Elementary school shooting

So, decades ago when we had LESS gun laws, we didn't see this sort of thing.

Now, we have MORE gun laws and we see MORE of this sort of thing.

Is this a gun problem or a societal problem? I say the latter - too many folks are fucked in the head. Why?

its not the guns.... its about the sensationalized idea of going out in a blaze of "glory" Thanks the muslims for bringing the idea of mass killings and how to do it into open discussion.... the idea of "soft targets for maxim effect"

oook this has nothing to do with what happened,but thanks for playing.

so you say.....

its not the guns.... its about the sensationalized idea of going out in a blaze of "glory" Thanks the muslims for bringing the idea of mass killings and how to do it into open discussion.... the idea of "soft targets for maxim effect"

oook this has nothing to do with what happened,but thanks for playing.

so you say.....

yeah i did, because it has nothing to do with this.

:confused: Wasn't Columbine before 9/11?

i am not just talking about 911....

there were plenty of suicide bombers before that.
It's a bit of a stretch to blame this on suicide bombers.

I am not blaming it on anything...

i am pointing out that people with issues are exposed to ideas that may not have occurred to them before.... grander plans and such.

i am pointing out that people with issues are exposed to ideas that may not have occurred to them before.... grander plans and such.

You're talking about human (or inhuman) nature. That's never going to change. People are always going to kill each other.

Enabling them by providing the tools is the problem, imo.

Social engineering is gay.........and focus on how people should be parenting is accurate but there will ALWAYS be k00ks amongst us. These people are mentally fucked...........

The focus needs to be on protection. It needs to be publicized that every single school has at least 2 armed and trained professionals in each building. You cannot prevent this shit from happening..........EVER.........but you sure as hell can save some lives and if you save ONE, its money well spent. It needs to happen yesterday............

The same politicizing is going on in this thread so why was the one I was in moved? So stupid. Whatever, rhetorical question but all my posts are in the other damn thread.

:confused: Wasn't Columbine before 9/11?
Yes, it was. And, I don't know if anyone noticed, but for years after the 9/11 attacks, we didn't have any of this sort of shit. My take on that is that too many folks did not want to do something that was similar to what happened on 9/11.

Now, we have it again. This guy is 24...he was just a kid when 9/11 happened. What went wrong with his (or others who do the same) moral compass?

What do you mean? We have shootings every day... The only difference the ones that get the full attention of the media happen to be the ones that have scarier looking guns, Yet those guns function exactly the same as every other semi- automatic hunting rifle out there. It's about the gun control nuts targeting certain guns like the AR-15... Because they look scary. Nothing more than idiots playing on people's emotions to accomplish their tyrannical agenda... To disarm Law abiding citizens.

Syreen. Shut the fuck up you're becoming more outrageous then I thought you were. Blame the Muslims...wtf do they have to do with this? You moron, it hurts to know we have mass shooters in our country who are non Muslims. That's according to you, you're sick and your argument isn't even possible.

