eliminate minimum wage and MAYBE 3 million immediately employed!

"eliminate minimum wage and MAYBE 3 million immediately employed!"

Then again, maybe not. ;)

When was the last time you saw a movie usher? They dont exist because the min wage made them too costly.

I saw one this past weekend, actually. :cuckoo:

Most theatres are struggling to stay in business.
But if the minimum wage was dropped people would quit Netflix and cable/satellite and DVD's and go back to the movies?

Some are, some aren't. Otherwise all movie theaters would be closed by now. Some theaters would want to distinguish themselves by having ushers. For the right price it might draw more patrons. But price it too high and no one can afford to hire one.

This is so funny!!!!
How many teenagers living at home without a job would like a job?
How many teenage parents would LOVE to have their kids have a job?

The whole point of minimum wage was another example of continual dependency on the government. And where has that got us all?
We have free cell phones for poor people.
Free rent (Section 8)
Free food (stamps)
Free health care (medicaid).

So where would a person working at no minimum wage have to buy a cell phone, get food, pay rent living at home remember, probably have health care!

But this thread just shows how totally dependent MOST of you EVEN conservatives have grown on the FEDERAL TEAT!

There truly is NO hope.
I'm almost 70 years old. HAVE worked all my life.
SAD.. but unlike me I LEARNED at age 10 what it was to peddle newspapers, get paid $1 to shovel a walk, $3 to mow a lawn...
NONE of those experiences EVER paid my rent/food/etc. BUT it helped my parents raise 4 kids and the best thing..
1) I learned responsibilities (none of you ever got up at 3 AM sundays delivery papers!)
2) Learned business practices... (can't let uncollections go for long)
3) All of these very fundamentals lessons NOT available any more
SAD

You are almost 70??!! What the fuck!

I guess it needs to be said once again.

Businesses PAY (to workers, suppliers, etc.) as much as they HAVE TO.

Businesses CHARGE their customers as much as they CAN.

Businesses HIRE PEOPLE when they HAVE TO.

Businesses do not hire people when they CAN.

This is so funny!!!!
How many teenagers living at home without a job would like a job?
How many teenage parents would LOVE to have their kids have a job?

The whole point of minimum wage was another example of continual dependency on the government. And where has that got us all?
Free rent (Section 8)
Free food (stamps)

So where would a person working at no minimum wage have to buy a cell phone, get food, pay rent living at home remember, probably have health care!

But this thread just shows how totally dependent MOST of you EVEN conservatives have grown on the FEDERAL TEAT!

There truly is NO hope.
I'm almost 70 years old. HAVE worked all my life.
SAD.. but unlike me I LEARNED at age 10 what it was to peddle newspapers, get paid $1 to shovel a walk, $3 to mow a lawn...
NONE of those experiences EVER paid my rent/food/etc. BUT it helped my parents raise 4 kids and the best thing..
1) I learned responsibilities (none of you ever got up at 3 AM sundays delivery papers!)
2) Learned business practices... (can't let uncollections go for long)
3) All of these very fundamentals lessons NOT available any more
SAD

You are almost 70??!! What the fuck!

the right wingers here love him.

Who's going to get paid less, genius?
We have a black teenage unemployment rate of 20%. What are they getting paid now?

Because it will only be applied to black unemployed teenagers.

Right?

That would be a start, of course.
No, genius. It would be applied to employers, who would create jobs because it wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg to find out if their new worker was decent or worthless.

Interesting, you think that just because labor is cheap, they will hire more people than they need?

Do you even know what Supply and Demand is?

Because it will only be applied to black unemployed teenagers.

Right?

No, genius. It would be applied to employers, who would create jobs because it wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg to find out if their new worker was decent or worthless.

Interesting, you think that just because labor is cheap, they will hire more people than they need?

Hmm, let's see. If you lower the price of something, do you sell more or less of it?

Definition of STUPID
1a : slow of mind : obtuse b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>
3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>
4: lacking interest or point <a stupid event>
5: A poster known as The Rabbi.

Hmm, let's see. If you lower the price of something, do you sell more or less of it?

That depends on whether the good or service is needed or not.

Rocks and dirt are free but you don't see us running around gathering up them just because they are.

Definition of STUPID
1a : slow of mind : obtuse b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>
3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>
4: lacking interest or point <a stupid event>
5: A poster known as The Rabbi.

Definition of lost argument: The post above.

That depends on whether the good or service is needed or not.

