Electric Car - 250 miles on one charge

Whoopie.

I travel a lot of interstate highway miles, to the point that dozens trips of 1,000 miles a day have been racked up.

It's also highly doubtful that crate could haul too much more than a two-suiter and a bicycle the advertised distance.

Well, even a model "T" couldn't take you very far.

First, it was 5 miles, then 55, then 100 and five, then 150, now 250.

A few years ago, there was the 8088, then the 256, then 356, then Pentium, then the duel Core, then the Quad core and now....

I remember the nay sayers dissing computers, "It's only a fad". The more things change, the more....

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1413281-post2.html

Why it will sell:
(1) It looks sleek and cool. Image is important
(2) While $50K is expensive, its affordable to a lot of people in the upper middle class,
(3) 300 mile range on a 45 minute charge. If you have a 20 mile commute, then you can go 15 days without charging. 45 min charge, is very short. Even outside salesmen can survive! Not too many people are going to do 300 miles in a day too often. 300 miles is more than enough for the vast majority of people!
(4) Family Car: It can fit 5 adults and 2 children (More likely, 2 up front and 3 in the back seat).
(5) More Cargo space than station wagons!
(6) 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds (Room, no gas, cool looking and very fast!)
(7) No Gas = No carbon Emission = No pollution! Many people think all 3 are important
(8) People will like the fact that they are delivering a great economic blow to Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc and start freeing America of foreign oil!
Model S FAQ

FOXNews.com - Tesla Introduces 7-Passenger Electric Car - Auto

HAWTHORNE, California — Electric car start-up Tesla Motors Inc unveiled its newest, cheapest vehicle on Thursday, a four-door sedan that can carry five adults and could travel up to 300 miles per charge.

The Model S will cost $49,900, after a U.S. government tax credit of $7,500, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said at the car's unveiling. It is slated to go into production in 2010 and will be manufactured in Southern California.

In his remarks, Musk billed the Model S as the first mass-market, highway-ready electric vehicle. And, he said, the price is comparable to that of a $35,000 gasoline-powered car such as a Ford Taurus, assuming gas prices of about $4 a gallon.

A few years ago, there was the 8088, then the 256, then 356, then Pentium, then the duel Core, then the Quad core and now....

I remember the nay sayers dissing computers, "It's only a fad". The more things change, the more....
Non sequitur.

There was nothing to compare with the Model T.

Electric cars have been ballyhooed for no less than a decade, and they still can't break the 250 mile per charge barrier.

We use electric vehicles at the airport for moving carts full of bags from flight to flight and from the bag room to gates. When fully charged their performance is OK on flat surfaces, as it gets colder, the life of the charge is shorter and even less performance is the norm. They need to be plugged back in constantly. After 300 hours of use, they need to be brought or towed to the maintenance shop. I'm not impressed at all with the performance of these vehicles. When we move aircraft and need to count on a vehicle, it's gas or diesel.

I use electric golf carts 12 hours a day when I measure, draw and photograph golf courses for our course guides........ They break down constantly.

Non sequitur.

Electric cars have been ballyhooed for no less than a decade, and they still can't break the 250 mile per charge barrier.

First the Model S hits 300.
Second, 250 miles probably covers 90% of most Americans daily commute!

Dude Your being very un-DDDDUUUUDDDDEEE!

Non sequitur.

Dude Your being very un-DDDDUUUUDDDDEEE!

I would be curious to see what the actual mileage is, projected is like a projected surplus guess. Real world use cold be completely different. The maintenance will be a serious problem for the tool challenged.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1413281-post2.html

Why it will sell:
(1) It looks sleek and cool. Image is important
(2) While $50K is expensive, its affordable to a lot of people in the upper middle class,
(3) 300 mile range on a 45 minute charge. If you have a 20 mile commute, then you can go 15 days without charging. 45 min charge, is very short. Even outside salesmen can survive! Not too many people are going to do 300 miles in a day too often. 300 miles is more than enough for the vast majority of people!
(4) Family Car: It can fit 5 adults and 2 children (More likely, 2 up front and 3 in the back seat).
(5) More Cargo space than station wagons!
(6) 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds (Room, no gas, cool looking and very fast!)
(7) No Gas = No carbon Emission = No pollution! Many people think all 3 are important
(8) People will like the fact that they are delivering a great economic blow to Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc and start freeing America of foreign oil!
Model S FAQ

FOXNews.com - Tesla Introduces 7-Passenger Electric Car - Auto

HAWTHORNE, California — Electric car start-up Tesla Motors Inc unveiled its newest, cheapest vehicle on Thursday, a four-door sedan that can carry five adults and could travel up to 300 miles per charge.

The Model S will cost $49,900, after a U.S. government tax credit of $7,500, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said at the car's unveiling. It is slated to go into production in 2010 and will be manufactured in Southern California.

In his remarks, Musk billed the Model S as the first mass-market, highway-ready electric vehicle. And, he said, the price is comparable to that of a $35,000 gasoline-powered car such as a Ford Taurus, assuming gas prices of about $4 a gallon.

IF (and I say IF) my understanding is correct, you're paying $6000-$10000 more than you would for an average car, and the carbon required to create *one* battery for one of these cars is more than the average car puts out in a *year*.

I'm failing to see the up side,

Sure, if they cost was not more prohibitive than filling up at the chevron.

I don't know how this ignorant untruth keeps getting accepted as factual.

Electricity has to be generated somehow. Right now, that "somehow" is either coal, natural gas, oil or nuclear.....Windmills don't put enough electricity onto the grid to be taken seriously here.

Also, the batteries contain a caustic electrolyte and plates made of heavy metals...Both being hazmat mitigation problems.

I don't know how this ignorant untruth keeps getting accepted as factual.

Electricity has to be generated somehow. Right now, that "somehow" is either coal, natural gas, oil or nuclear.....Windmills don't put enough electricity onto the grid to be taken seriously here.

Also, the batteries contain a caustic electrolyte and plates made of heavy metals...Both being hazmat mitigation problems.

True true true

I cut and pasted an old post of mine. We will at least be off of foreign oil and that makes me more than excited about the electric car, esp since I am becoming more and more of a skeptic of global warming!

Damn, you fellows are about a year behind the curve.

ZENN claims they will launch EEStor-powered EV in fall 2009 — Autoblog Green

EEStor Rides Again, This Time on a Bike | GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site

The energy storage unit that they have developed for Zenn weighs 280 lbs, and stores 52 kwh. This is compared to the state of the art lithium battery in the Volt, that weighs in at 400 lbs, and put out 17 kwh. Ten of these units would power my big Ford 350 stretch van about a 1000 miles, and only add 1000 lbs to the overall weight.

We already know what is going to happen. Japan will purchase the technology once it's fully developed. Then move it there, build it, then send it back for us to buy. We saw it with the VCR, CD Rom, Cameras, other cars, the list is endless.

Yeah, I'd buy one. Probably in the next few years. The Volt gets 40 miles before the gas engine kicks in. 70% will never use gasoline on any given day.

Forum List

Back