Employed, Unemployed and Uninsured.

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV

How do the GOP plan to help those millions of Americans who are employed, unemployed and uninsured after they repeal or defund Obamacare? Obamacare is already helping millions of Americans.

Some had healthcare, but became unemployed and could not afford COBRA. Some who are employed, has healthcare and cannot afford to use it because of co-pays and deduction.

Case scenario; A woman with two children, quit her $40,000 job with no healthcare after 11 years to take a job at Starbucks because of the healthcare insurance they offer. One child is in college full time and will graduate in 2012 instead of 2013. She is now earning less, receiving food stamps, energy assistance, paying her mortgage and doing well. She was covered by her ex-husband until he was laid off twice in the last 4 years. She made the decision when her daughter needed a MRI and could not afford the co-pay or her ex’s insurance would not pay for it. If she becomes unemployed she will be without healthcare. Americans should not have to live with this kind of fear. This kind of fear forces people on welfare. Poor but safe.

Americans need Obamacare even if it is not perfect. Nothing is perfect. This woman is just one example of millions of Americans who need healthcare or have healthcare and cannot afford to use it or afford to buy it at all.

Medicare and Medicaid is not perfect but it is providing healthcare for millions of Americans.

GOP’s plan for healthcare to replace Obamacare if for people to “buy” “private healthcare” across state lines?” What part of “can’t afford healthcare” do they not understand?
They refuse to acknowledge the fact that we have poor people in this country of no fault of their own.

Republicans do not care about Americans except in slogans. Slogans work well as the last election proved. It could be that all Americans don't care about Americans, well I guess that is true in the obvious sense. We are the only Christian nation, a nation that assumes a mantle of holiness, but is unholy. The golden rule is the one slogan republicans forget completely.

Moral budget: http://bigthink.com/ideas/37915

"Not only does there seem to be widespread social fragmentation and disillusionment with democracy in the United States, but the possibility of reversing this sense of alienation appears to many of us to be already lost. Any democratic president who wants to institute the desperately needed reforms in health, welfare and the environment faces one of two options. He can stick by his reform program and suffer a loss of public confidence through orchestrated campaigns to publicly portray him as 'too liberal' and ineffectual (the Carter image) or too indecisive or sexually indiscreet (the Clinton image). Alternatively, a reforming democratic president can move further to the Right, forget his promises and become part of the propaganda campaign. Given the history of democratic propaganda in the United States, some of us doubt that another Roosevelt or New Deal is possible. The political system is now so attuned to business interests that this kind of reformer could no longer institute the substantial health, welfare, education, environmental and employment reforms the country needs." Andrew Lohrey, Introduction, Alex Carey "Taking the Risk Out of Democracy"

Last edited:
I am not against Healthcare reform but I am against how it was shoved down our throats and its mandatory. They should not be allowed to force us to have healthcare PERIOD. People say they make us have car insurance. Not true. You dont have to drive or own a car its an option !!! I am all for everyone having an chance to have healthcare my problem is how they went around doing it!!

How do the GOP plan to help those millions of Americans who are employed, unemployed and uninsured after they repeal or defund Obamacare? Obamacare is already helping millions of Americans.

Some had healthcare, but became unemployed and could not afford COBRA. Some who are employed, has healthcare and cannot afford to use it because of co-pays and deduction.

Case scenario; A woman with two children, quit her $40,000 job with no healthcare after 11 years to take a job at Starbucks because of the healthcare insurance they offer. One child is in college full time and will graduate in 2012 instead of 2013. She is now earning less, receiving food stamps, energy assistance, paying her mortgage and doing well. She was covered by her ex-husband until he was laid off twice in the last 4 years. She made the decision when her daughter needed a MRI and could not afford the co-pay or her ex’s insurance would not pay for it. If she becomes unemployed she will be without healthcare. Americans should not have to live with this kind of fear. This kind of fear forces people on welfare. Poor but safe.

Americans need Obamacare even if it is not perfect. Nothing is perfect. This woman is just one example of millions of Americans who need healthcare or have healthcare and cannot afford to use it or afford to buy it at all.

Medicare and Medicaid is not perfect but it is providing healthcare for millions of Americans.

GOP’s plan for healthcare to replace Obamacare if for people to “buy” “private healthcare” across state lines?” What part of “can’t afford healthcare” do they not understand?
They refuse to acknowledge the fact that we have poor people in this country of no fault of their own.

