Elementary school shooting

I don't pretend to possess expertise of knowledge of guns and all related topics.

'Concealed Weapon', to me that means you are 'armed'.

If you are on school property with a weapon there is a chance that the weapon can be taken from you. All sorts of complex issues could then arise.

Not much on reading comprehension or vocabulary either are you? Try re-reading his post, slowly, paying special attention to; "we do not arm anyone" as opposed to the part that says "we allow for a teacher who has a concealed carry permit to carry on the school grounds if they so desire". As for the rest, yeah there's a chance someone can take your weapon, there's also a chance you can get struck by lightning does that make you hide under your bed every time there's a thunderstorm?

whatever.
To simplify--you and others believe 'teachers with guns' would be beneficial. I have reservations.

Not worth further discussion. If this becomes a reality, highly unlikely, imo--then the matter will be resolved one way or the other.
No body is saying they want to force all teachers to carry firearms in school. How about we allow those teachers who are willing and who already have the training CCW to carry while on school grounds, (and carrying being concealed.)

whatever.
To simplify--you and others believe 'teachers with guns' would be beneficial. I have reservations.

Not worth further discussion. If this becomes a reality, highly unlikely, imo--then the matter will be resolved one way or the other.
No body is saying they want to force all teachers to carry firearms in school. How about we allow those teachers who are willing and who already have the training CCW to carry while on school grounds, (and carrying being concealed.)

maybe--I really don't know and don't care that much.

After the Newtown incident there were several articles which inferred that GA lacked funds for providing armed guards at schools. That is the truth. Not much more news on that topic since then.

The article on MS linked to an article in the Augusta Chronicle--apparently further discussion is taking place in the legislature. shrug--Sounds like that is all. Money--we just don't have the money to do a lot of things when it comes to education.

here it is --for those who are interested--fwiw.

Many gun proposals for Ga. legislative session, but governor and GOP leaders tread gently | The Augusta Chronicle

---Deal spokesman Brian Robinson---
'Robinson said the governor took action on three fronts immediately after the Newtown shootings: He asked education authorities to review school safety procedures, directed state emergency management authorities to review response protocol and ordered an assessment of the state’s infrastructure for mental health care.'

What I still wonder is how the Atlanta Public Schools allowed metal detectors in a middle school to be 'out of operation' and why there has been nothing more said about that after a student was shot by another student at that middle school last week? That is pretty serious to me, if not to others.

Last edited:

After the Newtown incident there were several articles which inferred that GA lacked funds for providing armed guards at schools. That is the truth. Not much more news on that topic since then.

The article on MS linked to an article in the Augusta Chronicle--apparently further discussion is taking place in the legislature. shrug--Sounds like that is all. Money--we just don't have the money to do a lot of things when it comes to education.

Many gun proposals for Ga. legislative session, but governor and GOP leaders tread gently | The Augusta Chronicle

Why in the hell are you in this discussion?

Why not?

After hearing 'something must be done' ad infinitum --I truly wonder what is it that should be done?

I suppose that is why I expressed an opinion. I don't have an extreme opinion but I do have some concerns.

~~~~~~~
Last there was an exceptionally 'intense' food fight in a middle school. The administration warned the students that severe consequences would follow for those who participated. 100 or more chose to take the risk. In such a situation there is the potential for emotions to cloud judgment --I suppose that is my main concern.

10 students face permanent suspension and several are facing criminal charges. fwiw.

Last edited:

Why not?

After hearing 'something must be done' ad infinitum --I truly wonder what is it that should be done?

I suppose that is why I expressed an opinion. I don't have an extreme opinion but I do have some concerns.

~~~~~~~
Last there was an exceptionally 'intense' food fight in a middle school. The administration warned the students that severe consequences would follow for those who participated. 100 or more chose to take the risk. In such a situation there is the potential for emotions to cloud judgment --I suppose that is my main concern.

10 students face permanent suspension and several are facing criminal charges. fwiw.

You don't care but you want to give your opinion which in my opinion is about the most stupidest thing anyone can do.

Something as to be done even if it hasn't worked in the past?
How about enforcing current laws
Allow teachers with concealed carry permit that are willing to carry on school grounds the opportunity to do so.
How about doing away with gun free zones?

ok--you have expressed your opinion.

I suppose I 'care' at some level. It is not clear to me at this point what would be best for schools.

Those in positions of authority seem to agree that such decisions should be made at a local level. I am fairly certain that the leadership of my local school district will not be discussing this in the near future. The school system is in trouble, on probation for mismanagement of funds and they are now seeking a new superintendent, after replacing a corrupt superintendent 3 years ago. His trial will begin this spring.

What may work for one school system might not be effective for another.

I suppose I 'care' at some level. It is not clear to me at this point what would be best for schools.

Those in positions of authority seem to agree that such decisions should be made at a local level. I am fairly certain that the leadership of my local school district will not be discussing this in the near future. The school system is in trouble, on probation for mismanagement of funds and they are now seeking a new superintendent, after replacing a corrupt superintendent 3 years ago. His trial will begin this spring.

You know how to use the quote function
If you're addressing me use the god damn thing

Allow teachers with concealed carry permit that are willing to carry on school grounds the opportunity to do so.

I apologize for failure to use the quote function.

I could have a similar exchange with a family member. No matter what I said I would be 'wrong'. Futile to do more than agree.

I can't adequately discuss 'doing away with gun free zones' or the other topics you suggested.

I could have a similar exchange with a family member. No matter what I said I would be 'wrong'. Futile to do more than agree.

I can't adequately discuss 'doing away with gun free zones' or the other topics you suggested.

Thank you, it's one of the little things that aggravates me about some on here they'll use the quote function one time and when you make a point they'll stop using it.

Why can't you? You have an opinion and how your opinion can be carried out and used don't you?

Thank you, it's one of the little things that aggravates me about some on here they'll use the quote function one time and when you make a point they'll stop using it.

Why can't you? You have an opinion and how your opinion can be carried out and used don't you?

I just forgot --to use the quote function.

It is too complex of an issue for me.
I know I am not a person who should have a gun--anywhere. I taught for many years and can only think of a few people that I ever worked with who might be able to respond appropriately in volatile situations and therefore have some concerns about how this sort of plan could ever be implemented.

Some of my middle school students should have been in high school and would easily have been able to overpower me.

In areas where 'illegal guns' will always be available --I don't know what can be done. That is about as far as I have gotten with all of this.

It is 'significant' to me that this is not being discussed locally. Too 'hot' of a topic I can only assume.

I know I am not a person who should have a gun--anywhere. I taught for many years and can only think of a few people that I ever worked with who might be able to respond appropriately in volatile situations and therefore have some concerns about how this sort of plan could ever be implemented.

Some of my middle school students should have been in high school and would easily have been able to overpower me.

In areas where 'illegal guns' will always be available --I don't know what can be done. That is about as far as I have gotten with all of this.

It is 'significant' to me that this is not being discussed locally. Too 'hot' of a topic I can only assume.

No one has mandated or even mentioned that teachers who don't want to carry should carry. What has been proposed id that those teachers who are willing and able to carry should be allowed to carry, with the right training.

No one has mandated or even mentioned that teachers who don't want to carry should carry. What has been proposed id that those teachers who are willing and able to carry should be allowed to carry, with the right training.

I have always thought that former military/that sort of individual --could work wonders in many schools, fwiw.

So much goes on in schools. Emotions are always 'flying'--it is just difficult to imagine how the sort of individuals who could remain 'rational' and cool could ever be found in sufficient numbers.

I hope things can be worked out somehow.

Forum List

Back