Electric Power Generator:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I live very close to the Jersey Shore, which was hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy. Where I live is one of very few areas which were spared major damage and power outage. Having seen what happened to nearby communities, and having watched a TV production called, The Coming Storm, I decided to get an electric power generator, which arrived this afternoon.

ds4400e_003.jpg

The expense is a bit of a setback for something I hope I will never need to use. But the thought of being without electricity for days, or weeks -- which has been typical in this area, is daunting.

This generator is available from Amazon. It comes with a kit to install the wheels and the handles for moving it around (it weighs 115 pounds) and it runs for 10 hours on five gallons of gas. It will power a refrigerator, lights, computer, fans, tv, or even a window a/c.

A year ago I would not have succumbed to the idea of buying a generator. But the damage the hurricane caused, combined with that tv documentary, scared the hell out of me. It showed and explained quite convincingly how and why electric power outages will soon become commonplace because of the changes in weather and the decayed condition of our electrical grid and local distribution facilities.

Today I can say I feel the same about power generators as I feel about guns, which is it's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

Last edited:
I live very close to the Jersey Shore, which was hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy. Where I live is one of very few areas which were spared major damage and power outage. Having seen what happened to nearby communities, and having watched a TV production called, The Coming Storm, I decided to get an electric power generator, which arrived this afternoon.

ds4400e_003.jpg

The expense is a bit of a setback for something I hope I will never need to use. But the thought of being without electricity for days, or weeks -- which has been typical in this area, is daunting.

This generator is available from Amazon. It comes with a kit to install the wheels and the handles for moving it around (it weighs 115 pounds) and it runs for 10 hours on five gallons of gas. It will power a refrigerator, lights, computer, fans, tv, or even a window a/c.

A year ago I would not have succumbed to the idea of buying a generator. But the damage the hurricane caused, combined with that tv documentary, scared the hell out of me. It showed and explained quite convincingly how and why electric power outages will soon become commonplace because of the changes in weather and the decayed condition of our electrical grid and local distribution facilities.

Today I can say I feel the same about power generators as I feel about guns, which is it's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.
I guy has got to do, whatever he has to do, to keep ESPN in the home.

$500 ain't bad.
Be sure to change out the gasoline once/year. And keep extra on hand.
Actually I paid only $450 for it from Amazon and they shipped it free.

Re: the gasoline: Does that stabilizer chemical for preserving gasoline really work: If so, how long is it effective?

I probably will fill it with oil and put half a gallon of gas in and run it out to test it. How long before the oil needs to be changed if standing idle in a garage?

And thanks for the info. (I'm an engine dummy.)

ds4400e_003.jpg

i did the same thing, we were 11 days without power. I broke down and bought a generator as well

I would suggest putting a transfer panel to your breaker panel. I makes things much easier......

Make sure you CLOSE the gas flow when it's sitting there unused.
Close it - start it - and let it run until it runs out of gas. This way all the gas itout of the carb. Leaving gas sit in the carb - not good. Will gum it up and you'll end up having to get the carb torn down and rebuilt. I do the same with snow blower, lawn tractor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LjuZsod4E4]Free power- How to convert a washing machine into a water powered generator - YouTube[/ame]

I would suggest putting a transfer panel to your breaker panel. I makes things much easier......
You're right. But that's an expensive upgrade considering the cost of the electrician. And it calls for a much more powerful generator than the one I have to make full use of the convenience.

So I'm hoping if I ever need to use this thing it will be for only a few days or a couple of weeks at most. I can squeeze by for that long with minimal lighting, mainly the refrigerator and freezer, local tv and, hopefully, the computer (if the cable isn't down).

One of my neighbors has an auxiliary service panel next to his breaker panel but he has a really big generator. It's the size of a freezer chest and it uses a lot of gas. Which presents another problem -- that of the gasoline shortage we experienced here for two weeks after Sandy. There were lines and most local stations closed down.

By the way, did you happen to see the tv documentary, The Coming Storm?

You're right. But that's an expensive upgrade considering the cost of the electrician. And it calls for a much more powerful generator than the one I have to make full use of the convenience.

So I'm hoping if I ever need to use this thing it will be for only a few days or a couple of weeks at most. I can squeeze by for that long with minimal lighting, mainly the refrigerator and freezer, local tv and, hopefully, the computer (if the cable isn't down).

One of my neighbors has an auxiliary service panel next to his breaker panel but he has a really big generator. It's the size of a freezer chest and it uses a lot of gas. Which presents another problem -- that of the gasoline shortage we experienced here for two weeks after Sandy. There were lines and most local stations closed down.

By the way, did you happen to see the tv documentary, The Coming Storm?

no, it doesn't need a bigger generator.... it will just select what circuits you want to power up...and not the whole house.

So ours goes to the refrigerators..... one outlet in the living room and one in the bedroom.

it makes it easier then running power cords to the things you want.

No, i did not see the documentary.... but have worked disaster preparedness with the red cross for years.

no, it doesn't need a bigger generator.... it will just select what circuits you want to power up...and not the whole house.

[...]
Interesting.

My generator is 4,400 Watts. I'm assuming that will power my refrigerator, freezer, and enough light to read by until the power comes back. So it comes down to whether I wish to bear the expense of having the panel put in vs putting up with extension cords -- if in fact the need will ever arise.

Briefly stated, my situation is such that an auxiliary panel would be a luxury rather than an expedient.

[...]
Interesting.

My generator is 4,400 Watts. I'm assuming that will power my refrigerator, freezer, and enough light to read by until the power comes back. So it comes down to whether I wish to bear the expense of having the panel put in vs putting up with extension cords -- if in fact the need will ever arise.

Briefly stated, my situation is such that an auxiliary panel would be a luxury rather than an expedient.

yea, 4400 will more than cover that. the only real demand you have there is the refridgerator, and that doesn't draw 100% of the time. only when the motor needs to run to cool it.

Forum List

Back