Emergency Brake Light

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
Every so often, the emergency brake light comes on in my car. The brake is not on, just the light. It usually goes off again after a couple of minutes. How worried should I be about this? Is it a signal that something major is wrong with the electrical stuff in my car, or is it just no big deal?

Nienna said:
Every so often, the emergency brake light comes on in my car. The brake is not on, just the light. It usually goes off again after a couple of minutes. How worried should I be about this? Is it a signal that something major is wrong with the electrical stuff in my car, or is it just no big deal?

Check your brake fluid. :)

The Master Cylinder should be on teh driver's side, under the hood, near the firewall.

What year, make and model car? How many miles since brake service?

Like D said, check the brake fluid, however many newer cars now have sensors on the brake pads that will illuminate the light when replacement is needed.

Thanks guys! My husband said he'd take care of it. My suspicion is that he doesn't know what he's doing, either. However, I have been ejected from the garage. :D

it could also be the brake cable is either worn or loose. Our Caddy's does the same thing (it's a foot brake, not hand brake) and due to the age of the car (92 Seville)and repeated use over time, we now have to replace it. Right now, it is loose enough to touch the sensor and the light goes on. But Tim rigged it up with a zip tie until we can get it fixed.

fuzzykitten99 said:
it could also be the brake cable is either worn or loose. Our Caddy's does the same thing (it's a foot brake, not hand brake) and due to the age of the car (92 Seville)and repeated use over time, we now have to replace it. Right now, it is loose enough to touch the sensor and the light goes on. But Tim rigged it up with a zip tie until we can get it fixed.

good call too, Fuzzy !

Mr. P said:
It could just need adjustment, Fuzzy.
Edit: On your Seville
a while back we had it looked at while it was getting an oil change and coolant flush (as long as the hood was up) and they said it should be replaced. The mechanic at the shop we take it to even showed us that it is near snapping-it's just old and getting brittle. Problem is, because of how it is rigged in the car, it costs more in labor than the actual part. And since we don't truly need the brake (though it is nicer to park on hills and not rest on the tranny with one) we'll just wait until after we pay off some debt when my daycare opens.

fuzzykitten99 said:
a while back we had it looked at while it was getting an oil change and coolant flush (as long as the hood was up) and they said it should be replaced. The mechanic at the shop we take it to even showed us that it is near snapping-it's just old and getting brittle. Problem is, because of how it is rigged in the car, it costs more in labor than the actual part. And since we don't truly need the brake (though it is nicer to park on hills and not rest on the tranny with one) we'll just wait until after we pay off some debt when my daycare opens.
With Rear Disc Brakes

1. Lubricate parking brake cables at equalizer and underbody rub points. Check all cables for freedom of operation.
2. Fully release parking brake and raise vehicle.
3. Hold cable stud from turning and tighten equalizer nut until cable slack is removed and levers are against stops on caliper housing. If levers are off stops, loosen cable until levers return to stop.
4. Operate parking brake several times to check adjustment. When properly adjusted, the parking brake pedal should move 5¼" to 6¾" on all except Seville and Eldorado or 4" to 5½" on Eldorado and Seville.

With Rear Drum Brakes

1. With service brakes properly adjusted, lubricate parking brake linkage at equalizer and cable stud with heat-resistant lubricant, and check for free movement of cables.
2. Depress parking brake pedal about 1½" from full released position.
3. Raise rear wheels off floor.
4. Hold brake cable and stud from turning and tighten equalizer nut until a slight drag is felt on either wheel (going forward). After each turn of equalizer nut, check to see if either wheel begins to drag.
5. Release parking brake. No brake drag should be felt at either rear wheel. Operate several times to check adjustment. When properly adjusted, the parking brake pedal should move 5¼" to 6¾".

Nienna said:

Have you checked the switch for loose connections?

I finally got around to adding brake fluid this morning, and the brake light disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions, guys! :)

I finally got around to adding brake fluid this morning, and the brake light disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions, guys! :)

Hey! I thought the hubby was gonna take care of that. :eek2:

If it comes back on again in the next few weeks, post.. How long has it been since the current brakes were installed?

Forum List

Back