Elisha and the Bears- God's Justice

[

I guess I would ask, why wouldn't He?

Well, if it was ME writing a book I intended to be a moral guide for humanity, I'd make it very clear.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time telling people they couldn't eat shellfish, but I'd make damned sure they knew one human being owning another was wrong.

This is a low standard "Yahweh", for all his omnipotence, couldn't nit.

If it was you writing anything everyone one the planet would laugh.

Naw, I couldn't match your creativity with grammar!

2 Kings 2:23 "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

Now consider this. God's prophet is mocked by children for his bald head, and the Prophet curses them. God sends two bears out, and 42 kids are mauled....

elisha+bears+The_Children_of_Bethel_Mourned_by_their_Mothers.jpg

Can any believers explain this to me and still maintain that God is a worthy being to worship?

And? You're point?

Did you get the point of the story or is this just another I hate god b/c he's a big meanie thread?

ya think it's a true story or do you think it's a story used to teach?

Think about how damn fast those bears would have to be to get 42 kids.

42 kids running a screaming for their lives in all directions.

course they could have been angle bears, that would splain everythang

[

God needs not explain Himself to you or to anyone else, and He's worthy of worship because He's the Creator.

Isn't that like an abusive father who beats his children saying it's okay to beat them for nothing because he's their father?

No, not all people are God's children.

Okay,couple of problems with this.

First, most religious thought is that all people ARE the Sky Pixie's children.

Second, in the case we are discussing, God murdered the children of his "CHOSEN" people.

(This would be the same chosen people who've endured 2000 years of holocausts, genocide and pograms...for those keeping score.)

Fact is, your religion is a kind of Stockholm Syndrome. If you are being abused by God, it's because you deserve it, somehow.

And being afraid of an imaginary abuser is just sort of... tragic.

2 Kings 2:23 "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them."

Now consider this. God's prophet is mocked by children for his bald head, and the Prophet curses them. God sends two bears out, and 42 kids are mauled....

elisha+bears+The_Children_of_Bethel_Mourned_by_their_Mothers.jpg

Can any believers explain this to me and still maintain that God is a worthy being to worship?

And? You're point?

Did you get the point of the story or is this just another I hate god b/c he's a big meanie thread?

First, learn the difference between "you're" and "your".

Second, is there a point to this story, other than showing that the Sky Pixie is a random, evil prick.

Third, the point to this thread is that you guys cite the bible as an excuse for all sorts of stupidity, from homophobia to being anti-choice to rationalizing plutocracy, so I guess I have to ask the question about the characters in it and their morality before basing my own on it.

See, here's the gag. I never heard this story in TWELVE years of Catholic education. Never heard of Jephthah butchering his own daughters. Never heard of Lot having wild incest with his daughters. We get a Bowlderized version of what is in the bible from the Clergy to not offend modern sensibilities.

ya think it's a true story or do you think it's a story used to teach?

Think about how damn fast those bears would have to be to get 42 kids.

42 kids running a screaming for their lives in all directions.

course they could have been angle bears, that would splain everythang

Or that this was a story that became exagerated over time.

There's really nothing saying in the story that the bears showed up and killed all 42 kids in one sitting. The bears might have been like a Jason Vorhees kind of thing, picking them off over a period of time, in kind of a "I know what you did last summer" kind of thing.

It might even describe a real event, where bears decided that small humans were an easy food source. We need to understand. Maybe they made fun of a prophet!

Forum List

Back