Electric Vehicle sales are sucking!!!

I'd rather have a Tesla. A household in 2011 spent an average of $368 per month on gas. Based on this auto-loan calculator, the monthly payments for a $40K car over 10 years come out to $332 per month. A $40K Tesla car would cost less over 10 years than simply paying for monthly gas for one's existing car. It would literally pay for itself. And considering gas prices will likely rise, it will way pay for itself.

Indeed........

But at least 95% of the rest of the population would not!!:fu: The new Tesla might help bring EV/Hybrid sales up to about 4% of total vehicle sales. Still a pronounced joke.:gay:

There was a thread on here a little while ago abut electric Harley's......and some meatheads actually thinking these would be a big hit with bike riders. Laughable. I will admit that these people do have a fascinating level of imagination:up:.....clinging to notions of the way they'd like things to be!! That's the compelling thing about the mind of a lefty.....in the face of all the clear realties, they still are able to navigate in this makey-uppey world!!

MEMPHIS, TN -
(WMC) - Memphis motorcycle riders were able to help make history and shape the future of riding.

On Saturday, the first-ever electric Harley Davidson motorcycle arrived in town and several Memphians had an opportunity to test drive it.

The bike is a prototype called Project Live Wire. This is the first time in Harley's history it's allowed the general public to ride a prototype that won't actually be sold.

A WMC Action News Five staff member went for a test ride at Bumpus Harley and said it went from zero to scary in about two seconds. The test rides will help Harley finish their designs before they mass produce the bike.

Memphians test drive electric Harley Davidson motorcycles - Action News 5 - Memphis Tennessee

We will see.

I'd rather have a Tesla. A household in 2011 spent an average of $368 per month on gas. Based on this auto-loan calculator, the monthly payments for a $40K car over 10 years come out to $332 per month. A $40K Tesla car would cost less over 10 years than simply paying for monthly gas for one's existing car. It would literally pay for itself. And considering gas prices will likely rise, it will way pay for itself.

Indeed........

But at least 95% of the rest of the population would not!!:fu: The new Tesla might help bring EV/Hybrid sales up to about 4% of total vehicle sales. Still a pronounced joke.:gay:

There was a thread on here a little while ago abut electric Harley's......and some meatheads actually thinking these would be a big hit with bike riders. Laughable. I will admit that these people do have a fascinating level of imagination:up:.....clinging to notions of the way they'd like things to be!! That's the compelling thing about the mind of a lefty.....in the face of all the clear realties, they still are able to navigate in this makey-uppey world!!
Why do you assume 95% of the population would not?

Now compare to something that annihilates your point: a Toyota Prius C stickers for under $20,000 and gets ~50MPG (53/46 city/highway). So...now you have roughly halved the payments, AND the fuel costs. The Tesla doesn't look so hot now, does it?

MEMPHIS, TN -
(WMC) - Memphis motorcycle riders were able to help make history and shape the future of riding.

On Saturday, the first-ever electric Harley Davidson motorcycle arrived in town and several Memphians had an opportunity to test drive it.

The bike is a prototype called Project Live Wire. This is the first time in Harley's history it's allowed the general public to ride a prototype that won't actually be sold.

A WMC Action News Five staff member went for a test ride at Bumpus Harley and said it went from zero to scary in about two seconds. The test rides will help Harley finish their designs before they mass produce the bike.

Memphians test drive electric Harley Davidson motorcycles - Action News 5 - Memphis Tennessee

We will see.

Dude...ANY big sportbike will do that! (Honestly...for a rider used to a typical Harley cruiser, I suspect a 600cc sportbike might elicit the same reaction.)

Now compare to something that annihilates your point: a Toyota Prius C stickers for under $20,000 and gets ~50MPG (53/46 city/highway). So...now you have roughly halved the payments, AND the fuel costs. The Tesla doesn't look so hot now, does it?
Using the same auto loan calculator site, a Toyota Prius C at the price listed on the Toyota website ($19,800) would cost $191 per month. Assuming people who drive a Prius spend half the amount on gas as the U.S. average (half the fuel costs, as you say), a Prius owner would spend $184 per month on gas. The total cost per month for the car would thus be $375 per month. Again, that is assuming that gas prices do not increase over 10 years (fat chance), giving you the best possible scenario. That is still more expensive than the $40K Tesla at $332 per month.

Sorry, over 10 years a 40K Tesla is still more economical than a 19K Toyota Prius. And that is without even taking into consideration all the other factors that influence car buying (such as the look of the car, safety, support from the company, etc.)

Only if you get electricity for free!

Also, you need to figure the costs for...
Installing the Tesla's charger. (Which might entail upgrading the home's entire electrical system, starting at the pole!)
Insurance...and don't forget to tell your homeowners' insurer that you now have a 220V car charger in the garage!
Renting a car every time you go more than 100 miles from home. (I do it about every three weeks.)

(And also note: I have seen Prius C's advertised at $17,499.)

And wait...TEN YEAR auto loans? SERIOUSLY?! Excuse me, I need to activate the portal back to my home planet!

With Tesla, you get free charging at all of it's supercharger stations. You could technically get all of the electricity needed to power the car for free.

Installing the Tesla's charger. (Which might entail upgrading the home's entire electrical system, starting at the pole!)
Insurance...and don't forget to tell your homeowners' insurer that you now have a 220V car charger in the garage!
Renting a car every time you go more than 100 miles from home. (I do it about every three weeks.)
None of that is required if you live within driving distance of a supercharger station. Feel free to show the numbers for how expensive that will be if you think it debunks the argument though.

(And also note: I have seen Prius C's advertised at $17,499.)
Good for you.