I've tried presenting scenarios such as this one other times on this site. One of three things happens in response

1) They ignore it
2) They tell me that these types of scenarios are "unrealistic"
3) I get responses that involve ridiculous solutions including "ideas" such as declaring bankruptcy and using power of attorney. :confused: (See signature)

These people don't have real world solutions that would work in our society today. They have broad stroke talking points and hypocrisy.

Good luck getting an intelligent answer to your scenario.

I've got a couple of questions about your case scenario. How much does this woman make now at Starbucks? What is her yearly income? What was her $40,000 a year job that she quit because they didn't offer health insurance? Did, in fact, the previous job not offer health insurance? Or did she CHOOSE not to take advantage of their health insurance? Because there is a difference.

And since when is someone who can afford to pay a mortgage on a house considered "poor?"

What are we going to mandate next? What are the taxpayers going to be billed for? I get it, there are sob stories out there about people who can't afford health insurance. There are also sob stories out there about people who can't afford to buy a house. Is government going to make it mandatory that everyone gets to be a homeowner next? Or should we start small? Should the government mandate that every person needs to have a car. I got it, let's mandate that every person of 18 should have a Chevy Volt. That way we can help out with global warming and at the same time help those less fortunate people who may not be able to afford to drive an electric car.

Where do we stop? What's going to be mandated by our government next?

Rick

Where is it my government's job to provide anyone with health care, much less require it?

Two documents called the Declaration and Constitution.

Those two documents say that every American should be forced to purchase health insurance even if they don't want it? Really? Please point out to me exactly where it says that in those two documents.

And why stop there, couldn't you also argue then that it is in every American's best interest to own a computer? A car? A home? Let's just mandate all of those as well.

Rick

Where is it my government's job to provide anyone with health care, much less require it?

Those two documents say that every American should be forced to purchase health insurance even if they don't want it? Really? Please point out to me exactly where it says that in those two documents.

So are we going with the "it must explicitly state everything in the constitution" argument today? If so, let's discuss the Air Force and Nuclear weapons.

And why stop there, couldn't you also argue then that it is in every American's best interest to own a computer? A car? A home? Let's just mandate all of those as well.

Rick

Why take everything to an extreme? Where have I or anyone argued that every american is entitled to owning a home or a computer? You can be rational without taking things to the extreme with your "what if" scenarios. Nothing is more important then your health and thats the only reason I support ensuring all citizens can get all the healthcare that they need.

So are we going with the "it must explicitly state everything in the constitution" argument today? If so, let's discuss the Air Force and Nuclear weapons.

If you can show me where I've said anything different you can use this argument. I'll wait for you to find it.

Rick

Why take everything to an extreme? Where have I or anyone argued that every american is entitled to owning a home or a computer? You can be rational without taking things to the extreme with your "what if" scenarios. Nothing is more important then your health and thats the only reason I support ensuring all citizens can get all the healthcare that they need.

I'd be willing to bet you a large sum of money that if you'd said 30 years ago that the government would mandate health insurance a vast majority of the population would have said, "Why take everything to an extreme?"

I'm not taking anything to an extreme, I'm merely asking a question. And the question is, if we start mandating things that all Americans must purchase, where does it stop? I know you'll say "of course, it stops with health insurance." But we're setting a precedent here. And as you know once a precedent is set it opens the door for other things to follow.

So, tell me, exactly where do we stop?

In a town in Maine the school district is supplying every kindergartner with a $500 I pad. How long do you think it'll be before it's mandated that every student should start school with an I pad? I don't think it's a far jump, when we start mandating that every American should have a certain thing, that other larger things will follow.

I'd like to know where we stop. It's a serious question.

Rick

Rick

YOU stated that those two documents said that Government owes every american healthcare.

It's up to YOU to provide the evidence.......Either provide it, or run along.

Maybe next time, you might try thinking before speaking.

If you can show me where I've said anything different you can use this argument. I'll wait for you to find it.

So you're in favor of disbanding the air force?

Rick

I'd be willing to bet you a large sum of money that if you'd said 30 years ago that the government would mandate health insurance a vast majority of the population would have said, "Why take everything to an extreme?"

I'm not taking anything to an extreme, I'm merely asking a question. And the question is, if we start mandating things that all Americans must purchase, where does it stop? I know you'll say "of course, it stops with health insurance." But we're setting a precedent here. And as you know once a precedent is set it opens the door for other things to follow.

In a town in Maine the school district is supplying every kindergartner with a $500 I pad. How long do you think it'll be before it's mandated that every student should start school with an I pad? I don't think it's a far jump, when we start mandating that every American should have a certain thing, that other larger things will follow.

