End ethanol subsidies

Philobeado

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gulf of Mexico Coast, Texas
Corn fuel loses political clout
By THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 10, 2011

As a new slate of presidential candidates prepare to pander to Iowa voters by forcing the rest of the country to pump corn into their gas tanks, a bipartisan backlash is building. Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, and Sen. Ben Cardin, Maryland Democrat, teamed up Wednesday to introduce legislation to eliminate the 45-cents-per-gallon ethanol tax credit doled out to blenders of this unnecessary and inefficient gasoline additive that costs taxpayers $5.7 billion a year.

With only 68 percent of the energy content of gasoline, ethanol does nothing to improve fuel efficiency or make cars run better. A 2008 study by researchers with Princeton University and the Woods Hole Research Center found it didn’t even help the environment. Those who believe in the global-warming myth won’t be pleased to learn that ethanol programs encourage farmers to convert forests and grassland into space to grow highly lucrative, subsidized crops. The same market distortion pushes up prices throughout the food chain, provoking shortages in poorer nations.

It’s bad for cars, it’s bad for the environment and it’s bad for the poor. That’s why groups as diverse as Americans for Limited Government and the American Meat Institute have joined the Sierra Club and Friends of the Earth in opposing ethanol.

In addition to ending the subsidy, Congress must overturn an Environmental Protection Agency decision boosting the allowable ethanol level in gasoline from 10 to 15 percent. Most vehicles on the road today are not designed to run on an overdose of corn. Such blends can be fatal to the engines in small equipment like lawn mowers. The EPA decision is the equivalent of a mandate because the George W. Bush administration and Congress guaranteed that Americans would be forced to buy 14 billion gallons of ethanol from Big Corn.

It’s time to end the corporate welfare and pull the plug on shameless politicians attempting to buy Midwestern votes with other people’s money.

I agree with ending it on corn based ethanol. Ethanol produced from non- food byproducts should be subsidized

the problem with ethanol is they should called it ethichol.
there's a classic rift between feeding people and moving the 4 ton suv, this is how we get a bad rep in the states, ideas like ethanol which is a good idea (biofuel) but it can't be something you eat, algea?

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 10, 2011

As a new slate of presidential candidates prepare to pander to Iowa voters by forcing the rest of the country to pump corn into their gas tanks, a bipartisan backlash is building. Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, and Sen. Ben Cardin, Maryland Democrat, teamed up Wednesday to introduce legislation to eliminate the 45-cents-per-gallon ethanol tax credit doled out to blenders of this unnecessary and inefficient gasoline additive that costs taxpayers $5.7 billion a year.

With only 68 percent of the energy content of gasoline, ethanol does nothing to improve fuel efficiency or make cars run better. A 2008 study by researchers with Princeton University and the Woods Hole Research Center found it didn’t even help the environment. Those who believe in the global-warming myth won’t be pleased to learn that ethanol programs encourage farmers to convert forests and grassland into space to grow highly lucrative, subsidized crops. The same market distortion pushes up prices throughout the food chain, provoking shortages in poorer nations.

It’s bad for cars, it’s bad for the environment and it’s bad for the poor. That’s why groups as diverse as Americans for Limited Government and the American Meat Institute have joined the Sierra Club and Friends of the Earth in opposing ethanol.

In addition to ending the subsidy, Congress must overturn an Environmental Protection Agency decision boosting the allowable ethanol level in gasoline from 10 to 15 percent. Most vehicles on the road today are not designed to run on an overdose of corn. Such blends can be fatal to the engines in small equipment like lawn mowers. The EPA decision is the equivalent of a mandate because the George W. Bush administration and Congress guaranteed that Americans would be forced to buy 14 billion gallons of ethanol from Big Corn.

It’s time to end the corporate welfare and pull the plug on shameless politicians attempting to buy Midwestern votes with other people’s money.

It's past time to get RID of the EPA. Defunding it and a host of others is clear. With Food prices rising? What sense does it make to take a food supply, and turn it to fuel?

I agree with ending it on corn based ethanol. Ethanol produced from non- food byproducts should be subsidized

And you are speaking of which non-food by products, that aren't using arable land that may be used for food?

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 10, 2011

It's past time to get RID of the EPA. Defunding it and a host of others is clear. With Food prices rising? What sense does it make to take a food supply, and turn it to fuel?

NONE.:cuckoo:

Nothing should be subsidized thru the corrupt and inefficient over-bloated governmental system

Especially when it is designed to make the people alter their lifestyles for no good reason. And if they have a good reason? I have yet to hear it.

And you are speaking of which non-food by products, that aren't using arable land that may be used for food?

There are studies going on right now to use waste agricultural products for conversion to ethanol. Corn stalks, leaves, roots.....ever hear of kudzu and other crap they cut by the sides of the road?

Last edited:

Nothing should be subsidized thru the corrupt and inefficient over-bloated governmental system

Especially when it is designed to make the people alter their lifestyles for no good reason. And if they have a good reason? I have yet to hear it.

Hell yea!

If I want to dump shit into the environment...I say fuck-em

Hell yea!

There's being good stewards of our blessings of resources...and there's being wreckless.

Hell yea!

There's being good stewards of our blessings of resources...and there's being wreckless.

Screw them......let the other guy worry bout it

As long as we got cheap oil...hell with the effects

Global warming is for pussies

Let's quit burning food for fuel - and use the food to increase supply, keep prices lower, and reduce the shortages that are devastating the poor around the world.

Ethanol subsidies are mind-boggling stupid. It's just farm welfare. And its not needed given how well farmers are doing.

It should be deep-sixed ASAP.

Let's just end all subsidies.

That would work for me.

the UN food price index has gone where it has not gone before AND the admin. has decided to allow the ethanol robber barons to go to 15%, a 50% increase. Its a boondoggle, its been a boondoggle.

Rockefeller won the battle, Henry Ford had designed and did until 1917 I think, run his model T's on gasoline or ethanol.

IF we had used ethanol from the start or hemp, we would have adjusted and the balance would have been maintained with other historical consequences unimaginable, but, ole Rocky 1 spread money in the right places to the right people and petrol won the day.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back