Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Immanuel

Gold Member
May 15, 2007
Elementary School To Make Condoms Available - Health News Story - KPRC Houston

PROVINCETOWN, Mass. -- Elementary school students in a Massachusetts town would be given condoms if they ask for them -- whether their parents approve or not -- under a policy approved by the town’s school committee last week, WCVB-TV in Boston reported.

The policy requires that students speak to a school nurse or other trained counselor before receiving a condom, a local website reported.

Dr. Beth Singer, the school superintendent, said since there is no age limit on the distribution policy, said she wanted to ensure that younger students requesting condoms receive information on their use.

“We’re talking about younger kids. They have questions they need answered on how to use them, when to use them,” Singer said.

Wasn't candidate Obama all for "Age Appropriate" Sex Education? Is this what he meant?

A kindergartner can receive free condoms?

Is this going too far or not enough? Maybe we should hand them out to toddlers?

Immie

The story did not make clear whether the students include the sixth, seventh or eighth grades, Immie.

What struck me, isn't sex with a child illegal in Massachusetts even if the other person is also a child?

The story did not make clear whether the students include the sixth, seventh or eighth grades, Immie.

What struck me, isn't sex with a child illegal in Massachusetts even if the other person is also a child?

It made it clear that age doesn't matter:

Dr. Beth Singer, the school superintendent, said since there is no age limit on the distribution policy, said she wanted to ensure that younger students requesting condoms receive information on their use.

I wonder, do the teachers, teach them how to put them on too?

Immie

Last edited:
What use is it to give condoms to people who don't know how to use them?

I just think the story is weird. If the child walks into the nurse's office and says anyone else is having sex with her or him, surely they have a duty to report the crime? But if the child reports sex with another child, it's all good?

This ain't hanging together for me.

I just think the story is weird. If the child walks into the nurse's office and says anyone else is having sex with her or him, surely they have a duty to report the crime? But if the child reports sex with another child, it's all good?

I know that they would have the duty to report it if it were in California or Florida. I would suspect they would if it were in Massachusetts as well. I know they have a reputation of being far far far left, but I cannot believe that they would not require teachers to report potential abuse.

Immie

I know that they would have the duty to report it if it were in California or Florida. I would suspect they would if it were in Massachusetts as well. I know they have a reputation of being far far far left, but I cannot believe that they would not require teachers to report potential abuse.

Immie

That's a federal law. same as a dr has to report a gunshot victim to LEO.

and this is stupid. a school should have no part in passing out birth control.

The law usually is state, and usually has a shadow age of consent. The age below which, the sexual offenses are VERY serious. I think in Florida it is 13. I'm not aware of any federal laws governing sexual contact with a child apart from mebbe laws prohibitting it on federal lands.

It's hard to discuss this because so many issues conflux at once. I can't help thinking we have to be missing a great many facts.

The law usually is state, and usually has a shadow age of consent. The age below which, the sexual offenses are VERY serious. I think in Florida it is 13. I'm not aware of any federal laws governing sexual contact with a child apart from mebbe laws prohibitting it on federal lands.

It's hard to discuss this because so many issues conflux at once. I can't help thinking we have to be missing a great many facts.

Again, I will have to correct you, any state which receives federal funds for school must comply with the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act and its subsequent additions.

Under this federal umbrella all states must perform at least a minimum of functions including reporting abuse or even suspected abuse to LEO.

Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act

i really don't get some people's passion for handing out birth control to younger and younger people. Having a high school nurse hand em out is one thing, but grade school?

And before "PRUDE" replys come in I really dont care who is buggering who as long is it is legal. My concern is why certain authority figures feel the need to get involved in the sex lives of minors they have no relation to, and probably little professional contact with.

Again, I will have to correct you, any state which receives federal funds for school must comply with the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act and its subsequent additions.

Under this federal umbrella all states must perform at least a minimum of functions including reporting abuse or even suspected abuse to LEO.

Yes, I know ConHog. But the activities that constitute sex abuse are nonetheless still defined by state law most of the time.

In any event, I still don't see how all this hangs together. Little Suzie asks for a condom, informs school officials she's sexually active -- and she's younger than 13. In Florida, as best as I can tell, the school officials have a duty to call the police.

So what are they doing in Massachusetts in such cases? Dialing with one hand and handing out condoms with the other?

Yes, I know ConHog. But the activities that constitute sex abuse are nonetheless still defined by state law most of the time.

In any event, I still don't see how all this hangs together. Little Suzie asks for a condom, informs school officials she's sexually active -- and she's younger than 13. In Florida, as best as I can tell, the school officials have a duty to call the police.

So what are they doing in Massachusetts in such cases? Dialing with one hand and handing out condoms with the other?

In THAT case, I don't know what they are doing, but in MY school, well first, we don't have out birth control, second of all yes we'd fire whichever employee didn't notify the police, actually we have an LEO on campus and he would be notified. let them decide if it's rape or not.

Welcome to the basic objection those of us who don't want this to happen have against it. Mandatory reporters should NOT be giving anything of a sexual nature to children. Mandatory reporters should NOT be able to counsel children without the participation of the parents. Except in those cases where the children are removed from the home due to neglect/abuse. That is the only time it's appropriate for anyone to be talking with children about sex or showing them they are EXPECTED TO HAVE SEX, which is what providing condoms to children does.

This is also the problem with Planned Parenthood. SEX WITH CHILDREN IS ILLEGAL, WHY THE FUCK DON'T THEY REPORT IT? Because they don't. They provide abortions to children, don't tell their parents, and they know it is illegal for children to have sex and they don't report it.

The Provincetown school system will revisit its controversial policy of making condoms available to all students, with no age restriction, after Governor Deval Patrick expressed concern yesterday that very young children would have access to them.

A day after the new policy caused a media firestorm, School Committee chairman Peter Grosso said that Provincetown would probably limit condoms to fifth-graders and older.

P-town to rethink condom policy - The Boston Globe

even deval patrick knows this is a bad idea

The Provincetown school system will revisit its controversial policy of making condoms available to all students, with no age restriction, after Governor Deval Patrick expressed concern yesterday that very young children would have access to them.

A day after the new policy caused a media firestorm, School Committee chairman Peter Grosso said that Provincetown would probably limit condoms to fifth-graders and older.

P-town to rethink condom policy - The Boston Globe

even deval patrick knows this is a bad idea

by saying 5th grade they are saying 10 years old and up. Saying 5th grade just makes it sound less creepy.

I would love to see who was on the comittee or board that came up with this idea.

I've been away from your movie for a while but the stats seem to reveal that an enormous percentage of pre teens have viewed some pretty serious Jewnography on the net at a tender age.
Probably whilst there Prozac dreaming 'rents were watching dancing with duh starz or Murkin Idolatry.
Maybe yes is safer than no....in the long run.

Last edited:
There are rising levels of sexual activity among middle school aged kids, especially oral sex. One consequence is the rising levels of STIs -- including a deadly form of HPV that may cause throat cancer. These kids do need education and guidance they clearly are not getting.

On the other hand, giving away condoms to these kids doesn't seem to me to be a particularly helpful response.

There are rising levels of sexual activity among middle school aged kids, especially oral sex. One consequence is the rising levels of STIs -- including a deadly form of HPV that may cause throat cancer. These kids do need education and guidance they clearly are not getting.

On the other hand, giving away condoms to these kids doesn't seem to me to be a particularly helpful response.

Personally , the only pre teen sexual guidance I approve of giving is abstinence. PERIOD. Once they become teenagers we can introduce other aspects.

I don't understand this preoccupation with making kids grow up faster than intended.

Forum List

Back