Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy - The Consumerist

Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy

I am a Borders Books employee. I have been employed as a bookseller for 3.5 years. I am extremely concerned by the recent behavior of our corporate officers. The past few years haven't been pleasant for Borders employees. We have lived with constant threats from upper management, pressure to sell various nicknacks, and of course, the infamous "make book" fiasco from 2009. (We were forced to sell specific books to each customer and many, many lost their jobs over this.)

Now, with bankruptcy (possibly) looming, we are being told to focus solely on our new Borders Rewards Plus program. Again, we are living with threats of losing our jobs, having our hours cut,etc.,etc. if we do not sell these memberships. Most of us are not comfortable selling these cards because we are unsure if Borders will be around in 6 months. Management has not said one word to any employee about our financial situation. Whatever the motivation for pushing these cards on customers, it seems unethical.

What do you think USMB? Is it unethical for Borders to be having employees sell gift cards to people that would be worthless the minute they declare Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (which is very likely at the moment)?

I don't want to assume, but I wonder whether when people get gift cards from Borders, they are informed that if the company declares bankruptcy that they are worthless. I could always try it myself since I shop there from time to time. Though these days if I buy any books, it's online.

So what Doggie The Bubble Mod is wondering is if Borders Employees should create a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure by not selling Borders Gift Cards to customers.

If Borders does go BK, the likely creditors to be harmed are suppliers. In order to successfully reorganize the company, it would be inane to screw gift card holders by refusing to redeem their cards. The OP assumes that Borders will just close shop and go out of business. If there are no customers, that likelihood increases. If there is some semblance of a viable, ongoing business, then someone may purchase it.

Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy - The Consumerist

Employee: Borders Is Making Us Push Gift Cards That May Be Worthless If Company Declares Bankruptcy

I am a Borders Books employee. I have been employed as a bookseller for 3.5 years. I am extremely concerned by the recent behavior of our corporate officers. The past few years haven't been pleasant for Borders employees. We have lived with constant threats from upper management, pressure to sell various nicknacks, and of course, the infamous "make book" fiasco from 2009. (We were forced to sell specific books to each customer and many, many lost their jobs over this.)

Now, with bankruptcy (possibly) looming, we are being told to focus solely on our new Borders Rewards Plus program. Again, we are living with threats of losing our jobs, having our hours cut,etc.,etc. if we do not sell these memberships. Most of us are not comfortable selling these cards because we are unsure if Borders will be around in 6 months. Management has not said one word to any employee about our financial situation. Whatever the motivation for pushing these cards on customers, it seems unethical.

What do you think USMB? Is it unethical for Borders to be having employees sell gift cards to people that would be worthless the minute they declare Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (which is very likely at the moment)?

I don't want to assume, but I wonder whether when people get gift cards from Borders, they are informed that if the company declares bankruptcy that they are worthless. I could always try it myself since I shop there from time to time. Though these days if I buy any books, it's online.

Well, if I were close to filing bnkruptcy I'd be smarter than to be spending money on gift cards. But that's just me.

Well, if I were close to filing bnkruptcy I'd be smarter than to be spending money on gift cards. But that's just me.

I think you missed something there Willow.

If the people do not find out of Fox then it must be fine.

Could you repeat that in English?

One little letter wrong....

But since I am such a nice guy, here it is corrected just for you.

If the people do not find out on Fox then it must be fine.

This may be hard for you to understand, but this has absolutely nothing to do with Fox. Save your stupid whining about Fox for appropriate whinefests - God knows, there are enough of them.

Try and focus.... this is about Borders Books. Mmmmk?

So what Doggie The Bubble Mod is wondering is if Borders Employees should create a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure by not selling Borders Gift Cards to customers.

If Borders does go BK, the likely creditors to be harmed are suppliers. In order to successfully reorganize the company, it would be inane to screw gift card holders by refusing to redeem their cards. The OP assumes that Borders will just close shop and go out of business. If there are no customers, that likelihood increases. If there is some semblance of a viable, ongoing business, then someone may purchase it.

Again, more assumptions on your part. I never said it was wrong or unethical. I merely posted about the topic and let people come to their own conclusions on whether it was ethical or not.

Also, there is a possibility that gift cards would be worthless. A very strong possibility at that.

When a Store Goes Out of Business

If a company files for bankruptcy, it’s up to the court to decide which financial obligations are honored. Gift card holders can file a claim, but they go to the back of the line behind other creditors. Even if a company in bankruptcy honors its gift cards voluntarily, there could be limitations on where and how the cards may be used.

From what I've heard, there's no talk of reorganization - they're *closing*.

Are employees required to do their jobs so long as they're still employed? Yes. Until such time as that employment is severed.

Could you repeat that in English?

One little letter wrong....

But since I am such a nice guy, here it is corrected just for you.

If the people do not find out on Fox then it must be fine.

This may be hard for you to understand, but this has absolutely nothing to do with Fox. Save your stupid whining about Fox for appropriate whinefests - God knows, there are enough of them.

Try and focus.... this is about Borders Books. Mmmmk?

And is the media that people watch making them aware of the potential of losing money dealing with Borders?
That was my point.
Many only watch Fox for their "news"

Man, talk about knee jerk defensive posture.

Are employees required to do their jobs so long as they're still employed? Yes. Until such time as that employment is severed.

Borders or at least major shareholders are trying to buy out B&N or at least tried in order to have a merger. It wouldn't do much to solve their problems though since there is still Amazon, Bookdepository, and countless other websites on the internet that are much cheaper.

Books period are in danger of going away in favor of all electronic media which is easially modified to concela the truth and or shape society.

From today's Wall Street Journal:

Borders Group Inc. is continuing talks to a secure a $500 million credit line and has hired bankruptcy and restructuring lawyers, said people familiar with the matter.

Borders has chosen law firm Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman to advise on its current refinancing efforts, these people said. Kasowitz's instructions are to keep the company out of bankruptcy court, one of these people said.

To that end, Kasowitz met Thursday with publishers to pitch them on a plan to defer payments and is talking with GE Capital about providing a new revolving credit facility that would replace existing debt, this person said.

The new credit line would provide about $500 million in fresh capital and perhaps more, this person said, allowing Borders to repay some $220 million in current outstanding senior debt. Borders hopes the new financing can provide a bridge for the company over the next six to 12 months while it rearranges its business, this person said. ...

Borders Hires Restructuring Lawyers - WSJ.com

Borders or at least major shareholders are trying to buy out B&N or at least tried in order to have a merger. It wouldn't do much to solve their problems though since there is still Amazon, Bookdepository, and countless other websites on the internet that are much cheaper.

B&N is more stable as far as I know.. Better atmosphere, etc. I can see them trying to buy Borders out before I can see Borders trying to buy out B&N. But I could be wrong.. Either way, the need for actual books is becoming less and less.. I bought a book reader, and haven't purchased an actual book since, and that was a year ago. Prior to that, I was probably buying a book a week.

I don't think I'll ever purchase a book reader. I enjoy the real thing too much.

*shrug*. But it's also unlikely I'll ever purchase one simply because of the price tag.

I don't think I'll ever purchase a book reader. I enjoy the real thing too much.

*shrug*. But it's also unlikely I'll ever purchase one simply because of the price tag.

At the rate I buy and read books, I don't enjoy *storing* them so much.

I DO still sit in B&N Starbucks and flip through cookbooks, tho. :D

Forum List

Back