Electoral or Popular Vote

Hello

The Electoral College was put into the Constitution because our founding fathers did not think the "common people" were smart enough to make such important decisions. In this day and age I do not necessarily think this is true. Therefore I have always been in favor of a Constitutional Amendment repealing the Electoral College and leaving up the people.

Remember on at least two separate occasions the EC has "elected" someone other than who the majority had voted for. It needs to be put to rest.

Wolfman 24

Electoral College..

There is a reason that we have each branch chosen in a different manner... checks and balances....

Electoral college also gives the small states a voice... the states being important, since they are the entities that give the federal government its power thru the constitution

Last edited:
Hello

The Electoral College was put into the Constitution because our founding fathers did not think the "common people" were smart enough to make such important decisions. In this day and age I do not necessarily think this is true. Therefore I have always been in favor of a Constitutional Amendment repealing the Electoral College and leaving up the people.

Remember on at least two separate occasions the EC has "elected" someone other than who the majority had voted for. It needs to be put to rest.

Wolfman 24
The safeguard in having the electoral college override the majority of popular voters is a good thing. It keeps the large cities from shutting out the rural voters. It works quite well.

The founding fathers would be appalled to know that stupid people put a goddamned Marxist in the White House in 2008.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people.

I've never understood why people think the Electoral College benefits rural areas over cities. The electoral college creates a situation where the only votes that matter are a few swing voters in a handful of states.

Hello

Wolfman 24

It's more true now than it ever was. Obama's election is proof of that.

Time to end the EC. A vote is a vote, it shouldn't count for more or less depending on what state you live in. The EC also gives too much
power to elect our president to the swing states.

It's never going to happen because only a few big states would benefit and the rest would lose. They are never going to approve an Amendment to repeal it.

Hello

Wolfman 24

The Electoral College is a function of the popular vote, howbeit, one that checks the ambitions of the more populous regions/states in the Union. We need to keep it.

Time to end the EC. A vote is a vote, it shouldn't count for more or less depending on what state you live in. The EC also gives too much
power to elect our president to the swing states.

It's never going to happen because only a few big states would benefit and the rest would lose. They are never going to approve an Amendment to repeal it.

I agree, at least right now anyway.

I've seen projections of population shifts in specific states, and I'd say ending the EC will look far more viable in 50 years.:)

My fervent hope this election is that Obama wins the Electoral vote and Romney wins the popular. Only then will we be able to have a conversation on the EC with Republicans.

My fervent hope this election is that Obama wins the Electoral vote and Romney wins the popular. Only then will we be able to have a conversation on the EC with Republicans.

Sorry, But if that Happens Republicans will accept it like Men and move on, they wont cry about an Unfair System, because the System is not Unfair, it works.

Forum List

Back