Electoral College. Just why?

The United States is the only country that elects a politically powerful president via an electoral college and the only one in which a candidate can become president without having obtained the highest number of votes in the sole or final round of popular voting.
—George C. Edwards, 2011

Why do we need to stick to outdated legislation when it comes to one of the most important political decisions in the life of the whole country? Why not popular vote? We believe in equality and democracy but for some reason let somebody decide the fate of of this country for us.

If we remove the electoral college, then I believe it would be necessary to require a 50% plus one vote in order to win an election. Less than 50% would require a runoff between the top two candidates. If you remove the electoral college, we would be much more likely to see multiple parties and independents running and receiving a much bigger percentage of the vote. While some may favor this, in the end it would most likely just create even more chaos within our political system, but that is just my opinion.

Alternative Vote or Single Transfer Vote is the best and is probably the most common in Europe... The vote is one day and you vote by preference.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j...h8msptsbT57rBgK_eqkWsuw&bvm=bv.96783405,d.ZGU

The United States is the only country that elects a politically powerful president via an electoral college and the only one in which a candidate can become president without having obtained the highest number of votes in the sole or final round of popular voting.
—George C. Edwards, 2011

Why do we need to stick to outdated legislation when it comes to one of the most important political decisions in the life of the whole country? Why not popular vote? We believe in equality and democracy but for some reason let somebody decide the fate of of this country for us.

If we remove the electoral college, then I believe it would be necessary to require a 50% plus one vote in order to win an election. Less than 50% would require a runoff between the top two candidates. If you remove the electoral college, we would be much more likely to see multiple parties and independents running and receiving a much bigger percentage of the vote. While some may favor this, in the end it would most likely just create even more chaos within our political system, but that is just my opinion.

Alternative Vote or Single Transfer Vote is the best and is probably the most common in Europe... The vote is one day and you vote by preference.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE&ei=cXORVYviLMGV7Aa6xaCIDg&usg=AFQjCNExoKgh8msptsbT57rBgK_eqkWsuw&bvm=bv.96783405,d.ZGU

I wasn't aware that we were viewing Europe as the be-all and end-all model of what we wanted to become, although I was aware that liberal idiots like to speak as though it is. Frankly, I consider "this is what Europe does" to be an argument AGAINST pretty much everything.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE&ei=cXORVYviLMGV7Aa6xaCIDg&usg=AFQjCNExoKgh8msptsbT57rBgK_eqkWsuw&bvm=bv.96783405,d.ZGU

I wasn't aware that we were viewing Europe as the be-all and end-all model of what we wanted to become, although I was aware that liberal idiots like to speak as though it is. Frankly, I consider "this is what Europe does" to be an argument AGAINST pretty much everything.

Well that is why you might be not the best person... So you want to use a system which nobody uses, where you have no clue of the benefits or pitfalls...

You're so spiteful you fail to learn...

Europe has better representation that US and far better representative democracy... Every country has more than two parties for starters..

—George C. Edwards, 2011

Well that is why you might be not the best person... So you want to use a system which nobody uses, where you have no clue of the benefits or pitfalls...

You're so spiteful you fail to learn...

Europe has better representation that US and far better representative democracy... Every country has more than two parties for starters..

Bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh. If you like Europe, go live in it. You have my blessing. But please don't assume that "My preference" is the same as "better". Not everyone looks at Europe and goes, "Mmmboy, that's what I aspire to". And that doesn't mean they're less-informed than you, before you get your undeserved ego all puffed up. It just means they don't have your priorities.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

\bandaids for an amputation? cure worse than the dis-ease?

All hat and no horse or cattle CowboyTed

:cuckoo: - 4- Cocoa Puffs Cecilie1200

Yet when corporate America wants to change things like patent and copyright laws they yell "well look at how Europe does it" and the conservatives in America get their puppet strings pulled

—George C. Edwards, 2011

We are a nation of 50 states, a republic not a direct democracy.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

Not a popular democracy, but a representative democracy. :D

—George C. Edwards, 2011

we can be a nation of 50 states and still be a democracy. We are not a pure republic at federal level either....recent SC opinion confirms this view.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

Another example of the fact that most liberals don't even know the basics of their own country's founding and its principles. The electoral college is not "outdated." It is a very wise, prudent system that provides a check against mobocracy.

If there were no electoral college, large parts of the country would be ignored and would never see a presidential candidate. Candidates would focus their time and money in the most heavily populated areas.

Consider this: Obama's margin of victory in 2012 was 3.9%. Obama won the high-school dropout vote by a landslide (by more than 2 to 1), and the high-school dropout vote accounted for 3% of all votes cast. Obama also won by a landslide among voters who had been receiving welfare for one year or more (they voted for him by nearly 3 to 1), and if only 20% of long-term welfare recipients voted, they accounted for at least 4% of all votes cast.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

Another example of the fact that most liberals don't even know the basics of their own country's founding and its principles. The electoral college is not "outdated." It is a very wise, prudent system that provides a check against mobocracy.

If there were no electoral college, large parts of the country would be ignored and would never see a presidential candidate. Candidates would focus their time and money in the most heavily populated areas.

Consider this: Obama's margin of victory in 2012 was 3.9%. Obama won the high-school dropout vote by a landslide (by more than 2 to 1), and the high-school dropout vote accounted for 3% of all votes cast. Obama also won by a landslide among voters who had been receiving welfare for one year or more (they voted for him by nearly 3 to 1), and if only 20% of long-term welfare recipients voted, they accounted for at least 4% of all votes cast.

1) those ignored parts of the country are ignored now....if it werent for the primary/caucus party elections they would be totally ignored.

2) the electoral college does not protect against the so-called "mobocracy" (a pompous & arrogant phrase BTW.) SOME of the founders, perhaps, were afraid of the common people that may be true, but the electoral college was just a way to facilitate a vote. And they didnt foresee the wide disparity in population that characterize our modern states.

AS an example...look to your own example...the electoral college gave us Obama now didnt it.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

To limit tyranny of the majority

California, Texas, Florida, and NY will rule the country and the other states won't get a say in how this country is run.

—George C. Edwards, 2011

we can be a nation of 50 states and still be a democracy. We are not a pure republic at federal level either....recent SC opinion confirms this view.
so you justify this on a flag? P.C. police? That don't even make sense

—George C. Edwards, 2011

so you justify this on a flag? P.C. police? That don't even make sense
your reply dont make sense...I dont know what yo mean

—George C. Edwards, 2011

See, you ruin a good post by injecting a rant about Obama. What is it with dolts like you? What is it with the uncontrollable urges to piss all over yourselves -- in public?

I believe:
The electoral college is necessary for the system we have to function fairly and hold the nation together.

But a very fundamental question remains: Why are we tied to the demands of people who live hundreds of years ago? Why don't we create a new constitution and government structure to fit our realities?

Forum List

Back