employers put way too much stock in degrees

Judicial review

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
Columbus Ohio
I could teach you everything you need to know about math, science, history, finance, business simply by what I learned in high school and owning a business.

I say take out all the general education classes throw them out the fucking window and go directly into the core classes.

General edu classes are taught in high school. Not college. Not worth any money.

Saves everybody 2 to 3 years of college. The point of college isn't for the experience and 100000 in debt but rather to get in and out asap. Period.

I'm lucky that I'm a genius and tested out of all of that shit even though I haven't looked at the shit in 10 years. Not everybody is as fortunate.

in my interviews I'm going to tell my employer how fucking us less it is and my experience alone is enough.

fucking liberals.

Moving away from the standard personal insults and name-calling, there is actually a strategy being used by some employers that is pretty fascinating.

To (a) grab good talent early, (b) save the student the costs of college, and (c) bring new employees in who "get" what the company does and how it does it, some businesses are plucking students out of high school and putting them through their own educational/training programs.

I've only heard a few stories on this, but I could see it as a reasonable alternative. It's true, a traditional college degree may not mean that much in the real world. There certainly are companies that purposely and quite successfully function outside of traditional norms, who know that a college degree only says so much about an individual's potential.

Last edited:
Mac1958 "To (a) grab good talent early, (b) save the student the costs of college, and (c) bring new employees in who "get" what the company does and how it does it, some businesses are plucking students out of high school and putting them through their own educational/training programs" is the whiny sickening 'i don't want to pay my dues' complaint of the slackers.

Mac, no, an uneducated youngster with no college and no real work experience is not anywhere as valuable as his better educated, work experienced older peer.

Fact.

Another fact. The few we hired to attempt to mentor them through college and work into the company simply over rated themselves. They had little valued added for the college and generated a lot of angst in the company. So they were terminated, always with cause.

I could teach you everything you need to know about math, science, history, finance, business simply by what I learned in high school and owning a business.

I say take out all the general education classes throw them out the fucking window and go directly into the core classes.

General edu classes are taught in high school. Not college. Not worth any money.

Saves everybody 2 to 3 years of college. The point of college isn't for the experience and 100000 in debt but rather to get in and out asap. Period.

I'm lucky that I'm a genius and tested out of all of that shit even though I haven't looked at the shit in 10 years. Not everybody is as fortunate.

in my interviews I'm going to tell my employer how fucking us less it is and my experience alone is enough.

fucking liberals.

Good luck with that, but keep in mind if a job lists a college degree as a requirement-they wont hire you. Not because what you said isn't true (it very well could be)...BUT because it shows that you didn't bother to pay attention and/or adhere by their policies. Why should somebody hire you and reasonably expect you to perform the job properly if you can't even apply for the job properly?

Mac1958 "To (a) grab good talent early, (b) save the student the costs of college, and (c) bring new employees in who "get" what the company does and how it does it, some businesses are plucking students out of high school and putting them through their own educational/training programs" is the whiny sickening 'i don't want to pay my dues' complaint of the slackers.

Mac, no, an uneducated youngster with no college and no real work experience is not anywhere as valuable as his better educated, work experienced older peer.

Fact.

Another fact. The few we hired to attempt to mentor them through college and work into the company simply over rated themselves. They had little valued added for the college and generated a lot of angst in the company. So they were terminated, always with cause.
Evidently you either didn't read or didn't think through the ramifications and possibilities.

No matter, it will proceed with or without your approval.

Fact.

Fact.

Evidently you either didn't read or didn't think through the ramifications and possibilities. No matter, it will proceed with or without your approval. Fact. .
Think that all you want, but you can't disprove that general hiring required and preferred standards diss you.

I've noticed that "Competance" and "Technical Ability" have slowly been replaced by " Degrees" and "Certification" over the years.

I've noticed that "Competance" and "Technical Ability" have slowly been replaced by " Degrees" and "Certification" over the years.

Why wouldn't employers want somebody who is competent, has technical ability, AND has a degree?

No, you have not.

You have noticed that Degrees and Certifications accompany Competence and Technical Ability.

My experience in hiring is that the degrees may or may not matter. I have hired both many times over and found attitude is the key factor.

Hired a mechanic that had little experience but he was gifted and worked his way to a lead mechanic within a few months. Hired data engineers out of college and he had great book smarts but couldn't apply it to the real world issues.

Not to say either side is better, but I found experience and attitude seemed to be the best formula.

My experience in hiring is that the degrees may or may not matter. I have hired both many times over and found attitude is the key factor.

Hired a mechanic that had little experience but he was gifted and worked his way to a lead mechanic within a few months. Hired data engineers out of college and he had great book smarts but couldn't apply it to the real world issues.

Not to say either side is better, but I found experience and attitude seemed to be the best formula.
Yep, I think that most who hire to any extent agree with that. Many of them are hamstrung by company rules that require degrees, though, so they have to do what they're told.

The ivory tower elitists want to keep universities powerful, of course, but a diploma does not make a good or productive or valuable employee.

A degree actually does act as such a predictor, papa, in that you have a measure of dedicated behavior. If that is combined with a work behavior that can be measured as well, the predictor improves.

Last edited:
Often times requiring a degree to be hired for a job is a screening tool to screen out the less inteligent, less ambitious, or those with a lesser work ethic. Often very little of the knowledge learned to obtain the degree is used for the job, and the new hire has to be trained on the job. Many companies do well by hiring bright kids out of high school and by paying for their community college (tech school) while they also receive on the job training.

A degree actually does act as such a predictor, papa, in that you have a measure of dedicated behavior. If that is combined with a work behavior that can be measured as well, the predictor improves.

Possibly, however, many minorities can't afford to get a degree, also people get pregnant, there is illness in the family, some made early on mistakes as kids and I won't make a judgement because of their situation. We also will also pay for them to get a continuing education after they are there for six months. We had a kid come in and if he was hired he was going to pay for his night classes, if we didn't hire him he was going to take day classes. We in formed him we would pay after six months of employment, he told us that he was going to start anyway, he wanted his education. Great kid and a great hire.

I find that I go after those with the right attitude, and fit into the culture of the company. I want to see desire, I have some with degrees feel they paid their dues.

I am now looking into the issue of requiring applicants to have a degree. There may be discrimination issues with requiring applicants to have a degree, poor people and mainly certain races have little economic opportunity to go to college. Requiring an applicant to have a degree could now be considered a racial code word.

Times are changing and the law gets muddled. Just my opinion.

Good write, papa. I think everyone looking for employment should read that.

I could teach you everything you need to know about math, science, history, finance, business ...

No, you could not.

Of course I can.

Nothing you have ever posted here suggests you are capable of teaching anyone anything, you delusional headcase.

Then you haven't read my recent posts in the last 7 days that goes above and beyond the normal brain. Go read them.

Forum List

Back