Dec. 14, 2012: A gunman opened fire inside a Newtown, Conn., elementary school Friday in a shooting that left 27 people dead, including 18 children.
Aug. 13, 2012: A 30-minute shootout near the Texas A&M University campus in College Station, Texas, resulted in the deaths of a police constable, a bystander, the shooter, and the injury of four others.
Aug. 5, 2012: A gunman opens fire at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wis. killing six people and wounding three. Police shot and killed the suspect, Wade Michael Page, after the attack.
July 17, 2012: A gunman stood outside of a crowded downtown bar and opened fire from two different sending patrons running or crawling for cover. At least 17 people were hurt. Nathan Van Wilkins, 44, surrendered about 10 hours after the shooting near the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa, police said.
July 20, 2012: During a midnight screening of the film "The Dark Knight Rises" inAurora, Colo., a gunman opens fire on the crowded theater. At least 12 people are killed and 58 others are wounded. The suspect, James Holmes, set off a smoke device in the front of the theater before opening fire. Directly after the incident, Holmes, age 24, was arrested in a parking lot behind the theater.
June 9, 2012: A gunman opens fire at an apartment complex near the campus of Auburn University. Three people were killed - among them Auburn football player Edward Christian, a former star at Lowndes High School in Valdosta, Ga., and former teammate Ladarious Phillips - and three others were wounded.
April 2, 2012: One Goh, a 43-year-old former student at Oikos University, a Christian school, opened fire on the Oakland, Calif., campus, killing seven people and wounding several others.
March 6, 2012: Shane Schumerth, a 28-year-old teacher at Episcopal High School in Jacksonville, Fla., returned to the campus after being fired and shot and killed the headmistress, Dale Regan, with an assault rifle.
Feb. 27, 2012: At Chardon High School in Ohio, a former classmate opened fire, killing three students and injuring six. Arrested shortly after the incident, the shooter said that he randomly picked students.
Dec. 8, 2011: A Virginia Tech police officer was shot and killed by a 22-year old student of Radford University. The shooting took place in a parking lot on Virginia Tech's campus in Blacksburg, Va.
May 10, 2011: Three people were killed in a parking garage at San Jose State University. Two former students were found dead on the fifth floor of a garage at the San Jose, Calif., campus. A third, the suspected shooter, died later at the hospital.
Jan. 5, 2011: Two people opened fire during a Worthing High School powder-puff football game in Houston, Texas. One former student died. Five other people were injured.
Jan. 8, 2011: Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in an assassination attempt. At least 17 others are shot by a gunman, identified as Jared Lee Loughner, who opened fire on the congresswoman's constituent meeting outside a grocery store in Tuscon, Ariz. Six people are fatally wounded, including U.S. District Court Judge John Roll, and a young girl.
Jan. 5, 2011: Two people were killed and two more injured in a shooting at Millard South High School in Omaha, Neb. Shortly after being suspended from school, the shooter returned and shot the assistant principal, principal, and the school nurse. The shooter then left campus and took his own life.
Feb. 12, 2010: During a meeting on campus, Amy Bishop, a biology professor, began shot her colleagues, killing three and wounding three others in Huntsville, Ala.
March 9, 2010: A man opens fire at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, killing two employees and wounding one other.
Feb. 14, 2008: Gunman killed five students and then himself, and wounded 17 more when he opened fire on a classroom at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill. The gunman, Stephen P. Kazmierczak, was identified as a former graduate student at the university in 2007.
Feb. 8, 2008: A nursing student shot and killed two women and then herself in a classroom at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge.
Oct. 10, 2007: A 14-year-old student at a Cleveland (Ohio) high school, Asa H. Coon, shot and injured two students and two teachers before he shot and killed himself. The victims' injuries were not life-threatening.
April 16, 2007: A 23-year-old Virginia Tech student, Cho Seung-Hui, killed two in a dorm, then killed 30 more 2 hours later in a classroom building on the Blacksburg, Va., campus. His suicide brought the death toll to 33, making the shooting rampage the most deadly in U.S. history. Fifteen others were wounded.
Oct. 3, 2006: 32-year-old Carl Charles Roberts IV entered the one-room West Nickel Mines Amish School in Nickel Mines, Pa., and shot 10 schoolgirls, ranging in age from 6 to 13 years old, and then himself. Five of the girls and Roberts died.
Sept. 27, 2006: Adult male held six students hostage at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey, Colo., and then shot and killed Emily Keyes, 16, and himself.
Aug. 24, 2006: Christopher Williams, 27, looking for his ex-girlfriend at Essex Elementary School in Essex, Vt., shot two teachers, killing one and wounding another. Before going to the school, he had killed the ex-girlfriend's mother.
Nov. 8, 2005: One 15-year-old shot and killed an assistant principal at Campbell County High School in Jacksboro, Tenn., and seriously wounded two other administrators.
March 21, 2005: Jeff Weise, 16, killed grandfather and companion, then arrived at school where he killed a teacher, a security guard, 5 students, and finally himself, leaving a total of 10 dead in Red Lake, Minn.
Sept. 24, 2003: Two students are killed at Rocori High School in Cold Spring, Minn., by John Jason McLaughlin, 15.
April 14, 2003: One 15-year-old killed, and three students were wounded at John McDonogh High School in New Orleans by gunfire from four teenagers (none were students at the school). The motive was reportedly gang-related.
October 2002: A series of sniper-style shootings leave 10 dead around the Washington, D.C., area.
Oct. 28, 2002: Robert S. Flores Jr., 41, a student at the nursing school at the University of Arizona in Tucson, shot and killed three female professors and then himself.
March 22, 2001: One teacher and three students wounded by Jason Hoffman, 18, at Granite Hills (Calif.) High School. A policeman shot and wounded Hoffman.
March 5, 2001: Two killed and 13 wounded by Charles Andrew Williams, 15, firing from a bathroom at Santana High School in Santee, Calif.
May 26, 2000: One teacher, Barry Grunow, shot and killed at Lake Worth Middle School by Nate Brazill, 13, with .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol on the last day of classes in Lake Worth, Fla.
March 10, 2000: Two students killed by Darrell Ingram, 19, while leaving a dance sponsored by Beach High School in Savannah, Ga.
Sept. 16, 1999: A gunman, identified as as Larry Gene Ashbrook, opened fire at a prayer service in Fort Worth, Texas, killing six people before committing suicide.
July 1999: A stock exchange trader in Atlanta, killed 12 people including his wife and two children before taking his own life.
April 1999: Two teenage schoolboys shot and killed 12 schoolmates and a teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., before killing themselves.
Dec. 1, 1997: Michael Carneal opened fire with a .22-caliber pistol in the lobby of Heath High School in Paducah, Ky., shooting eight teenagers during their morning prayer circle meeting. Three students were killed, five others were wounded.
Aug. 1, 1966: A University of Texas engineering student and former Marine, Charles Joseph Whitman, fired at random targets from the 28th floor observation deck of the Main Building, killing 13 and wounding 32 others, before being shot and killed by an Austin, Texas, police officer.

