"Elites" - Who Are They and Why Are They to be Despised?

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
I gather I am not supposed to like the "elites." OK - I'm on board for that. "Elites" doesn't sound good going in. Damn "elites" - who needs 'em anyway, with their superior airs and their . . . well, God knows what else they have or do.

But I'm wondering - just who ARE these "elites" everyone seem so bent on vilifying? And exactly what is it about them that MAKES them "elites"? Would anyone care to define them for me?

Give me some examples of people you feel are objectionable "elites." And then, more importantly, let's discuss WHY you feel they fit the description. What is it about the people you might nominate as "elites" (or about all "elites" in general, for that matter), that makes them so despicable?

Last edited:
I gather I am not supposed to like the "elites." OK - I'm on board for that. "Elites" doesn't sound good going in. Damn "elites" - who needs 'em anyway, with their superior airs and their . . . well, God knows what else they have or do.

But I'm wondering - just who ARE these "elites" everyone seem so bent on vilifying? And exactly what is it about them that MAKES them "elites"? Would anyone care to define them for me?

Give me some examples of people you feel are objectionable "elites." And then, more importantly, let's discuss WHY you feel they fit the description. What is it about the people you might nominate as "elites" (or about all "elites" in general, for that matter), that makes them so despicable?

Oh c'mon, George! They are ALL despicable. And they are despicable because we aren't them! :lol::lol:

Wait! Did I become an elite when I went to Vanderbilt?

Was Steve Jobs an "Elite"?

Good point. I'm still trying to work out how Apple is not an evil corporation. It's built its factory in China, broke child labor laws (but of course that's ok in China) and breached safety standards (but that's ok in China too) and yet... we have no problem with Apple. Why is that?

People who take the names of movie characters.

Who is an elite? Depends on what we are talking about. Are you asking for social elites, financial elites, the elitist brains or what. Maybe your talking about sports elitists.

Was Steve Jobs an "Elite"?

Good point. I'm still trying to work out how Apple is not an evil corporation. It's built its factory in China, broke child labor laws (but of course that's ok in China) and breached safety standards (but that's ok in China too) and yet... we have no problem with Apple. Why is that?

Maybe for the same reason I have no problem with my Toyota, purchased in 2007. Knocking on my mahogany desk!~ I have not had to have a single problem/ repair oriented service call on it since I bought it new. Not one.

Here's one for starters. (Jesus, you are dumber then Kramer!!!).

White House calls AIG spa trip

Come on, guys - this is meant to be a serious thread with some serious discussion. There is a point to it that I will be making after we get a few serious posts. So come on - name a few people you would classify as elites and tell me why you think they are elites.

And also, what make up an "elite" as far as you are concerned?

Come on, guys - this is meant to be a serious thread with some serious discussion. There is a point to it that I will be making after we get a few serious posts. So come on - name a few people you would classify as elites and tell me why you think they are elites.

I can't think of a good answer to that question. I suppose it all depends on where you are on the food chain.

Sorry I don't do class envy. I have problems with Liberals not the rich and powerful ( well unless they violate the laws0.

Here's one for starters. (Jesus, you are dumber then Kramer!!!).

White House calls AIG spa trip

OK - good for starters. People who squander government money for personal gain at lavish vacation resorts are elitists as far as you are concerned. Thank you.

Sorry I don't do class envy. I have problems with Liberals not the rich and powerful ( well unless they violate the laws0.

So you think the rich and powerful are elitists?

No I think you might be trying to get others to say that though. There is no such thing as Elitists as far as I am concerned. By the way? All political parties have supposed "elitists", the rich and the powerful. I don't care. I only care that Liberals and anarchists ( not the same and I am not claiming they are) have ignorant ideas on how this Country should be run.

Who would you classify as elitists?

College and university professors?
CEO's of huge corporations?
Artists?
Scientists?
High ranking military people?
Hermits who live in caves?
Justices of the Supreme Court?
Famous athletes?
Movie stars?
High ranking government officials?

Others?

What would you say are the CHARACTERISTICS of an elitist?

Arrogance?
Humility?
Anger?
Stand offishness?
Snobbery?
Extreme wealth?
Extreme intellectual ability?

Others?

Come on, guys - this is meant to be a serious thread with some serious discussion.

In that case you need to at least use the correct label. It’s ‘liberal elite,’ or ‘leftist elite.’

That’s just it: the ‘elite’ is made up, a political contrivance – there is no such thing.

No I think you might be trying to get others to say that though. There is no such thing as Elitists as far as I am concerned. By the way? All political parties have supposed "elitists", the rich and the powerful. I don't care. I only care that Liberals and anarchists ( not the same and I am not claiming they are) have ignorant ideas on how this Country should be run.

I didn't say it, Gunny - you did: "Sorry I don't do class envy. I have problems with Liberals not the rich and powerful ( well unless they violate the laws)"

Don't deflect. If you don't want to discuss this, then bug off. If you do, then do it. You never called a Demorcratic office holder or candidate an "elite"? If not, good for you. But I can guarantee you, there are a lot of Republicans who did, and still do.

I'm not trying to get anyone to say anything here. I am honestly looking for some definitions of elitism. After I get them, I intend to make a commnet that might surprise you.

Who would you classify as elitists?

College and university professors?
CEO's of huge corporations?
Artists?
Scientists?
High ranking military people?
Hermits who live in caves?
Justices of the Supreme Court?
Famous athletes?
Movie stars?
High ranking government officials?

Others?

What would you say are the CHARACTERISTICS of an elitist?

Arrogance?
Humility?
Anger?
Stand offishness?
Snobbery?
Extreme wealth?
Extreme intellectual ability?

Others?

A major characteristic: BOUGHT ACCESS (private wealth without political access is almost like poverty).
Afterall, we are living in a Plutocracy.

Forum List

Back