Electoral math says its nearly impossible for Romney to win - Obama has 92.2% chance

Discussion in 'Election Forums' started by OohPooPahDoo, Sep 18, 2012.

  1. OohPooPahDoo
    Offline

    OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    15,342
    Thanks Received:
    976
    Trophy Points:
    175
    Location:
    N'Awlins Mid-City
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    This analysis is based on the state-by-state electoral college futures availble at intrade.com.

    Assumptions:
    1. Either Obama or Romney will win each vote.
    2. Nebraska and Maine do not have split electoral counts.
    3. Washington, D.C. (which intrade aparently does not have a future for) votes for Obama.

    Based on these assumptions and using the intrade.com prices, with 10,000,000 Monte Carlo trials, Obama wins the EC 9216556 times, Romney wins it 726216 times, and the EC is tied 57228 times. So Obama has about a 92.2% chance, Romney a 7.2% chance, and there is a 0.6% chance of a tie. Assuming the House would pick Romney in a tie, that gives Obama a 92.2% chance of winning re-election.


    Here is the code I used to generate this if anyone wants to reproduce it:

     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Katzndogz
    Offline

    Katzndogz Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011
    Messages:
    65,659
    Thanks Received:
    7,418
    Trophy Points:
    1,830
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    That's right. obama is a shoo in. Never even close. Democrats don't even have to bother voting.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. OohPooPahDoo
    Offline

    OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    15,342
    Thanks Received:
    976
    Trophy Points:
    175
    Location:
    N'Awlins Mid-City
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Another Repubican voter demonstrating once again without a doubt that Republicans dislike people voting.
     
  4. konradv
    Offline

    konradv Gold Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2010
    Messages:
    22,539
    Thanks Received:
    2,554
    Trophy Points:
    280
    Location:
    Baltimore
    Ratings:
    +5,659
    Mitt's pretty much given up, as that video shows. If you take the 47% won't vote for him because they don't pay income taxes and add in the Obama supporters that do pay taxes, it doesn't look like Romney has much of a chance. It'll be interesting to see if the big donors start saving their money for '16.
     
  5. CrusaderFrank
    Online

    CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2009
    Messages:
    81,138
    Thanks Received:
    14,896
    Trophy Points:
    2,210
    Ratings:
    +36,833
    Dems listen to Michelle and bring your confused, lazy and knuckleheaded friend to the polls on Nov 2
     
  6. Dr.Traveler
    Offline

    Dr.Traveler Mathematician

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Messages:
    3,925
    Thanks Received:
    650
    Trophy Points:
    190
    Location:
    In a Non-Euclidean Manifold
    Ratings:
    +1,046
  7. OohPooPahDoo
    Offline

    OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    15,342
    Thanks Received:
    976
    Trophy Points:
    175
    Location:
    N'Awlins Mid-City
    Ratings:
    +1,320


    I just re-ran the simulation. Obama now has 96% odds of winning and his average electoral college vote is 315.
     
  8. Rambunctious
    Offline

    Rambunctious Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Messages:
    4,578
    Thanks Received:
    810
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +2,953
    One word for ya,
    Turnout!
     
  9. Dr.House
    Offline

    Dr.House Lives on in syndication!

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    14,800
    Thanks Received:
    3,482
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Princeton/Plainsboro
    Ratings:
    +3,488
    :lol:

    Democrat tears will be so tasty after the election...
     
  10. Rambunctious
    Offline

    Rambunctious Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Messages:
    4,578
    Thanks Received:
    810
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +2,953
    The desire to remove Obama is stronger than the desire to retain him.
     

Share This Page