Electoral College

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MtnBiker, Jan 2, 2004.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
  2. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    A point of interest, in the last 8 elections Florida went to the democrat canidate only twice. And both times with a Southern canidate. I'm sure it will be fought over this election and watched closely.

3. jones

jones Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    And a Democrat has never won without Ohio. Electoral college should be taken out anyway, it just doesnt apply.

4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Good point about Ohio, look like a repubulican hasn't won in the last 8 elections without Ohio either.

The electoral college is in the Constitution.

5. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mtn,

Looks like us repubs will be picking up some more seats. I say 2-3, but could be as much as 5. :D

6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yeah I think you are right, btw that calculator is not updated, some of the electoral votes have shifted. I believe Texas has picked up one or two votes and another state I can't remember right now. Losses of votes came from California and New York.

7. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I personally don't see how the electoral college is very democratic. As I understand in some states if you have 50+1% of the votes, you take all the electoral college votes. How does that reflect the voting views of your electorate?

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The Electoral College was put into place to ensure that states elected the Chief Executive.

During the Constitutional Convention, there were a lot of states worried about a strong Chief Executive. In fact, the President under the Articles of Confederation was a weak one, and so it was a big deal to give the President the powers that ours has. But, in the same way that Senators were originally appointed by the state legislatures, the Chief Executive was chosen by representatives from the states - in what is called the Electoral College. It affords all states - populous or not - a say in who the Chief Executive is.

Without the electoral college, smaller states would cease to have any influenece in elections. All candidates would campaign in major metropolitan areas, ignoring states like Iowa, New Hampshire, the Dakotas, etc., in search of the popular vote.

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Living in a low populated state I appreciate that.:)

10. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0

The electoral college is designed to protect the populations in smaller states from the tyrrany of the majority. It's important to remember that the U.S. is a Republic, not a pure democracy.

I'd prefer to do away with the winner takes all aspect of electoral votes which is in place in most states. A proportionate allocation based upon popular vote would be fairer.