer your own question for us all to see~~~

Please do it :)-

I did my research and posted the results.

Yes, I noticed your research and results from 2005 and 2007.
I wonder if drilling technology, consumption and production have changed at all since then?
If you found, and posted, numbers from 2016 or 2017, we could all see if your original claim.........

"Dividing annual consumption into total reserves gives us 44.9 years of oil supply at the current consumption rate"

........was accurate.

Do we have 45 years less the years since your data was gathered?
More? Fewer?

Can't wait for you to post the answer.

[Can't wait for you to post the answer.

Below is what I have found. You can do the math; nothing has changed

Globally, crude's reserves-to-production ratio has hovered between 40-55 years. The 1P estimate is an estimate of proven reserves, what is likely to be extracted from a well, 90% probability. Probable reserves are given 50% certainty (2P) and possible reserves a 10% certainty (3P).
https://tinyurl.com/yd7cfczq

https://tinyurl.com/yd7cfczqv

Overall, global supply fell by 720,000 barrels per day in August, .2017
Global oil demand to exceed expectations in 2017, says IEA; OPEC cuts supply

our forecast horizon we will be in a 104 mb/d market and the call on OPEC crude and stock change rises from 32.2 mb/d in 2016 to 35.8 mb/d in 2022. With the group forecast to add 1.95 mb/d to production capacity in this period, this implies that available spare production capacity will fall below 2 mb/d.
https://www.iea.org/Textbase/npsum/oil2017MRSsum.pdf

Oil is a resource… it will run out
For decades now, the topic of when our oil will run out has been the focus of analysts and industry experts. The concern is real. Oil is a resource and will eventually be depleted. Once we discover and process all sources, there’s nothing else. It’s only a question of time.

Oil still remains the largest source of primary energy worldwide. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the global supply of oil, bio-fuel and liquid hydrocarbons are still enough to meet the global demand for liquid fuels for another 25 years. The good news is that developing countries are now seriously exploring and using alternative and renewable energy.

Here’s the latest report on Oil Consumption and Demand.

1. The world oil consumption per day is 91.7 million barrels as of May 2014.

2. The U.S. is the largest oil consumer in the world, using up 18.83 million barrels a day.

3. China uses 10% of the world’s oil. It is expected to overtake the U.S. as the largest oil consumer.

4. The global oil demand is expected to increase by 1.3 million barrels a day by late 2014.

http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/World-Oil-Consumption-per-Day

[Can't wait for you to post the answer.

Globally, crude's reserves-to-production ratio has hovered between 40-55 years. The 1P estimate is an estimate of proven reserves, what is likely to be extracted from a well, 90% probability. Probable reserves are given 50% certainty (2P) and possible reserves a 10% certainty (3P).
https://tinyurl.com/yd7cfczq

https://tinyurl.com/yd7cfczqv

Overall, global supply fell by 720,000 barrels per day in August, .2017
Global oil demand to exceed expectations in 2017, says IEA; OPEC cuts supply

our forecast horizon we will be in a 104 mb/d market and the call on OPEC crude and stock change rises from 32.2 mb/d in 2016 to 35.8 mb/d in 2022. With the group forecast to add 1.95 mb/d to production capacity in this period, this implies that available spare production capacity will fall below 2 mb/d.
https://www.iea.org/Textbase/npsum/oil2017MRSsum.pdf

Oil is a resource… it will run out
For decades now, the topic of when our oil will run out has been the focus of analysts and industry experts. The concern is real. Oil is a resource and will eventually be depleted. Once we discover and process all sources, there’s nothing else. It’s only a question of time.

Oil still remains the largest source of primary energy worldwide. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the global supply of oil, bio-fuel and liquid hydrocarbons are still enough to meet the global demand for liquid fuels for another 25 years. The good news is that developing countries are now seriously exploring and using alternative and renewable energy.

Here’s the latest report on Oil Consumption and Demand.

1. The world oil consumption per day is 91.7 million barrels as of May 2014.

2. The U.S. is the largest oil consumer in the world, using up 18.83 million barrels a day.

3. China uses 10% of the world’s oil. It is expected to overtake the U.S. as the largest oil consumer.

4. The global oil demand is expected to increase by 1.3 million barrels a day by late 2014.

http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/World-Oil-Consumption-per-Day

Nothing?

the U.S. Joint Forces Command, the leader for the transformation of U.S. military capabilities from 1999-2011, projected a 10 million b/d global supply shortfall for 2015. Now, just five years later, we have a 2-3 million b/d surplus.

From your OP.....

World oil consumption 2005 is 80,290,000 barrels per day

From today.....

The world oil consumption per day is 91.7 million barrels as of May 2014.

If we only had 45 years of oil left in 2005, 12 years later, we should have 33 years left.
With 14% higher consumption, fewer than 29 years.

Globally, crude's reserves-to-production ratio has hovered between 40-55 years.

Hmmmm.....

Forum List

Back