Elk Stew

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I had frozen elk from 09...decided to make a stew...

Flour & brown elk steaks in oil
Add potatoes, carrots, frozen corn, onion.
1 package of onion soup mix
Water to cover
Bay leaf
Cover with lid.

Put in 350 oven for an hour, reduce heat to 325.

Cook for 2 more hours.

• Banned
I have a friend who sets up a big elk camp every hunting season; he has doe and bull tags for the two seasons, and he gets tags for himself and his mom and various relatives, and he always gets his animal.

But at home there's only him and his elderly mother and they just can't eat all that meat. He gets elk, he gets his bucks, they raise a few steers each year; when they have to clear out the freezer, he shows up at my house with a big cooler full of meat. He also brings me salmon and steelhead; but I"m not fond of steelhead, and I'm leery of home-frozen salmon; it's often mushy and revolting. I've told him to not bring the fish but he has a boat and does a lot of fishing, so he always throws it in there, too.

yea not many have the flash freezers it takes to do fish....i normally get venison that way....all my hunter friends have too much...

• Banned
I only had bear once..it was really good, it tasted like good pork or beef roast. I'm sure that's not the norm, but the woman who shot it said she shot it in a berry patch, so it had been eating berries for who knows how long.

I wouldn't want bear that had been eating fish or carrion, that's for sure. Or garbage. Blech.

Forum List

Back