Electoral College? Another Constitution Question...

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Article 2 Section 1 (per the 12th amendment)

The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves;

Does this mean a president and vice-president cannot be from the same state?

The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President

Could someone translate that into insomniac laymen, please?

But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote

I thought different states counted differently with the EC- or is this something else?

Article 2 Section 1 (per the 12th amendment)

The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves;

Does this mean a president and vice-president cannot be from the same state?

The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President

Could someone translate that into insomniac laymen, please?

But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote

I thought different states counted differently with the EC- or is this something else?

Basically.

Whoever has the most electoral votes is the President. If there is a tie then it goes to a vote in the House of Representatives.

It's speaking about how the House of Representatives would vote for the President. Each state would only receive one vote. It's not talking about the electoral college at all.

• Banned
Thanks for clearing that up for me. For an insomniac with an education mostly provided by incompetent 'public' and my own ventures into the library, some of the verbiage can be quite confusing at times.

I wish I'd gone to Electorial College.

I hear you have to take only electives there.

Forum List

Back