Employee fired after transphobia rocks Wisconsin bar

Ask yourself why this jerky couple tried to drag their server into approving of their bigotry. They were behaving in a disgusting manner and offended her beliefs.

They should not have involved their server into their opinions. She decided that she would not serve the first group and went to her boss. The boss then decided what action to take, she could have served the first group or go home. When given a choice she decided to go home. Then she decided to take it to social media, that is what got her fired.

Lots of choices made and whatever decision each person made, they need to own up to it.

i thought that we are supposed to be sensitive to people's consciences and accommodate them these days. The owner should have found another server to take over this table, not give her a ridiculous ultimatum to violate her conscience or go home. What other recourse would she have had than to take the matter to social media? Does everyone who declares that their conscience is being violated have to "own up to it?

Who's conscience? Yours? Mine? The owner explained to her that they served EVERYONE, not just those that agreed with the server. If I went to social media and blasted my employer, I'd be fired. It is a risk, she had to know and sacrificed her job. It was her choice.

In my occupation I work with groups that I disagree with and fellow employees that go against my belief systems.

Yeah. "Who's conscience? Yours? Mine?" So you are okay with that teacher being fired because he refused to do something that he claimed violated his "conscience"?

The server's situation was even more egregious because these customers where deliberately trying to goad her into agreeing with their political beliefs and/or embarrass her. What they did was incredibly rude. She was just there to take their order.

We Americans have, in the last few years, begun to play a dangerous game that is aimed at tearing our social fabric apart, that of forcing everybody to change their behavior to accommodate every individual's "conscience" when it somehow does not allow this individual to carry out his/her duties. In view of the delicacy with which county clerks and cake bakers with "conscience" problems have been handled, it would have been much more appropriate for the manager to at least relieve this server of her duties at that table and find another willing to take her place or service the table himself.

She did not have to agree. She just had to do her job. She is the one that refused to do her job.

Instead of switching table for table, the manager sends her home leaving him one server short? The managers action was stupid.
No he said she COULD leave and so she did...he didn't demand she did. She should have stopped whining to begin with. Ignore the customers discussions unless its about the service,food,or drinks.

Why would a manager offer an employee to go home during a busy time when the problem can be solved by switching tables with another wait staff, or, wait for it.......the float person. Using "suck it up" is NEVER an appropriate response from a manager. He needs to be fired.

Maybe she wasn’t a great server to begin with, maybe she had other issues. She came in and he gave her a choice, either do what she was paid to do or go home. She went home and then blasted the customers on Facebook, she isn’t very bright. We all do things at work that We don’t want to do, but a job is a job and you are paid to do it, so you suck it up and do it. You don’t go crying to the boss.

Now you're making shit up. There was nothing in the story about her previous work history. As an employer of 40+ years, IMO the employer was wrong.

That is why is said "maybe". She was given choices, her choices got her fired. As an employer and management since I was in my 20's the employer was right.

I've worked in food service, myself. The woman's behavior was completely unacceptable. The employer was completely in the right.

She appears to be a spoiled brat who walked out on her employer on a busy night, and then preceded to log in to Facebook and trash the establishment.
And that is why she was fired.

Ask yourself why this jerky couple tried to drag their server into approving of their bigotry. They were behaving in a disgusting manner and offended her beliefs.

They should not have involved their server into their opinions. She decided that she would not serve the first group and went to her boss. The boss then decided what action to take, she could have served the first group or go home. When given a choice she decided to go home. Then she decided to take it to social media, that is what got her fired.

Lots of choices made and whatever decision each person made, they need to own up to it.
That's exactly right. I've seen it happen before...Why people think their bosses don't read their social media I'll never know...Probably the same reason some people pick their nose, or jack off in a car...they think its exciting or they won't be seen.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

I thought the first rule taught to serving people was "the customer is always right."

Not in the bar business.

You have to think about the other patrons and if they'll be offended.

A joints back in the day insisted that male customers wear jackets and ties, the other customers didn't want to get snooted with bums.

The manager of the bar was correct. They should serve everyone.

There is no right in America that says we can't be offended.

I can agree that the manager and owners of the place can determine the policies of a joint in regards to this.

However, if a joint wants to establish a dress code, like wearing clothes appropriate to their sex , that's their business. Why should they be forced to lose their Normative clientele, just because a group of homos, pimps and/or she-males wants to make themselves at home there.
Were there signs posted at the door like "appropriate attire required"?

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

i thought that we are supposed to be sensitive to people's consciences and accommodate them these days. The owner should have found another server to take over this table, not give her a ridiculous ultimatum to violate her conscience or go home. What other recourse would she have had than to take the matter to social media? Does everyone who declares that their conscience is being violated have to "own up to it?

Who's conscience? Yours? Mine? The owner explained to her that they served EVERYONE, not just those that agreed with the server. If I went to social media and blasted my employer, I'd be fired. It is a risk, she had to know and sacrificed her job. It was her choice.

In my occupation I work with groups that I disagree with and fellow employees that go against my belief systems.

Yeah. "Who's conscience? Yours? Mine?" So you are okay with that teacher being fired because he refused to do something that he claimed violated his "conscience"?

