Elsa, Nietzsche and Superman

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Parents worn down by their daughters’ incessant singing of “Let it go, let it go” from the Disney movie Frozen might be even more upset if they actually paid attention to lyrics from the song:

No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free
Let it go, let it go

The message for little girls seems to echo the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, whose works included Beyond Good and Evil. The German philosopher argued that the creative powers of the individual should not be stifled by social, cultural, and moral boundaries.

Admittedly, the theme of the movie seems to be that love can fix anything but the actual lyrics sung by Elsa promote the empowering amorality advocated by Nietzsche, who many say inspired the Nazis.

Nietzsche’s concept of an “overman” or “superman” who transcends “herd” morality influenced comic book artists Joe Schuster and Jerry Siegel, who created a Superman who embodied a rejection of Neitzschean values. Their Superman maintained an ice Fortress of Solitude. In Frozen, Elsa, frightened by her superpower to freeze things, flees to the wilderness, where she builds herself an ice palace.

Elsa’s proclamation of “no right, no wrong” and her ice castle may be instances of synchronicity with Nietzsche and Superman, but they may also have been deliberate references inserted by the film creators.

Parents worn down by their daughters’ incessant singing of “Let it go, let it go” from the Disney movie Frozen might be even more upset if they actually paid attention to lyrics from the song:

I’m free
Let it go, let it go

The message for little girls seems to echo the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, whose works included Beyond Good and Evil. The German philosopher argued that the creative powers of the individual should not be stifled by social, cultural, and moral boundaries.

Admittedly, the theme of the movie seems to be that love can fix anything but the actual lyrics sung by Elsa promote the empowering amorality advocated by Nietzsche, who many say inspired the Nazis.

Nietzsche’s concept of an “overman” or “superman” who transcends “herd” morality influenced comic book artists Joe Schuster and Jerry Siegel, who created a Superman who embodied a rejection of Neitzschean values. Their Superman maintained an ice Fortress of Solitude. In Frozen, Elsa, frightened by her superpower to freeze things, flees to the wilderness, where she builds herself an ice palace.

Elsa’s proclamation of “no right, no wrong” and her ice castle may be instances of synchronicity with Nietzsche and Superman, but they may also have been deliberate references inserted by the film creators.
I can see your point, but in the end morality and virtue always win out.

So the argument can be made that morality and virtue should not be used to stifle society but in the final analysis morality and virtue will always win out because they are successful behaviors which naturally lead to success.

So while someone may believe their narrative proves otherwise, their behaviors tell the true story of their belief.

I didn't watch the movie, but I would like to know why the girl sang that son. Having that her song is what motivates the analysis in the topic.

I’m free
Let it go, let it go

It's without a doubt that some people "do better than others and stand out" at what they do, for better or worse (e.x. such as Newton and Einstein in the sciences).

But I'd honestly just call this common sense or folk wisdom, and wouldn't attribute it to Nietzsche or his odd and wordy philosophy, I'm sure the notion of some people just caring more than others and wanting to do more, while others selfishly and lazily content themselves with less is just human nature.

Much as in a way, society depends on it, yet the selfish and amoral prefer to just take it for granted (the average person likely doesn't care nearly about donating their life to a cause and altruistically taking risks such as social or intellectual ones as someone like Newton or Einstein did for the greater good or benefit of humanity and themselves as a whole, and prefers just to be selfishly and willfully ignorant and immoral at the expense of better others.

Much as if, in the human body, the body or its systems didn't acknowledge the natural hierarchy, such as the superiority of the brain over the other organs, or the individual autonomy of each organ and its unique functions, and started to attack itself, this would be diseased, degenerate, and non-functional. perhaps akin to cancerous cells rebelling against the rest of the body, and the better members thereof in the process.

Last edited:
Newton was a huge tall guy with strong big hands. At every meeting with other scientists, he used to present his ideas, and at the time of asking if the rest was in agreement, he used to show his big fist in case someone opposes himself to his arguments. Actually, he used more than once his fists in order to convince others about his theories.

In the case of Einstein, this dude was retarded by birth and Eddington was the one who really caused the whole change of science into a world of fantasy when he committed fraud to validate Relativity.

I have no idea why the OP says they did something for the good or benefit of humanity. Were they philanthropists or they provided social laws looking for better justice or equality?

Errors are found in the theories of Newton while Relativity is nothing but a fantasy. I think that the OP should have better opted for choosing better examples for morality. While Newton was a bully, on the other hand Einstein used to hit hard her sister head when a child and as a married man was also an abuser.

On the other hand, the "Superman" character in the original magazine publications, was to fight criminals, stop a train ready to derail and... and pick up a little cat from the top branches of a tree and give it to the owner: a crying little girl. It was a "cute" Superman.

Progress has been reached thanks to hard working people and criminals. Morality has been always exploited in accord of the current mentality of the masses. It was OK killing another person in a duel, but stealing a horse was sentenced with capital punishment.

Honor was not only recognized but enforced.

I remember when I was a child, and at the beach women used to change their swimming clothes for regular ones. Sometimes the wind pushed their clothes while they were changing behind the rocks, and they came out running trying to catch them.

In those times, when men saw the half naked or full naked woman in that kind of trouble, immediately all of them, including children, used to turn the faces to the other side. Respect was very important.

Today, if such happens to a woman, people will use the cellphones to make a video, and even to publish it on the media.

Our species is degenerating not only biologically but also in their moral and principles.

There is no way to stop this falling, and the bigger reason is because moral degeneration is simply "contagious", and societies can't find the vaccine.

Using force to get one's way is immoral, regardless of the excuse used to justify it.

I've not seen the movie referenced and most likely won't see it or hear the song, but, I can understand the concern since sponges for brains soak up everything and they don't have the reasoning power to draw a conclusion and once ingrained it requires conscious effort to not succumb to the message received, especially when confirmed by actions observed time after time after time- it's called subliminal messaging and has been used in advertising for decades.

As for condemning a man for looking at a naked or half naked woman, that's just ludicrous. Curiosity is not a bad thing. The "bad thing" is pretending to know the motive and making unfounded accusations.

Honor is determined by the actor, but judged by peers. Peers don't have the moral authority to judge another based on his perceptions.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you- that requires practice and Individual effort- showing respect which achieves self respect- begets begets. They are self perpetuating.
IF taught that early in life it will carry into adulthood-

There is no vaccine, there is no instant gratification. Anything/everything worth having requires effort. Effort takes time and involves the Individual's desire to achieve. A horse can be led to water but he can't be made to drink- he will when he decides he is thirsty.

I’m free
Let it go, let it go

Adolf Hitler idolized Nietzsche.

Forum List

Back