elementary school in my area being closed for week

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
due to threat of swine flu. there are 15 cases in the county.

I wonder...wouldn't it be better to get the virus now and be immune to it if it mutates into something worse in the fall?

Right now the CDC is playing for time. Time to develop an effective vaccine, and time to study the genetics and try to understand the extent of the threat. The steps being taken are prudent, IMO, given the experiance we had with a similiar flu in 1918.

Right now the CDC is playing for time. Time to develop an effective vaccine, and time to study the genetics and try to understand the extent of the threat. The steps being taken are prudent, IMO, given the experiance we had with a similiar flu in 1918.

Stop spreading panic. This flu is extremely mild. You'll be out of commission a day or two and be right back at it with no treatment except rest and lots of fluids.

This flu thing is completely stupid.

I actually just heard on the news that the genetic markers that were present in the 1918 flu aren't present in this incarnation. The CDC seems to think that's a good thing.

They have closed 2 by me for an entire week.

Don't know what will happen this week with other schools. The state superintendent said the schools closed for "health reasons" don't have to make up the missed days, like we have to for snow days.

I home today with a sinus infection, but my school still stayed open. :eusa_whistle:

Stop spreading panic. This flu is extremely mild. You'll be out of commission a day or two and be right back at it with no treatment except rest and lots of fluids.

This flu thing is completely stupid.

I don't have a problem with the warnings and all, but I do think they've gone overboard without really knowing much about this flu. Saying this flu is extremely mild could be wrong also.

It is estimated that 20,000 people die every year in the US from the flu, any type of flu.

Deaths from Flu - WrongDiagnosis.com

So the real question is whether or not this swine flu really is any worse than any other flu. While it is prudent for the government to take precautions, I just think the hype around this is overblown and scaring a lot of people unnecessarily.

Going by my memory of history only, as I recall there were no vaccines in 1918. There certainly was no CDC. Basically, from a national agency standpoint, the country was not a whole lot different than it was right after the Civil War.

I just do not see this situation being much more than a media event.

Going by my memory of history only, as I recall there were no vaccines in 1918. There certainly was no CDC. Basically, from a national agency standpoint, the country was not a whole lot different than it was right after the Civil War.

I just do not see this situation being much more than a media event.

It's not a media event. People have died.

It may be a threat, or it may have already mutated to a milder strain.

In the beginning it was killing 6% of the people who got it.

There were no flu vacines in 1918. You are correct about that. But, at present, there is no flu vacine for this particular strain. Right now, it does look as if it is about average in lethality. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Forum List

Back