And wait...TEN YEAR auto loans? SERIOUSLY?! Excuse me, I need to activate the portal back to my home planet!
They exist.
More car buyers favoring longer term loans up to 10 years w poll - Autoblog

But it's besides the point. The point is the car would pay for itself after 10 years. The same analysis still holds if you use a five year auto loan. For the Tesla car, that would be $628 per month for five years. That would be $314 per month if you average the costs out over 10 years. That's even better than before. In fact, the shorter the term of the auto loan, the better Tesla will look, because there will be less interest to pay.

Again, you should really consider actually doing the math before you post.

Gotta love it!

Drive your Tesla to exhaustion commuting to the free fuel station and drive home. But if you weren't careful to use only 1/2 of the free fuel you got you won't make it back to the free fuel station to recharge. So no stopping along the way. Sort of like a gerbil in a cage but, hey, if it amuses the gerbil where's the harm?

With Tesla, you get free charging at all of it's supercharger stations. You could technically get all of the electricity needed to power the car for free.

Yes, yif you can GUARANTEE me that the supercharger station is...
...going to be open (and free) forever.
...NEVER going to be full.
...within walking distance of my house.
...totally unrestricted as to use.
(Can't happen...not a sustainable business model without huge subsidies.)

None of that is required if you live within driving distance of a supercharger station. Feel free to show the numbers for how expensive that will be if you think it debunks the argument though.

It cost me about $1000 to wire up a lower-power circuit, and all that was required (aside from various permits and other bureaucracy) was installing a breaker, wiring, and a plug! An EV charger is considerably more involved. If you need the power feed from the pole upgraded...forget it, that's BIG bucks.

Of course...the "$40,000 Tesla" does not exist. It is vapor!

Perhaps this will make it clearer. The price of a new Prius is $19,800. The Tesla Model III is estimated to cost between $30-40K. I will say $40K to give you the best possible comparison.

You assumed that Prius owners would spend half as much on gas as the average. That works out to $184 per month, or $22,080 over a 10 year period. Keep in mind that is assuming gas prices do not rise, a very lofty assumption to make. The total cost of the car plus gas expenses would be $41,880 per year. That is still more expensive than a $40K Tesla with no fuel costs (due to the owner using supercharger stations). Factor in how butt-ugly a Prius C class looks, and the winner is clear.

Gotta love it!

Drive your Tesla to exhaustion commuting to the free fuel station and drive home. But if you weren't careful to use only 1/2 of the free fuel you got you won't make it back to the free fuel station to recharge. So no stopping along the way. Sort of like a gerbil in a cage but, hey, if it amuses the gerbil where's the harm?
No different than driving to a gas station and driving home...except for the fact that you get charged for gas at a gas station, but supercharger stations are free.

Yes, yif you can GUARANTEE me that the supercharger station is...
...going to be open (and free) forever.
...NEVER going to be full.
...within walking distance of my house.
...totally unrestricted as to use.
(Can't happen...not a sustainable business model without huge subsidies.)

It cost me about $1000 to wire up a lower-power circuit, and all that was required (aside from various permits and other bureaucracy) was installing a breaker, wiring, and a plug! An EV charger is considerably more involved. If you need the power feed from the pole upgraded...forget it, that's BIG bucks.

Of course...the "$40,000 Tesla" does not exist. It is vapor!
Ok. That adds $8 per month over 10 years. Tesla still wins. From these comments
Cost of installing high power home charging Forums Tesla Motors

the cost seems to typically be under $1,000. The lowest I saw someone pay was $125, the highest $2,000. And even if it were $2,000, Tesla would still come out as cheaper over 10 years.

Gotta love it!

No different than driving to a gas station and driving home...except for the fact that you get charged for gas at a gas station, but supercharger stations are free.

You might sit on your ass for half an hour every time you gas up...if so, you're pretty weird. I'm in and out in 5 minutes.

Can't you just see Tesla "free fuel" owners lining up to buy homes within commuting distance of a few "free fuel" stations? At inflated prices.

Of course none of them would figure out that owning a home that close could have wonderful bennies in addition.

For example, fuel up for free, hook up the battery in your Tesla to your electric heating system, your water heater, your TV and even your computer and run the battery down overnight then, quick like a bunny, race to the free fuel station and load up for the day.

I'm sure Tesla will be pleased to learn of that sort of enterprise!

Only thing that would be better is if you could get a Tesla like you got your Obamaphone - FREE!!!!

Gotta love it!

You might sit on your ass for half an hour every time you gas up...if so, you're pretty weird. I'm in and out in 5 minutes.
Unless I was making a long trip that day, I wouldn't need to charge it fully. I could get 80% in 20 minutes. And the wait is a small price to pay for not having to pay for gas.

Conjecture based upon personal desire is gay.

The only thing that matters are the sales numbers........which blow for EV's and hybrids relative to gas powered vehicles.

Only the far left cant connect the dots.......they see rising % #'s and get giddy. But the rest of the world doesn't......because they ask the question that your far left asshole never asks......and that is >>>

"Compared to what?". To people who navigate in the real world......its the only question that matters.

Far left people never ask two questions no matter what you are discussing......

1) At what cost?

2) As compared to what?

gay

That is why all the bumper stickers speak of "fantasies" and "mental conditions".

The rest of the world DOES ask those questions!!!!

Which is also why THIS thread DOMINATES this forum >>> More Proof the skeptics are WINNING US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

yearendstockprices.aspx
yearendstockprices.aspx

Closing price Friday 279.20

Tesla - Historic Stock Lookup

Looks like mainline capitalists like Tesla.

Forum List

Back