You're talking about human (or inhuman) nature. That's never going to change. People are always going to kill each other.

But ravi, decades ago we had less gun control laws - guns were much more readily available to persons...the tools were more available.

Now they are less available, yet we have more of this shit. I don't think it's the tools' availability that is the problem because the correlation is inverted.

ok before you gun grabbers go off on a tangent about being able to buy guns
The murderer was 20 years old
A 20-year-old man dressed in all black carrying two guns killed 26 people -- including his mother and 18 children -- during morning announcements at a Newtown elementary school on Friday, NBC has learned. The massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School is one the worst school shooting in American history.
26 Dead at Newtown School: NBC | NBC Connecticut

he used two hand guns
you cannot buy a handgun in Connecticut unless you are at least 21
What Are the Gun Laws in Connecticut?

No one and I mean no one on this forum here knows why this man did this. We just know that lots of people and young children are dead and that fact is breaking lots of hearts right now.

Again, the price of freedom. Just like car accidents, we are starting to expect these and move on after the initial "Awwwwww".

The alternative is to lock up everyone because that would be that alternative to "putting up" with these shootings.

The idea they need to be exposed to is thinking BEFORE they go into the school and snap that if they start shooting people, they are dying because somebody IN the school is going to put one between their eyeballs. THATS just the possible deterrent factor..........the more important thing is to dramatically reduce the carnage and number of deaths.

I kind of hate engaging in this type of discussion so soon after the tragedy, but do we ban axes, hammers, baseball bats, cars, knives, ropes, screwdrivers, etc etc.... ?
All of the listed have been used to kill.
In fact baseball bats are the most popular murder weapon out there.

This is a tragic situation, but we can't act emotionally and pass more dumb laws.

Forum List

Back