The server's situation was even more egregious because these customers where deliberately trying to goad her into agreeing with their political beliefs and/or embarrass her. What they did was incredibly rude. She was just there to take their order.

We Americans have, in the last few years, begun to play a dangerous game that is aimed at tearing our social fabric apart, that of forcing everybody to change their behavior to accommodate every individual's "conscience" when it somehow does not allow this individual to carry out his/her duties. In view of the delicacy with which county clerks and cake bakers with "conscience" problems have been handled, it would have been much more appropriate for the manager to at least relieve this server of her duties at that table and find another willing to take her place or service the table himself.

I never claimed the group was right, nor do I think they are. She decided to go home, again her choice. At that point she still had a job. It was when she took to social media that she lost her job. She didn’t make a very wise choice and paid for it. The county clerk should be fired, if she does not want to do her job. The bakers go into business knowing the laws. This girl had a job and failed to do it.

What if it was the transgender that she would not serve and no one in the establishment wanted to serve them? The manager’s view was we serve everyone, he showed tolerance, the server was intolerant.

She did not have to agree. She just had to do her job. She is the one that refused to do her job.

So we don't have to go out of our way to accommodate people who assert "conscience" or "belief" as a reason that they cannot do their jobs? Why wasn't Kim Davis fired when she refused do her job? She was mollycoddled, so why can't everybody be? Why aren't pharmacists who won't do their jobs shown the door? Why isn't everyone treated the same way?

So we don't have to go out of our way to accommodate people who assert "conscience" or "belief" as a reason that they cannot do their jobs? Why wasn't Kim Davis fired when she refused do her job? She was mollycoddled, so why can't everybody be? Why aren't pharmacists who won't do their jobs shown the door? Why isn't everyone treated the same way?

Actually, Kim Davis was tossed into jail for her act of conscience. Elected governmental officials aren't "fired". They can be rejected by the voters or sometimes impeached.

Actually, Kim Davis was tossed into jail for her act of conscience. Elected governmental officials aren't "fired". They can be rejected by the voters or sometimes impeached.

Good, and I remembered that. But the state then took her name off of everything and redesigned the marriage license. She was mollycoddled and actually cheered. The people who were forced to postpone their weddings or had to drive all over the place to get a license were never compensated, nor did they receive an apology.

How about the pharmacists? They are privately employed. From what you are saying, it's "can't do your job? Out the door!" And the server did not even bring up any topic. It was the customers who asked whether she agreed with their politics and tried to get her to criticize another customer who was not bothering them. I bet these customers never even tried to offer an apology for their bad behavior and attempts to goad her, which resulted in bad consequences for her while they got off scot-free.

I think the worst part about it is that people like these customers do their shit anonymously. They are very seldom identified by name so that they might be called out to defend themselves and their behavior.

Last edited:

The manager of the restaurant was treating everyone the same.

So she was fired for her beliefs, which conflicted with the couple's beliefs, which conflicted with the tranny's beliefs.

Sounds like she believes she can discriminate against someone who she believes discriminates.

She left on her own accord, because she couldn't deal with the belief system of someone else.

The couple don't like trannies, but they were willing to share the room with one.

The business didn't discriminate against the tranny, or the couple. Both were allowed to stay.

The only conclusion that a person can make here, is this woman is the one with the problem, she is the one who refused to serve a patron.

So she was fired for her beliefs, which conflicted with the couple's beliefs, which conflicted with the tranny's beliefs.

Sounds like she believes she can discriminate against someone who she believes discriminates.

She left on her own accord, because she couldn't deal with the belief system of someone else.

The couple don't like trannies, but they were willing to share the room with one.

The business didn't discriminate against the tranny, or the couple. Both were allowed to stay.

The only conclusion that a person can make here, is this woman is the one with the problem, she is the one who refused to serve a patron.

It's not a matter of the server not being able to deal with someone else's "belief system." It's a matter of her own belief system. You forget that the morons at this table were trying to recruit her, whatever their "belief system" is that allows them to make disparaging comments about others whom they "don't like,' and offended her beliefs in the process. She asked the owner/manager for help and the owner/manager refused to accommodate her in even the most simple way. The morons at the table actively solicited her. If they didn't like the other customers, they should have gone elsewhere. It doesn't seem that the transgender woman was involved at all.

Since you are arguing that "she was the one who refused to serve a patron," I guess you will agree that this "it's against my conscience so bow to me" thing is over. No more "conscience" clauses. Do the job or get out.

I thought the first rule taught to serving people was "the customer is always right."

BULLSHIT!

Untitled-Banner-350x530.jpg

You don't understand what it means.

The list of what he does not understand is extremely long.

So we don't have to go out of our way to accommodate people who assert "conscience" or "belief" as a reason that they cannot do their jobs? ...

Correct.

Seems like if you can wake up and be the sex you want that you should be able to have all beliefs that you want.

The server wanted her boss to provide a 'safe space' away from a couple she didn't agree with. When that didn't happen, she walked off the job and had a tantrum on social media.
The server is a typical snowflake who should find a job away from people.

Forum List

Back