Emerson CEO Says Obama Policies Hurting the Economy

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Now, to tell you how bad this is and tell you what I think Washington is doing right now, Washington is doing everything in their manpower capability to destroy US manufacturers, fundamentally destroy US manufacturers.

Cap and trade, medical reform, labor rules, whatever they want to do, raise taxes. They're just going to destroyed jobs. We have already reached 7.3 million jobs in this downturn. We're going to 8. That is a summation of the last four downturns.

So what do you think the recovery is going to be in jobs? It ain't going to be very good. I listen to everything Washington is doing -- wasting money, raising the deficit to 10, $12 trillion -- the debt level to 10, $12 trillion, going to $23 trillion; raising taxes; putting regulations and requirements on me as a manufacturing company.

What do you think I'm going to do? I'm not going to hire anybody in the United States. I'm moving. So they're doing everything possible to destroy jobs, in my opinion. That's my opinion as a manufacturer and we employ 125,000 people worldwide. So I do know what the (expletive) I'm talking about.

We used to employ a lot more in the United States and we will continue to move [all this]. When I see guys like this, Wall Street bailouts, car bailouts, I'm looking -- what are these guys doing with our money? They're wasting trillions of dollars, trillions of dollars.

So what they are going to do, they're going to pass a new medical healthcare, raise my costs, jobs will go. Cap and trade, tax me, jobs will go. It's pretty straightforward. What they're doing right now ain't working. 8 million jobs, summation of the last four downturns….

Jeff Matthews Is Not Making This Up: The New Risk Factor: Expletive Deleted

We need ORCS in all of our Big Cities. We need thousands of ORCS, and thousands of Fifty Gallon cans on wheels and thousands of shovels and brooms. Put them to work cleaning up the streets and sidewalks.

In the U.S. before FDR it was better to move your wife and daughters to the frontier and farm than brave life in the big cities.

Then we ran out of Indian land to give away in the west, the country started to evolve into a scarier place and something had to be done.

They're just going to destroyed jobs.
The fellow is actually quite consistent with the historical structuralist approach to international political economy. Multinationals use capital mobility in order to put pressure on regimes to adopt greater labour flexibility. We then get a 'race to the bottom' as across country labour competition intensifies exploitative.

The important aspect is that the US creates "good jobs". That actually means regulation is a positive phenomena, as it reduces the available profit in low productivity employment. Resources can be shifted away from low skilled employment

We've been driving jobs out of America for the last fifty years, folks.

What we're facing now is the outcome of these stupid policies.

FREE TRADE was anything but free.

FREE TRADE was anything but free.
The US doesn't have free trade. It still imposes numerous protectionist measures, which certainly have been more damaging to the economy than the standard hullabaloo about outsourcing.

Forum List

Back