Elizabeth Warren: "I am not wealthy"

“I realize there are some wealthy individuals – I’m not one of them, but some wealthy individuals who have a lot of stock portfolios"

:eusa_eh:

"I'm not one of them" is an interjection to her main point, which is "There are some wealthy individuals who have a lot of stock portfolios". Her statement is equivalent to "I realize there are some wealthy individuals who have a lot of stock portfolios. I'm not one of them." The "one" which she accurately says she is not is a wealthy individual who has a lot of stock portfolios, not a general wealthy individual. I don't see a grammatical reason to interpret her statement differently. Further, it would make no sense for her to do so-- she is surely well aware that she has publicly disclosed her wealth.

frankly I think the sentence was very poorly constructed, its almost gibberish, the first portion makes complete sense, the back end? *shrugs* if she left out the BUT, maybe I could see it that way.

I give politicians a lot of credit for backtracking midstream when they realize thy have said something they probably should not have said.

whats a 'general wealthy' individual?

Last edited:
Isn't this fun, LadyLiberal?

Some of them are aware and lying. Others are just unaware.

It's alright. I enjoy parsing grammar quite a bit more than most, but it's not clear how I can make the point any more clearly than you already have.

that becasue he didn't make it clear, he spoke more along the lines of mitigating her statement by offering his own structure. Theres several different ways she could have said what it appears you and lone laugher says she meant......with her background it makes it hard to believe she cannot make the point she wanted to make without hacking it up, unless, she misspoke, badly.

Last edited:
This would be the first time I've seen ladyliberal be close to disingenuous so I'll give her credit for sincerity in her parsing of the situation.

I disagree with her however.

Warren was dishonest. Excusing Warren on a technicality comes across as further dishonesty.

Warren is wealthy with millions in stock and she just put herself up on the "pretend I'm one of you" shelf where Michael Moore put himself when he claimed not to be part of the 1%.

“I realize there are some wealthy individuals – I’m not one of them, but some wealthy individuals who have a lot of stock portfolios"

"I'm not one of them" is an interjection to her main point, which is "There are some wealthy individuals who have a lot of stock portfolios". Her statement is equivalent to "I realize there are some wealthy individuals who have a lot of stock portfolios. I'm not one of them." The "one" which she accurately says she is not is a wealthy individual who has a lot of stock portfolios, not a general wealthy individual. I don't see a grammatical reason to interpret her statement differently. Further, it would make no sense for her to do so-- she is surely well aware that she has publicly disclosed her wealth.

In what possible way is Warren "not" one of them? She is both wealthy and she owns a sizable stock portfolio. That's beyond question. So why does she feel the need to try and pass herself off as someone who isn't wealthy or an owner of 8 million dollars worth of stock? It's quite obvious that Warren is reluctant to admit what she is because it will offend the delicate sensibilities of the OWS crowd that thinks anyone who can balance a checkbook is a corporate stooge.

In what possible way is Warren "not" one of them? She is both wealthy and she owns a sizable stock portfolio. That's beyond question. So why does she feel the need to try and pass herself off as someone who isn't wealthy or an owner of 8 million dollars worth of stock? It's quite obvious that Warren is reluctant to admit what she is because it will offend the delicate sensibilities of the OWS crowd that thinks anyone who can balance a checkbook is a corporate stooge.

Democrats are the Party of the Big Lie. They pretend to be for Civil Rights and they have LBJ and Bobby KKK Byrd as their Party leaders. Liz Warren can say whatever she wants and the Dems will believe her

LoneLaugher, lame.

Warren, like Moore, is so uncomfortable with people thinking about her wealth that her first instinct was an unforced lie about it.

LoneLaugher, lame.

Warren, like Moore, is so uncomfortable with people thinking about her wealth that her first instinct was an unforced lie about it.

Amelia, please stay strong.

Warren needs to lie so she'll fit in with her Brother and Sister Democrats

I played golf one day with two well to do Brazilians, one of which referred to the other as a "farmer" several times...something that obviously irritated the so called farmer. When I asked the man why he was annoyed by being called a farmer he told me that in Brazil if you own a piece of property larger than 100,000 acres you were considered a "rancher" and less than a 100,000 acres you were considered a "farmer". His friend had a ranch of about 110,000 acres but he ONLY had about 85,000 acres and so his buddy loved to rub it in by calling him a farmer.

I see Elizabeth Warren thinking that she's not wealthy with her stock portfolio like someone thinking the guy with 85,000 acres was only a "farmer". You have to be running with a high falutin' crowd to think you're not loaded when you've got that kind of money stashed.

Some stock portfolios are more stocky than others

:lol:good point. when one refers to a stock portfolio, I don't think it can be taken any other way, at least not in my experience, a stock portfolio is more than one stock, saying " I own stock" also infers heavily more than one, if one owns one stock, they say 'I own stock in such and such' or 'I own stock in a Co.'

If you own several 'portfolios' one would say that straight out as well, but I am not sure one ever needs to, a portfolio is a general descriptor for a wide range of financial's....*shrugs*.

I see Elizabeth Warren thinking that she's not wealthy with her stock portfolio like someone thinking the guy with 85,000 acres was only a "farmer".

Except, no where in the video did Warren suggest she was not wealthy nor have a large stock portfolio. She clearly said she was not one of those wealthy people who had many portfolios.

Why are you people choosing to ignore plain English?

I see Elizabeth Warren thinking that she's not wealthy with her stock portfolio like someone thinking the guy with 85,000 acres was only a "farmer".

Except, no where in the video did Warren suggest she was not wealthy nor have a large stock portfolio. She clearly said she was not one of those wealthy people who had many portfolios.

You mean like how the left ignores what was said and claims a certain Republican told all Liberals to leave the US? Like that?

clearly? :lol:don't be...well, you know.

In order to go there you have to have NO COMPREHENSION of the word 'portfolio'.

Portfolio (finance), a collection of investments held by an institution or a private individual

In this usage it cannot be pluralized, the contents of the portfolio can (stocks and bonds) but the portfolio is singular only.

It is clear, she did not say she was not wealthy. She said she is not one of those wealthy people with lots of portfolios.

In order to go there you have to have NO COMPREHENSION of the word 'portfolio'.

Portfolio (finance), a collection of investments held by an institution or a private individual

In this usage it cannot be pluralized, the contents of the portfolio can (stocks and bonds) but the portfolio is singular only.

Sorry it is clear to me, a die hard Republican Conservative she did not say she is not wealthy.

It is clear, she did not say she was not wealthy. She said she is not one of those wealthy people with lots of portfolios.

Then she's an IDIOT, no one has portfolios, a single portfolio contains ALL investments.

Forum List

Back