Electoral College. Just why?

Sounds like some of you would have had a problem with the Great Compromise.

It was a different age. The founders trusted the States far more than they did the people. Of the 3 branches of government, the people voted for half of one of them. The States voted for the other half, and for the president directly. The king under the original constitution was the State Legislatures.

Since then the states have ceded lots of authority to the people. Senators are now elected by the people where before they were elected by the State legislatures. And electors are elected by the people. Where before they were assigned by State legislatures.

That transition from state power to power of the people makes much of the 'Great Comprimise' unnecessary. Especially as it relates to the electoral college. Battle ground states trump state size now.

It was a different age. .

So you oppose proportional representation in the House of Representatives today?

Nope. I simply recognize that the State have ceded power to the people. And that the electoral college is a vestigial body that no longer served the purpose it once did: to allow the State Legislatures to elect the president.

50 of 50 States grant their votes in accordance with the popular vote. Just go with the popular vote.

The United States is the only country that elects a politically powerful president via an electoral college and the only one in which a candidate can become president without having obtained the highest number of votes in the sole or final round of popular voting.
—George C. Edwards, 2011

Why do we need to stick to outdated legislation when it comes to one of the most important political decisions in the life of the whole country? Why not popular vote? We believe in equality and democracy but for some reason let somebody decide the fate of of this country for us.

Excellent question.

We should abolish and/or ignore any Constitutional proviso which prevents us from enlarging the already gargantual welfare/warfare police state.

what possible relevance does your reply have to do with the question you're responding to?

Excellent question.

We should abolish and/or ignore any Constitutional proviso which prevents us from enlarging the already gargantual welfare/warfare police state.

Why the Electoral College?

The electoral college is a bulwark of states' rights yet, perhaps paradoxically, it also tends to foster the cohesiveness of the entire nation. It makes it difficult for more populous urban states, or states with larger populations, like New York, Florida, and California, to gain an unfair advantage over less urban and populous states like North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. But neither does it give these less populous states an unfair advantage over the more populous states. The electoral college maintains a delicate equity by (a) allotting the more populous states a greater number of electors, but (b) requiring the electors chosen by the state actually to elect the President. We call our nation the United States of America, and not the united people of America, because it is a union of states, and not merely of individuals. States directly elect Presidents; individuals only indirectly elect Presidents. This protects the integrity of the various states in that it vests them with the authority to choose electors who will themselves choose the President. However, it also fosters the cohesiveness of the entire nation, because it discourages candidates from concentrating on a few dispersed but highly concentrated urban areas."

that is all a bunch of empty political rhetoric....its BS ..........."delicate equity" my ass

So you oppose proportional representation in the House of Representatives today?

Nope. I simply recognize that the State have ceded power to the people. And that the electoral college is a vestigial body that no longer served the purpose it once did: to allow the State Legislatures to elect the president.

50 of 50 States grant their votes in accordance with the popular vote. Just go with the popular vote.

I think you get the original purpose wrong....it was a time without the mass communication systems we have now....favorite sons were more likely to get votes...and the electors could hash it out...but it was also just a method to facilitate a vote.

I dont think states have ceded any power

That being said...I like how most parliamentary/ prime minister set ups work better.........less cult of personality....more head of the party.

The people vote. They vote in states, but the people vote.
The archaic EC was for making a choice in case a candidate of advanced age, and all were at the epoch, died before investiture and another decision had to be made. The Oath is taken sooner now, and people are in better health, or we know about it.
Having the people vote directly for the President is logical and consistent with the rest of the democratic process..

You're just making stuff up as you go along.

The people vote. They vote in states, but the people vote.
The archaic EC was for making a choice in case a candidate of advanced age, and all were at the epoch, died before investiture and another decision had to be made. The Oath is taken sooner now, and people are in better health, or we know about it.
Having the people vote directly for the President is logical and consistent with the rest of the democratic process..
really?

don't think so

The United States is the only country that elects a politically powerful president via an electoral college and the only one in which a candidate can become president without having obtained the highest number of votes in the sole or final round of popular voting.
—George C. Edwards, 2011

Why do we need to stick to outdated legislation when it comes to one of the most important political decisions in the life of the whole country? Why not popular vote? We believe in equality and democracy but for some reason let somebody decide the fate of of this country for us.

Here you go.....this explains it....

The Popular Vote vs. the Electoral College - Prager University

I think you get the original purpose wrong....it was a time without the mass communication systems we have now....favorite sons were more likely to get votes...and the electors could hash it out...but it was also just a method to facilitate a vote.

I dont think states have ceded any power

That being said...I like how most parliamentary/ prime minister set ups work better.........less cult of personality....more head of the party.

Gawd, you people...

When the Electoral College was hashed out political parties as we know them had yet to exist. As a matter of fact political parties as we understand them didn't really appear until the Monroe and Jackson years.

There are documents that explain the arguments and agreements made that resulted in the electoral college being adopted.

I say most fixes would have unintended consequences like the cure being worse than the dis-ease.

Why not advocate scraping our current system and form of government for one of OUR own making? Then we could get rid of some of the pathetic ignorance in arguments on the subject

Forum List

Back