Rocks and dirt are free but you don't see us running around gathering up them just because they are.

If you think dirt is free then you haven't done much landscaping.

If you lower your price of production you continue to sell it for the as much as you can based on consumer demand, and pocket the savings.

So which is better..
Having maybe 3 million or more employed people paying Medicare/SS or
3 million people receiving $250/week in unemployment benefits?

By eliminating minimum wage
In 2010 Among those paid by the hour, 1.8 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.5 million had wages below the minimum.2 Together, these 4.4 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 6.0 percent of all hourly-paid workers.

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly-paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 25 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 4 percent of workers age 25 and over. (See table 1 and table 7.)

Now there are 27.1 million teenagers from 15 to 19 that are unemployed!

Easily 3 million or more jobs would be open if the minimum wage was competitively based.. i.e would you work for $1/hour.. $3/hour???
Let the market set the wages...

All of a sudden businesses especially minimum wages could lower THEIR prices and economy begins to grow and those out of work.. paying in!

Which is better then paying OUT or 3 million more paying in???
That's the dream of Corporate America. Lowest wages possible and plenty of cheap labor.

If you lower your price of production you continue to sell it for the as much as you can based on consumer demand, and pocket the savings.

So you think companies just take the extra money and, what? Throw it in the president's office? Bury it in the backyard?
Or invest in more production. Or lower prices to gain market share. Or return the money to shareholders.
But that is a dodge.
If you lower the price of something, you sell more of it. Lower the price of labor and you will sell more of it, i.e. more employment. This is Econ 101, which many of you obviously failed.

Companies aren't hiring because the cost to do so is high and there is tremendous uncertainty associated with those costs. Lowering the min wage will make some jobs profitable to employers that previously were not.
Nonsense.

Businesses aren’t hiring because they’re concerned about adversely effecting profits. Employers will start hiring only when demand exceeds production and profits are jeopardized.

Otherwise lowering the minimum wage will only lower the income of those already working.
Free rent (Section 8)
Free food (stamps)

You and other rightists merely exhibit your collective ignorance when you do this.

So you think companies just take the extra money and, what? Throw it in the president's office? Bury it in the backyard?
Or invest in more production. Or lower prices to gain market share. Or return the money to shareholders.
But that is a dodge.
If you lower the price of something, you sell more of it. Lower the price of labor and you will sell more of it, i.e. more employment. This is Econ 101, which many of you obviously failed.

Okay, corporations should sell all their goods for 1c. Just imagine how much they'll sell! :cuckoo:

Corporations sell their products at the price that they feel balances consumer demand with maximum profits. They don't set their prices based on how much production costs. They set their prices based on how much they can charge without such reduction in demand offsetting the higher per item profit margin. If you don't understand that then obviously, you failed Econ 102.

Companies aren't hiring because the cost to do so is high and there is tremendous uncertainty associated with those costs. Lowering the min wage will make some jobs profitable to employers that previously were not.
Nonsense.

Businesses aren’t hiring because they’re concerned about adversely effecting profits. Employers will start hiring only when demand exceeds production and profits are jeopardized.

Otherwise lowering the minimum wage will only lower the income of those already working.

If businesses had no employees they would have no profits either. So your point is simply wrong. Wrong logically and wrong factually, as many business owners/managers have specifically pointed to uncertainty as the main cause of not hiring.
How will lowering the min wagee lower the income of those working? DO you think people will flock to lower paying jobs from higher paying ones?

So which is better..
Having maybe 3 million or more employed people paying Medicare/SS or
3 million people receiving $250/week in unemployment benefits?

By eliminating minimum wage
In 2010 Among those paid by the hour, 1.8 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.5 million had wages below the minimum.2 Together, these 4.4 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 6.0 percent of all hourly-paid workers.

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly-paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 25 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 4 percent of workers age 25 and over. (See table 1 and table 7.)

Now there are 27.1 million teenagers from 15 to 19 that are unemployed!

Easily 3 million or more jobs would be open if the minimum wage was competitively based.. i.e would you work for $1/hour.. $3/hour???
Let the market set the wages...

All of a sudden businesses especially minimum wages could lower THEIR prices and economy begins to grow and those out of work.. paying in!

Which is better then paying OUT or 3 million more paying in???
That's the dream of Corporate America. Lowest wages possible and plenty of cheap labor.[/QUOTE]

Which is why we'll never see any kind of meaningful jobs legislation come out of DC.

Forum List

Back