Electric Cars Great....Indoors

An electric vehicle with a range of 21 miles is nothing more than an enclosed golf cart.

With a backup camera, a nicely quiet cabin as it zips down public interstates at 70mph, blasting out tunes via bluetooth from the phone or XM radio, carrying 5 adults, alternating cooling the cabin on 100F days, or warming it on 20F days, with antilock brakes, air bags all over the place, you know, all those enclosed golf cart amenities. Oh...and it isn't allowed on a golf course because...you know...everyone thinks that because it drives like, acts like, quacks like a car..you know...it IS one.

The auto manufactures are putting out more and more of the plugin hybrids. That certainly makes sense. Most people's work is less than 40 miles from where they live. So, with a range of 40 to 50 miles, that saves considerable money for the person doing the commuting. And makes them far less vulnerable to fluctuations in fuel prices. I am looking forward to the next five years to see what happens to the cost and energy density of the batteries.

The auto manufactures are putting out more and more of the plugin hybrids. That certainly makes sense. Most people's work is less than 40 miles from where they live. So, with a range of 40 to 50 miles, that saves considerable money for the person doing the commuting. And makes them far less vulnerable to fluctuations in fuel prices. I am looking forward to the next five years to see what happens to the cost and energy density of the batteries.

The wife and I are pretty happy with the duality of a plug in hybrid. It works pretty well for our specific conditions, all EV for as much local commuting as we do, and then tank it up and off across the country like any normal car you go. Our work/commuting arrangement is going to change in about 3-1/2 years, and the temperature environment as well, which is important to battery longevity and thermal management issues. By then I imagine the choices we will have for both more capable plug-ins and cheaper full EVs like the Bolt will be increased. By then used ones should be coming off lease, I was surprised when the Leafs began to come off lease, low miles, and they were pretty inexpensive.

The wife and I are pretty happy with the duality of a plug in hybrid. It works pretty well for our specific conditions, all EV for as much local commuting as we do, and then tank it up and off across the country like any normal car you go. Our work/commuting arrangement is going to change in about 3-1/2 years, and the temperature environment as well, which is important to battery longevity and thermal management issues. By then I imagine the choices we will have for both more capable plug-ins and cheaper full EVs like the Bolt will be increased. By then used ones should be coming off lease, I was surprised when the Leafs began to come off lease, low miles, and they were pretty inexpensive.
Good points. Since I am one of those people that run the wheels off a rig before I get another one, I have about three years before I will need a new rig. By then there should be plug in hybrids in many types of vehicles.

Forum List

Back