End of Fox News as we know it?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
New York's 'epic' Fox News exposé: 5 takeaways - The Week

Fox News could change a lot when Ailes leaves
At 71, Ailes hasn't named a successor. When he's gone, his role might be split between programming chief Bill Shine and Fox senior VP Michael Clemente. But "the future could be very different," with or without Ailes, Sherman says. Rupert Murdoch's son James is on the short list to take over News Corp., Fox's parent company, and he and the other top candidates aren't as conservative as Ailes or Murdoch. Another sign of the times: "Rupert's wife, Wendi, recently agreed to host an Obama fundraiser with Russell Simmons. 'She's a big fan [of the president],'" Simmons says.

Last edited:
Ailes reportedly thinks Palin is an "idiot""
Ailes had started courting Palin right after her September 2008 national debut. But since he signed her to a three-year, $3 million contract, her ratings have disappointed, she's clashed with producers over her TV specials, and she ignored Ailes advice to "lie low" after the Gabrielle Giffords shooting in Tucson. Now, Ailes "thinks Palin is an idiot," a "Republican close to Ailes" tells Sherman. "He thinks she's stupid. He helped boost her up. People like Sarah Palin haven't elevated the conservative movement."

The Tucson shooting was a turning point at Fox
After the Tuscon rampage, Ailes "recognized that a Fox brand defined by Palin could be politically vulnerable," Sherman says. The national mood had shifted, and Ailes moved to tamp down the "silly season" he'd helped foster. Among other things, he urged star pundit Bill O'Reilly to "shoot down the 'birther' conspiracy and other assorted right-wing myths" dogging President Obama.

Glenn Beck was a financial jackpot... and a political disaster
Ailes hired Beck to fill the 5 p.m. "black hole" time slot the month before Barack Obama was elected. The mercurial newsman doubled ratings, Sherman says, succeeding "beyond anyone’s wildest hopes." But tensions surfaced immediately. Beck, already his own media franchise, didn't need to play by Fox's rules. Worse, his over-the-top verbal bomb-throwing "almost engulfed Fox itself," tarnishing both its brand and the GOP's, in Ailes' view. Ailes had to carefully let Beck go without alienating fans — or delivering "a victory for the liberal media."

no matter how much they want fixed news to stay fixed things change.

I wonder how many second amendment solution type crap we will hear next election?

my bet is not much.

They would still do it if it gained them something but now its a big loser for them.

How Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes Failed at Setting Up a Strong Republican Candidate for 2012 -- New York Magazine

The circus Roger Ailes created at Fox News made his network $900 million last year. But it may have lost him something more important: the next election.

Ailes is the most successful executive in television by a wide margin, and he has been so for more than a decade. He is also, in a sense, the head of the Republican Party, having employed five prospective presidential candidates and done perhaps more than anyone to alter the balance of power in the national media in favor of the Republicans. “Because of his political work”—Ailes was a media strategist for Nixon, Reagan, and George H. W. Bush—“he understood there was an audience,” Ed Rollins, the veteran GOP consultant, told me. “He knew there were a couple million conservatives who were a potential audience, and he built Fox to reach them.”

So it must have been disturbing to Ailes when the wheels started to come off Fox’s presidential-circus caravan. (Coincidentally or not, this happened more or less when Donald Trump jumped on: “They like me on the network,” Trump told me. “I get ratings.”) The problem wasn’t that ratings had been slipping that much—Beck’s show declined by 30 percent from record highs, but the ratings were still nearly double those from before he joined the network. It was that, with an actual presidential election on the horizon, the Fox candidates’ poll numbers remain dismally low (Sarah Palin is polling 12 percent; Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, 10 percent and 2 percent, respectively). Ailes’s *candidates-in-*waiting were coming up small. And, for all his programming genius, he was more interested in a real narrative than a television narrative—he wanted to elect a president. All he had to do was watch Fox’s May 5 debate in South Carolina to see what a mess the field was—a mess partly created by the loudmouths he’d given airtime to and a tea party he’d nurtured

How Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes Failed at Setting Up a Strong Republican Candidate for 2012 -- New York Magazine

The circus Roger Ailes created at Fox News made his network $900 million last year. But it may have lost him something more important: the next election.

