Emergency land sell

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
There is no individual or nation in the world that owns more land than the US Government. Desperate times deserve desperate measures. Perhaps it is time that this government start selling some of this land to pay down on the tremendous amount of debt that they have given us. I personally prefer that it only be available to American citizens. Think of the value of some of the oil rich land we have accross this country and the enormous amount of money it would bring. Why does this government need so much land?

There is no individual or nation in the world that owns more land than the US Government. Desperate times deserve desperate measures. Perhaps it is time that this government start selling some of this land to pay down on the tremendous amount of debt that they have given us. I personally prefer that it only be available to American citizens. Think of the value of some of the oil rich land we have accross this country and the enormous amount of money it would bring. Why does this government need so much land?

Great idea, but it flies in the face of Agenda 21 so it will NEVER happen.

What federally owned lands do you think should be sold? National parks? Wilderness areas? Military bases and bombing ranges? National monuments?

Please be a little more specific. In fact, can you identify one piece of property you think we don't need any more?

What federally owned lands do you think should be sold? National parks? Wilderness areas? Military bases and bombing ranges? National monuments?

Please be a little more specific. In fact, can you identify one piece of property you think we don't need any more?

Wilderness areas would be the top of the list. The desperate situation that this administration has put us in perhaps we should not take anything off the table. There is a tremendous amount of land that the government owns that is not being used for anything and never has been used for anything. In the future I will try to be more specific.

The Feds own 85% of Nevada, the majority of western states, and 30% of all the landmass in America. Something tells me we can find plenty of land to sell that isn't absolutely needed for defense or even national parks.

Selling land is how we last paid off our debt. Unfortunately, you'll have to go back to Jackson for that kind of fiscal responsibility.

Anything and everything controlled by the BLM, for starters.

Turn responsibility for dealing with national forests, grasslands, monuments, ecetera to the states.

That would be a good start.

sell it to who?

American citizens

While I agree we should sell any assets that are not absolutely necessary, including land, I disagree with your position that the sale should be restricted to any one group. If our goal to generate revenue to pay down debt, we should sell to the highest bidder. I couldn't care less what nationality the new owner of some land in Nevada will be, just that he paid the highest price the market would bear for that land.

the Land should always remain a part of the National Heritage and is rightfully administered by the gov't for all American citizens.

if Republicans want to pay down the Debt they need only let their 2003 tax legislation expire January 2nd and stop making excuses and senseless proposals for a debt condition they are responsible for creating.

I want a Condominium on the reflection pool in front of the Washington Monument.

I could watch everything.

the Land should always remain a part of the National Heritage and is rightfully administered by the gov't for all American citizens.

Problem is, the Feds keep buying more land. Just how much should they own? Further, they're using money from China and putting debt on future generations to do it. Just how much "National Heritage" do we need?

if Republicans want to pay down the Debt they need only let their 2003 tax legislation expire January 2nd and stop making excuses and senseless proposals for a debt condition they are responsible for creating.

Oh...my...God. Do you really think that tax rate hikes could generate enough revenue to pay down deficit, much less the debt?! You're out of your mind. First, there's the real possibility that tax hike will result in LESS revenue. We learn how that happens just this week in the UK, where tax hikes on the rich resulted in fewer rich people and less tax revenue. Second, I don't care if you CONFISCATED all the wealth of all the billionaires in American, it wouldn't be enough to cover THIS YEAR'S DEFICIT, much less begin to tackle the debt.

It's a spending problem, not a revenue problem!

Thank you, Friedrich Engels. :rolleyes:

The debt has been accumulated by both parties, hackasaurus rex....Time for them to sell off assets and pay the bills, just like anyone else would be expected to do.

so the righties/lolibertarians never believed in manifest destiny?

What in the hell does believing the expansion of America across the continent in the 19th century was justified have to do with today's government owning too much land and other assets in the face of crippling debt?

Last edited:
Ok, maybe the parks service could lease me the Washington Monument in perpituity.

Do you think they will get upset when I paint it purple and gold? I am sort of an LSU fan.

Your initial statement is false, Queen Elizabeth is the biggest land owner in the world followed by the Russian government, and the Chinese government. The US government is a distant fourth compared with the leaders. That inaccuracy aside, I wonder which one of the big three you are interested in selling off the national treasure to? China already owns a lot of US land whereas Americans are not exactly buying up real estate like hotcakes right now.

Forum List

Back