Electric Car Question

Desperado

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2012
I have a question about electric cars. If you live in an apartment, dormitory or military barracks how do you charge your car? Extension cords through the window? Seriously seems this would limit the cars perspective buyer base.

You charge them like everyone else does. At a charging station. Some apartments have them in the parking garage
Do college dormitories have them?
Do military bases provide them for their personal at the barracks?
Some apartments have them in the parking garage but not all and some apartment buildings/condos and townhouses do not have parking garages let alone charging stations.

I have a question about electric cars. If you live in an apartment, dormitory or military barracks how do you charge your car? Extension cords through the window? Seriously seems this would limit the cars perspective buyer base.

Not a current event, right?

If you lived in a dorm or barracks --- why would you need a car?

They usually come with a 10-15' charging cord and surge protector. You could use a suitable extension cord, but it might extend the charging time. Those who think charging stations are on every corner obviously don't own and electric car.

Seriously? I can see you have lived in neither

Don't you electric car owners feel bad about the non recyclable batteries?.....just being tossed in a land fill near you....

Sorry Pogo, but that is kind of a stupid question. I was stationed at Cecil Field FL back in the late 80's/early 90's, and lived in the barracks. If you lived in the barracks and didn't have a car, your options were severely limited, as the base was several miles away from anything good in town, as well as the fact that there was extremely limited bus service to and from the base.

Granted, there is a PX on base, and a chow hall and an enlisted club, but going to those places all the time can get boring after about a week or so.

Yet another non-answer. Question stands untouched. The simple fact is, not everybody "needs" a car. I lived in cities without one; that's why they have public trans.

As opposed to say, where I live now in the sticks, where you don't get to the grocery/hardware/whatever store any other way and there is no public trans. I could certainly have an EV here, the distances would be well in range. But in a city I wouldn't need either type.

Yet another non-answer. Question stands untouched. The simple fact is, not everybody "needs" a car. I lived in cities without one; that's why they have public trans.

As opposed to say, where I live now in the sticks, where you don't get to the grocery/hardware/whatever store any other way and there is no public trans. I could certainly have an EV here, the distances would be well in range. But in a city I wouldn't need either type.
See Post #12

See Post #12

Post 12 reveals that somebody else had an answer while you didn't.

And that post explains why one would want a car, i.e. boredom. I didn't say "want"; I said "need".

You need to have a '220' outlet.
To have the specialized recharging port etc wired into a building will only cost you about 2-3K.
But never mind. You can easily make that money back in about ten years.........if the car isn't rubbish by then.
You'll have to replace the batteries within a few years.

They usually come with a 10-15' charging cord and surge protector. You could use a suitable extension cord, but it might extend the charging time. Those who think charging stations are on every corner obviously don't own and electric car.
You can't recharge an electric car using 110, as in your basic extension cord.
"I'm just driving the electric car to Walmart dear. I'll be back about sometime tomorrow afternoon".

The Nissan Leaf:

- Its batteries are warranted for 8yr/100kmi (ensured 66% capacity @ 100k mi, i.e. 100 mi range, 2+ days of normal driving)
- 150 mile range to start (3-4 days of normal driving)
- The home charging upgrade costs $600 + install and easily charges the car to full overnight
- Completely charging the battery will cost you about $4.00
- Starts @ $29,900

It's getting close to the point where electric cars will be cheaper to own, but they are still kind of a "second car" for most people.

You charge them like everyone else does. At a charging station. Some apartments have them in the parking garage
Do college dormitories have them?
Do military bases provide them for their personal at the barracks?
Some apartments have them in the parking garage but not all and some apartment buildings/condos and townhouses do not have parking garages let alone charging stations.
None of the Military Bases I was stationed at or visited had them, but I got out in 2003.

Forum List

Back