Empathy versus Law

This is just another BS term that means "politically correct." To try to discuss it, like it was anthing more than that is a waste of time. It means nothing specific, other than being kosher on socially liberal issues. These people have no more "empathy" than anyone else, they have just stumbled upon another nice sounding word they can co-opt and use as code language. Its kind of sad.

Should a judge without empathy be nominated and approved?

They have been, they are called Stephens, Breyer, Ginsberg, the recently retired Souter, etc, etc. These people are the ones who actually have no empathy for those who really need it (the unborn child, the victim of heinous crime, the person passed over for a job because they are a "traditionally dominant group," etc, etc, etc). This "empathy" is a CROCK. They aint' got none.

On Empathy vs. Law...I have a question.

Why need it be framed in an adverserial statement? One....or the other.

Why can't you have both? Are they mutually exclusive? I don't think so.

I also notice that the author takes only a brief portion of Obama's statement to base his judgement on.

Obama's entire quote:

"Now, the process of selecting someone to replace Justice (David) Souter is among my most serious responsibilities as president, so I will seek somebody with a sharp and independent mind and a record of excellence and integrity. I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a casebook; it is also about how our laws affect the daily realities of people's lives, whether they can make a living and care for their families, whether they feel safe in their homes and welcome in their own nation. I view that quality of empathy, of understanding and identifying with people's hopes and struggles, as an essential ingredient for arriving at just decisions and outcomes. I will seek somebody who is dedicated to the rule of law, who honors our constitutional traditions, who respects the integrity of the judicial process and the appropriate limits of the judicial role. I will seek somebody who shares my respect for constitutional values on which this nation was founded and who brings a thoughtful understanding of how to apply them in our time."

I also notice that the author takes only a brief portion of Obama's statement to base his judgement on.

Obama's entire quote:

"Now, the process of selecting someone to replace Justice (David) Souter is among my most serious responsibilities as president, so I will seek somebody with a sharp and independent mind and a record of excellence and integrity. I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a casebook; it is also about how our laws affect the daily realities of people's lives, whether they can make a living and care for their families, whether they feel safe in their homes and welcome in their own nation. I view that quality of empathy, of understanding and identifying with people's hopes and struggles, as an essential ingredient for arriving at just decisions and outcomes. I will seek somebody who is dedicated to the rule of law, who honors our constitutional traditions, who respects the integrity of the judicial process and the appropriate limits of the judicial role. I will seek somebody who shares my respect for constitutional values on which this nation was founded and who brings a thoughtful understanding of how to apply them in our time."

thanks for enlightening us on what he ACTUALLY said, in context. appreciate it!

i'll take a stab at it :D

as with getting a jury of your peers, for fairness of your fate....or to be empathetic in your circumstances...

he did not say sympathetic, thank god!

sc justices have been picked on the single issue of whether they would support or reject roe v wade/abortion

they have been picked for being a man of color....c thomas

they have been picked for being female....

they have been picked for being pro business/pro corporation....

they have been picked for being federalists....

why not someone on the team that is empathetic of the average guy?

this is a political pick, made by our presidents, and our founders were well aware of such....

Please allow me to remind you, as I pointed out in the earlier thread, that in the case of Roberts, Obama was tasked with voting 'yea' or 'nay' on his confirmation. Upon careful review of Roberts' record, Obama orated that he was impressed BUT based solely on HIS impression of 1% of Roberts' rulings (that 1% didn't display the appropriate empathy in HIS opinion), Obama could not bring himself to vote in favor of his appointment. 1% overrides 99%? How fucked is that? And we're supposed to accept EMPATHY as a sound reason for appointment? Sheesh....

Obama has soaring rheotic, like Reagan, but, like Reagan, he is first, last and always a partisan politician and his actions will always reveal his real motives, positions and beliefs.

1% does not override 99%, but the Democratic talking points override reason, logic, justice and experience.

It's too bad. I had hopes...

Obama's entire quote:

Almost word for word what he said when he was weighing his decision on Roberts' confirmation. 1% trumped 99%.

Obama's entire quote:

Welcome :)

What I find really interesting is that the righwing pundits select one sentence out of the entire quote and use it to define Obama's set of judicial qualifications for a nominee. They totally ignore the rest of it.

Obama's entire quote:

Welcome :)

What I find really interesting is that the righwing pundits select one sentence out of the entire quote and use it to define Obama's set of judicial qualifications for a nominee. They totally ignore the rest of it.

It's called Politics, or Political posturing! :(

I was thinking about the football analogy used in editorial and I thought how would that address fairness or justice in the real world. It is more of a might makes right argument as individual equality or even opportunity in the playing field would have no recourse. It is why monopolies are sued and why they are broken up. The argument doesn't hold up to the values set forth in our own Constitution. Rules would need to fit the world we live in not a game world.

Curious....where was all the conservative outrage when Bush 1 said "He is a delightful and warm, intelligent person who has great empathy and a wonderful sense of humor" about Clarence Thomas...

Fake outrage, much?

If I am the person that broke the law and was on trial I would appreciate the judge being "very empathetic" towards me and maybe even find me not guilty. However, if someone has done me wrong and we are in court, I would hope the judge would not be "empathetic" towards the criminal and throw the book at them! Think about what I have just said. I think this is a perfect example of why we need judges to use the rule of law rather than any empathnic reasoning in any case.

What is the role of a U.S. Supreme Court justice? A reasonable start for an answer is the recognition that our Constitution represents the rules of the game. A Supreme Court justice has one job and one job only namely; he is a referee. There is nothing complicated about this. A referee's job, whether he is a football referee or a Supreme Court justice, is to know the rules of the game and make sure that they are evenly applied without bias. Do we want referees to allow empathy to influence their decisions?

I don't know if this guy got past 8th grade, or if English is his second language.

He clearly doesn't know what empathy means. He's confusing empathy with compassion.

Forum List

Back