Elton John would "ban" organized religion

So is the good---It is done by people practicing thier religious beliefs. Many dislike it becuase they are unaware of all that it does. Critics focus on the bad and true believers would never gloat about what they have given.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dilloduck again."

Very well said.

Personally, I think alot of people use their disdain for "organized religion" to justify not searching for the truth of God. They just throw up their hands declare them all wrong, then they dont have to study at all.

BS. Semantics. How many gay priests are there (other than those in the closet)...

There is a difference between "banning gays" and not considering homosexuality a sin. The representive of a Church should not be a poster boy for blatant disregard of God's laws.

The ones "in the closet" are in the closet. When you figure out how to predetermine someone's thoughts, let me know. We can make some money.

Ah yes, another shining example of tolerance and freedom.

Los Angeles (E! Online) -
Forget dissing Madonna and the media. Elton John is now turning his enmity on organized religion.

In an interview with The Observer's special gay edition of Music Monthly Magazine that hit UK newsstands on Saturday, the Rocket Man sounded off on a variety of hot-button topics, ranging from British Prime Minister Tony Blair's views on the Iraq War to gay rights.

But John reserved his most critical comments for organized religion, which he said should be outlawed for fomenting discrimination against gays.

"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people," the 59-year-old "Sad Songs" singer told the newspaper. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays. But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion."

John continued: "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

Full story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20061113/en_celeb_eo/957bef13-2b09-47bb-8a57-f214feb12232

what about disorganized religion....they should be ok? no?

So is the good---It is done by people practicing thier religious beliefs. Many dislike it becuase they are unaware of all that it does. Critics focus on the bad and true believers would never gloat about what they have given.
I'm aware, dillo. However, I'm pointing out, for the sake of the argument, that all evil perpetrated is by people.

I'm aware, dillo. However, I'm pointing out, for the sake of the argument, that all evil perpetrated is by people.
Just imagine how those particular individuals would behave if they did not have their religion telling them to love their neighbor. You should be thankful for their organized religion.

So calling homosexuality a sin is the same as banning gays, huh? Then explain to me how the church considers theft and murder a sin, yet pours millions every year into ministering to prison inmates. Lieing is a sin, yet the church embraces many politicians and lawyers. If you think the church is going to throw homosexuals out on their butts, then you have either been to the wrong churches or you have made your conclusion with no evidence.

Just imagine how those particular individuals would behave if they did not have their religion telling them to love their neighbor. You should be thankful for their organized religion.
I'm aware of that and that is why, as I have said before, I wouldn't ban organized religion if I had the ability to do so.

There is a difference between "banning gays" and not considering homosexuality a sin. The representive of a Church should not be a poster boy for blatant disregard of God's laws.

The ones "in the closet" are in the closet. When you figure out how to predetermine someone's thoughts, let me know. We can make some money.

So there are gay priests and vicars etc....ok...Your last sentence is jumping to one mother of a conclusion. Yet all the homophobes on these boards believe that homos can change their behaviour...as you say wehn you figure out how to predetemine someone's thoughts, let me know...

So there are gay priests and vicars etc....ok...Your last sentence is jumping to one mother of a conclusion. Yet all the homophobes on these boards believe that homos can change their behaviour...as you say wehn you figure out how to predetemine someone's thoughts, let me know...

To deny that human nature can and does change is to deny the Atonement of Christ.

We refuse to do that

Forum List

Back