Eli vs Peyton

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
In comparing the two brothers, there is no way statistically that Eli is in his brothers league. When you look at yardage thrown, TDs to Ints, QB ratings and four league MVPs, Peyton is a top 5 QB of all time.

But Peyton has always had teams he could not beat. In College, he could not beat Florida. Spurrier got in his head. In the pros, he could not beat New England. Bill B had his number.

For a dozen years, Indianapolis was a favored team to win at the start of the season. Once the playoffs started, the Colts were almost always a top seed and favored to win. Peyton never seemed to come up big.

Eli and the Giants were never favored to win anything. Eli came up big in big games and carried teams that were far from great to two championships. Where Peyton has been an underachiever with the teams he played for, Eli has been an overachiever

Eli also has something Peyton doesn't........Historic wins
Beating an 18-0 team with a last second game winning drive is perhaps the most historic win in all of football
Repeating it against the same team is also historic.

There is no single win in Peytons career where he had a monster drive in a huge game to win. No unbelievable play where he came up big in crunch time.

In the Manning gene pool, Peyton got most of the raw talent. Eli got most of the heart.

Don't get carried away. Eli is great, but payton maybe the best ever. The colts would have been contenders with Payton, without him they're the worst team in the NFL. It's really no contest.

It is a team game not an individual game. You could have superman out there as QB but if you do not have receivers who can catch the ball ...

If you do not have defense that can stop the other team you always be at the mercy of them.

If your punt returner drops a punt on the 10 yard line with 30 seconds to go and you lose the game does that make your QB a bum instead of great?

Marino never had a defense. Peyton, the only Championship he had, the defense stepped up. In last nights game if the Giants had scored with 2 minutes left would they still have won?

Last edited:
This might mean more coming from an impartial source.

i agree that there really is no comparison -- peyton is far better. he has always been the whole team. he even makes their defense -- which has never been any good ; they cant tackle or cover ever - look better. eli has the benefit of a much better team -- esp on D around him

and in the year they won the super bowl, he came up big against NE when they were down as i recall. didint he raly them from way back in that game?

so if the question is -- you are starting a team and you are picking your first player and you dont know who else will be on your team -- and your choice is paeyton or elo, who do you pick? i cant seriously beleive too many say eli.

i agree that there really is no comparison -- peyton is far better. he has always been the whole team. he even makes their defense -- which has never been any good ; they cant tackle or cover ever - look better. eli has the benefit of a much better team -- esp on D around him

and in the year they won the super bowl, he came up big against NE when they were down as i recall. didint he raly them from way back in that game?

so if the question is -- you are starting a team and you are picking your first player and you dont know who else will be on your team -- and your choice is paeyton or elo, who do you pick? i cant seriously beleive too many say eli.

Has Peyton ever won a playoff game against a team that was favored to beat him? Eli has done it seven times

If I wanted a QB to build my team around, I would take Peyton every time

If I wanted a QB with two minutes left in a big game.......I would want Eli

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of either of the Manning boys, but I can't disagree with rightwinger's analysis. Their daddy did one hell of a great job.

I'll take Eli any day of the year after this latest superbowl victory.Also Peyton is more like Dan Marino in the same way that like Marino,puts up impressive numbers but chokes in the big game.Sure Manning won the superbowl but then again look at who he was facing when he won that superbowl.The Chicago Bears with journeyman Rex Grossman at quarterback.:lol: It was the defense that got the Bears as fas as they did that year.They carried them there.Their defense and Hester their amazing special teams players got them that far that year.

Oh and you can forget it that Peyton had to play great against a really great defense to win that game because Grossman showed his TRUE colors in that game that he sucks as a quarterback being way off target on his throws in that game.The Bears because of Grossman, had the ball so very little that way too much pressure was put on the Bears defense to hold the colts offense that day .When your on the field all day long like the bears defense was that day,eventually your going to wear out and get tired and not be able to stop an offense after a while.I dont care how good a defense you are.you cant expect them to hold them off forever being on the field all day long like they were that day.so that wasnt really much of a test for Manning that day having to face a tired and deflated defense in the second half.

Once Peyton Manning had to face a REAL quarterback who was good in the superbowl in Drew Brees,he could not win.Eli on the other hand has faced a future hall of famer TWICE in the superbowl and has won both times.So I'll take Eli in a big game any day of the year over Peyton.

Last edited:

Has Peyton ever won a playoff game against a team that was favored to beat him? Eli has done it seven times

Peyton is always favored cause he appeared to be THAT good. Doesn't mean he should have been favored. People say Brady has done more with less than maybe anybody but in reality Peyton has.

That is why I would take Eli over Peyton as well.

Peyton is always favored cause he appeared to be THAT good. Doesn't mean he should have been favored. People say Brady has done more with less than maybe anybody but in reality Peyton has.

Did Brady ever have a running back the quality of Edgerin James? How about a receiver as good as Marvin Harrison?

Last edited:

Did Brady ever have a running back the quality of Edgerin James? How about a receiver as good as Marvin Harrison?

well he did have Corey Dillon at one time but that was very brief but you cant count out Grobnowski.that guy is a huge weapon for him.He is going to be a hall of famer.that guy just amazes me to watch.Him being hurt is what really hurt the patriots offense.If he was healthy, no way on earth does he not outleap that linebacker and make that play.

well he did have Corey Dillon at one time but that was very brief but you cant count out Grobnowski.that guy is a huge weapon for him.He is going to be a hall of famer.that guy just amazes me to watch.Him being hurt is what really hurt the patriots offense.If he was healthy, no way on earth does he not outleap that linebacker and make that play.

well in 2007 he had Randy Moss so yeah thats way better than Marvin Harrison... and what about defense? New England had waaaaaaaaaaay better defense then Indianapolis over the years they won even though it was defense that won Peyton his one super bowl ring.