Ailes is the most successful executive in television by a wide margin, and he has been so for more than a decade. He is also, in a sense, the head of the Republican Party, having employed five prospective presidential candidates and done perhaps more than anyone to alter the balance of power in the national media in favor of the Republicans. “Because of his political work”—Ailes was a media strategist for Nixon, Reagan, and George H. W. Bush—“he understood there was an audience,” Ed Rollins, the veteran GOP consultant, told me. “He knew there were a couple million conservatives who were a potential audience, and he built Fox to reach them.”

So it must have been disturbing to Ailes when the wheels started to come off Fox’s presidential-circus caravan. (Coincidentally or not, this happened more or less when Donald Trump jumped on: “They like me on the network,” Trump told me. “I get ratings.”) The problem wasn’t that ratings had been slipping that much—Beck’s show declined by 30 percent from record highs, but the ratings were still nearly double those from before he joined the network. It was that, with an actual presidential election on the horizon, the Fox candidates’ poll numbers remain dismally low (Sarah Palin is polling 12 percent; Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, 10 percent and 2 percent, respectively). Ailes’s *candidates-in-*waiting were coming up small. And, for all his programming genius, he was more interested in a real narrative than a television narrative—he wanted to elect a president. All he had to do was watch Fox’s May 5 debate in South Carolina to see what a mess the field was—a mess partly created by the loudmouths he’d given airtime to and a tea party he’d nurtured

LOLOOLOLOLOloloLOLololol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, we're so worried

Fox’s record ratings during the beginning of Obama’s presidency quickly put an end to Ailes’s fears that he would be bad for business. The network’s audience hit stratospheric levels as the tea-party rebellion provided a powerful story line that ran through Fox’s coverage. Sometimes Fox personalities took an active role in building the movement, something that Ailes was careful to check if it became too overt. In April 2010, Fox barred Hannity from broadcasting his show at a Cincinnati tea-party rally. “There would not have been a tea party without Fox,” Sal Russo, a former Reagan gubernatorial aide and the founder of the national Tea Party Express tour, told me.

Last edited:
But from the moment of Obama’s inauguration, Fox went on the offensive. Its pundits pushed stories including tales of voter intimidation by the New Black Panther Party, ACORN fraud, Obama’s czars, and Obama’s rumored $200 million–per–day trip to India. As the summer of 2009 unfolded, with tea-party anger over the stimulus and health care ratcheting up, Fox and the White House went to war. In June 2009, Obama gave an interview to CNBC’s John Harwood and lashed out. “I’ve got one television station that is entirely devoted to attacking my administration,” he said. “That’s a pretty big megaphone. You’d be hard-pressed, if you watched the entire day, to find a positive story about me on that front.”

Last edited:
Ailes also faced internal resistance to Beck’s rise. Sean Hannity complained to Bill Shine about Beck. And it didn’t help matters that O’Reilly, who had become friends with Beck and can’t stand Hannity, scheduled Beck as a regular guest, a move that only annoyed Hannity further.

Last edited:
Ailes began to doubt Palin’s political instincts. He thought she was getting bad advice from her kitchen cabinet and saw her erratic behavior as a sign that she is a “loose cannon,” as one person close to him put it. A turning point in their relationship came during the apex of the media debate over the Tucson shooting. As the media pounced on Palin’s rhetoric, Palin wanted to fight back. She felt it was deeply unfair that commentators were singling her out. Ailes agreed but told her to stay out of it. He thought if she stayed quiet, she would score a victory.

“Lie low,” he told her. “If you want to respond later, fine, but do not interfere with the memorial service.”

Palin ignored Ailes’s advice and went ahead and released her now-infamous “blood libel” video the morning Obama traveled to Tucson. For Ailes, the move was further evidence that Palin was flailing around off-message. “Why did you call me for advice?” he wondered out loud to colleagues.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back