Rick

We stop with health insurance. I've never advocated for requiring any other product/service but we unfortunately live in a society where having health insurance really is the only way to get sufficient health care for the masses. You can't live in fear of what *might* happen when we need to fix what IS happening. I support health care for all because I believe that is a basic right. Owning a computer or a house is not a right and I would not support that. We are individuals with brains who should be able to decide what makes sense on a case-by-case basis and be afraid of the "what-ifs" is ridiculous since we should be concerned with what "what is".

Last edited:

Now who's taking everything to the extreme? I'm not talking about the Air Force. I'm talking about health insurance, and the fact that our government finds it necessary to mandate that every American purchase it.

When you stop taking everything to the extreme you can continue to preach at me for doing it too. Do you know the definition of hypocrite?

Rick

We stop with health insurance. I've never advocated for requiring any other product/service but we unfortunately live in a society where having health insurance really is the only way to get sufficient health care for the masses. You can't live in fear of what *might* happen when we need to fix what IS happening. I support health care for all because I believe that is a basic right. Owning a computer or a house is not a right and I would not support that. We are individuals with brains who should be able to decide what makes sense on a case-by-case basis and be afraid of the "what-ifs" is ridiculous since we should be concerned with what "what is".

Famous last words. And I see you just glossed over what I said about the school district in Maine. How long do you seriously think it'll be before it is mandated that every school aged child should have an I pad or computer? Especially after this school district in Maine is doing this. How much do you want to bet that parents in the next school district over will start screaming and yelling about how their kindergarten child is now at a disadvantage because they don't have an I pad like their neighboring school district is supplying?

Rick

Last edited:

Rick

Rick

Now who's taking everything to the extreme? I'm not talking about the Air Force. I'm talking about health insurance, and the fact that our government finds it necessary to mandate that every American purchase it.

When you stop taking everything to the extreme you can continue to preach at me for doing it too. Do you know the definition of hypocrite?
You have to understand where I am coming from. Some people on this site will argue that unless something is explicitly mentioned in the constitution then we can't be involved with it. So, that's why I was asking where you stood on the issue. I can just say that "General Welfare" would involve ensuring the health of our citizens.

Rick

Famous last words.

Rick

That's it? Really? :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
Famous last words. And I see you just glossed over what I said about the school district in Maine. How long do you seriously think it'll be before it is mandated that every school aged child should have an I pad or computer? Especially after this school district in Maine is doing this. How much do you want to bet that parents in the next school district over will start screaming and yelling about how their kindergarten child is now at a disadvantage because they don't have an I pad like their neighboring school district is supplying?:

I edited my previous post while you were quoting it.

Again, why do we need to deprive people of something that is literally about life and death and affecting millions of people now, because of what *might* happen down the road and on a much smaller scale. I don't understand the fear. If you support people being able to get health care no matter what then support it, if you are against every student getting a computer/ipad/etc... then don't support that. I don't understand what a vote for one means you have to vote for all? Vote for and support what you think is important on a case by case basis. :confused:

Famous last words. And I see you just glossed over what I said about the school district in Maine. How long do you seriously think it'll be before it is mandated that every school aged child should have an I pad or computer? Especially after this school district in Maine is doing this. How much do you want to bet that parents in the next school district over will start screaming and yelling about how their kindergarten child is now at a disadvantage because they don't have an I pad like their neighboring school district is supplying?:

Again, why do we need to deprive people of something that is literally about life and death and affecting millions of people now, because of what *might* happen down the road and on a much smaller scale. I don't understand the fear. If you support people being able to get health care no matter what then support it, if you are against every student getting a computer/ipad/etc... then don't support that. I don't understand what a vote for one means you have to vote for all? Vote for and support what you think is important on a case by case basis. :confused:

As has been pointed out here countless times before, all Americans have access to health care. Not all of them have health insurance.

There are county hospitals all over the U.S. where anyone can enter and receive health care without insurance. In fact they CAN NOT be denied health care at these hospitals.

The truth of the matter is, EVERY American has access to health care. But you won't hear about that, all you'll hear about is the fact that not every American has health insurance.

You don't need health insurance to get health care, no matter what your current financial situation is.

Maybe it's just a matter of educating people on our health system instead of taking the huge step of mandating each and every American purchase something even if they don't want to purchase it.

This is the problem, everyone is listening to all of the rhetoric that is out there, and not using their heads.

I don't agree with this health care bill that says that every American must purchase health insurance. And I don't agree with fining people who CHOOSE not to purchase health insurance. We are restricting the will of the American people with this health care bill.

Rick

As has been pointed out here countless times before, all Americans have access to health care. Not all of them have health insurance.