Eli
Super-Bowl-Trophy-Size.jpg

Peyton

Enough said.

well in 2007 he had Randy Moss so yeah thats way better than Marvin Harrison... and what about defense? New England had waaaaaaaaaaay better defense then Indianapolis over the years they won even though it was defense that won Peyton his one super bowl ring.

Yeah but Brady unlike Manning has always been cool under pressure in the BIG games.Peyton has always stunk up the joint.This is also why Brady has always been better.

I'll take Eli any day of the year after this latest superbowl victory.Also Peyton is more like Dan Marino in the same way that like Marino,puts up impressive numbers but chokes in the big game.Sure Manning won the superbowl but then again look at who he was facing when he won that superbowl.The Chicago Bears with journeyman Rex Grossman at quarterback. It was the defense that got the Bears as fas as they did that year.They carried them there.Their defense and Hester their amazing special teams players got them that far that year.

Oh and you can forget it that Peyton had to play great against a really great defense to win that game because Grossman showed his TRUE colors in that game that he sucks as a quarterback being way off target on his throws in that game.The Bears because of Grossman, had the ball so very little that way too much pressure was put on the Bears defense to hold the colts offense that day .When your on the field all day long like the bears defense was that day,eventually your going to wear out and get tired and not be able to stop an offense after a while.I dont care how good a defense you are.you cant expect them to hold them off forever being on the field all day long like they were that day.so that wasnt really much of a test for Manning that day having to face a tired and deflated defense in the second half.

Once Peyton Manning had to face a REAL quarterback who was good in the superbowl in Drew Brees,he could not win.Eli on the other hand has faced a future hall of famer TWICE in the superbowl and has won both times.So I'll take Eli in a big game any day of the year over Peyton.

Manning is like Marino,puts up impressive numbers but in the BIG game against a GOOD quarterback,he cant win.When he faced a GOOD quarterback in the big game in Drew Brees,he failed to win.Where Brady beat Kurt Warner a future hall of famer and Donovan Mcnabb who at that time was making it the pro bowl year in and year out.

Last edited:

Yeah but Brady unlike Manning has always been cool under pressure in the BIG games.Peyton has always stunk up the joint.This is also why Brady has always been better.

Nobody ever accused Indianapolis of having a fearsome defense. But they did have a defense good enough to win 13 to 14 games a year.

Point is that Peyton Manning and his Colts for the most part, underachieved in the playoffs every year. They came in as favorites to win the SB, they tended to be favorites in every game......yet they only reached the SB twice in twelve years in spite of having great teams.

At some point, Peyton could have elevated his game, made the big play, made the winning drive. Eli has done it consistently with no where near the players that Peyton had. I mean David Tyree?

Nobody ever accused Indianapolis of having a fearsome defense. But they did have a defense good enough to win 13 to 14 games a year.

Point is that Peyton Manning and his Colts for the most part, underachieved in the playoffs every year. They came in as favorites to win the SB, they tended to be favorites in every game......yet they only reached the SB twice in twelve years in spite of having great teams.

At some point, Peyton could have elevated his game, made the big play, made the winning drive. Eli has done it consistently with no where near the players that Peyton had. I mean David Tyree?

Yeah but victor cruz, mario manningham, and Hakeem Nicks too. It's really not possible to compare individual accomplishments in team sports especially football. You have to factor in play calling, offensive line, run game, receiving corp, defense and competition and it's just not possible to do it accurately.

Last edited:
In comparing the two brothers, there is no way statistically that Eli is in his brothers league. When you look at yardage thrown, TDs to Ints, QB ratings and four league MVPs, Peyton is a top 5 QB of all time.

But Peyton has always had teams he could not beat. In College, he could not beat Florida. Spurrier got in his head. In the pros, he could not beat New England. Bill B had his number.

For a dozen years, Indianapolis was a favored team to win at the start of the season. Once the playoffs started, the Colts were almost always a top seed and favored to win. Peyton never seemed to come up big.

Eli and the Giants were never favored to win anything. Eli came up big in big games and carried teams that were far from great to two championships. Where Peyton has been an underachiever with the teams he played for, Eli has been an overachiever

Eli also has something Peyton doesn't........Historic wins
Beating an 18-0 team with a last second game winning drive is perhaps the most historic win in all of football
Repeating it against the same team is also historic.

There is no single win in Peytons career where he had a monster drive in a huge game to win. No unbelievable play where he came up big in crunch time.

In the Manning gene pool, Peyton got most of the raw talent. Eli got most of the heart.

You're comparing Gomer (Peyton) to Goober (Eli). I'll take Gomer all day long. Gomer has never had anywhere close to the defensive units that Goober has had over the years.

The proof happened this year. How good, or bad, were the Colts WITHOUT Gomer? They SUCKED. All the same players were there, except for ONE player.

Eli is a good quarterback, a CLUTCH quarterback, BUT the Giants ALWAYS have a good defense. Once the Giants defense got healthy this year, they were DOMINANT. The Colt's defenses over the years have been average, at best.

Peyton Manning is better than Eli Manning. No question about it. Peyton is much more intelligent, and Peyton exudes confidence. I just don't see those same qualities in Eli.

Forum List

Back