There are county hospitals all over the U.S. where anyone can enter and receive health care without insurance. In fact they CAN NOT be denied health care at these hospitals.

The truth of the matter is, EVERY American has access to health care. But you won't hear about that, all you'll hear about is the fact that not every American has health insurance.

You don't need health insurance to get health care, no matter what your current financial situation is.

Maybe it's just a matter of educating people on our health system instead of taking the huge step of mandating each and every American purchase something even if they don't want to purchase it.

This is the problem, everyone is listening to all of the rhetoric that is out there, and not using their heads.

I don't agree with this health care bill that says that every American must purchase health insurance. And I don't agree with fining people who CHOOSE not to purchase health insurance. We are restricting the will of the American people with this health care bill.

Rick

There is a big difference between bare minimum basic care designed to stabilize and quality care. You can call it rhetoric or whatever you want but when people are being denied life saving procedures or being dropped from their insurance when they become ill or go bankrupt even when they DO have insurance...that tells you the system is broken. Your argument that requiring people to buy health insurance is setting some sort of dangerous precedent is ridiculous. The danger is now, we are living it and not doing anything will cause WAY more harm then anything you could possibly be scared of that *might* come one day down the road.

Do you have health insurance? Would you go without it if given the choice?

Rick

There is a big difference between bare minimum basic care designed to stabilize and quality care. You can call it rhetoric or whatever you want but when people are being denied life saving procedures or being dropped from their insurance when they become ill or go bankrupt even when they DO have insurance...that tells you the system is broken. Your argument that requiring people to buy health insurance is setting some sort of dangerous precedent is ridiculous. The danger is now, we are living it and not doing anything will cause WAY more harm then anything you could possibly be scared of that *might* come one day down the road.

Again, rhetoric. If you go to a county hospital without insurance, you will get the same life saving techniques used as the person in the next room with insurance.

Do I have insurance? Yes, I currently do have insurance. Have I always had insurance? Absolutely not. And it was my choice at the time. Could I have afforded it? Not always, but I didn't think it was the problem of anyone else to provide it for me.

And yes, when I was without insurance I had health problems.

Guess what? I found out that even if you don't go to a county hospital, if you go to a regular hospital without health insurance, they will still treat you. And I got a bill. Do you know what I did? I didn't go crying to anyone else about how it's so unfair that I got a bill from a hospital. I contacted the hospital and said "I can't pay this bill right now, but to show you that I have every intention of paying it I'll send you $50 a month until either it is paid off or until I can afford to pay more." They told me thanks for letting them know and they let me pay off my bill as slowly as I needed to pay it off.

I'd be willing to bet that if you did the same thing at most health facilities they would give the same reaction. Hospitals don't like sending customers to collectors, but when customers don't contact them in good faith what choice do they have? If I'd just not made a payment and not contacted the hospital, my bill would have gone to collections. But, since I made a reasonable attempt to pay off what I owed, it didn't.

Rick

Rick

Again, rhetoric. If you go to a county hospital without insurance, you will get the same life saving techniques used as the person in the next room with insurance.

Do I have insurance? Yes, I currently do have insurance. Have I always had insurance? Absolutely not. And it was my choice at the time. Could I have afforded it? Not always, but I didn't think it was the problem of anyone else to provide it for me.

And yes, when I was without insurance I had health problems.

Guess what? I found out that even if you don't go to a county hospital, if you go to a regular hospital without health insurance, they will still treat you. And I got a bill. Do you know what I did? I didn't go crying to anyone else about how it's so unfair that I got a bill from a hospital. I contacted the hospital and said "I can't pay this bill right now, but to show you that I have every intention of paying it I'll send you $50 a month until either it is paid off or until I can afford to pay more." They told me thanks for letting them know and they let me pay off my bill as slowly as I needed to pay it off.

I'd be willing to bet that if you did the same thing at most health facilities they would give the same reaction. Hospitals don't like sending customers to collectors, but when customers don't contact them in good faith what choice do they have? If I'd just not made a payment and not contacted the hospital, my bill would have gone to collections. But, since I made a reasonable attempt to pay off what I owed, it didn't.

Rick

And what if when you had no insurance you suffered a heart attack, or found out you had cancer? Still going to pay that off at $50 a month? How long will that take? There is no way you would be able to afford those bills, but does that mean you should be denied the care you need? Of course not. Hospitals may 'work' with you, but that doesn't mean they just eat that cost. That money that you can't pay gets passed on to the rest of us through higher costs for our care. It's a vicious cycle that has nothing to do with rhetoric and everything to do with what faces millions and millions of americans every year.

Forum List

Back