Election Treason

Discussion in 'History' started by Star, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Star

Star Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    1)LBJ was furious with Nixon, audiotapes of telephone conversations now show, over the likelihood that Nixon meddled with Johnson’s attempts to get negotiations moving to bring the Vietnam war to a swift conclusion in 1968. In a heated diatribe, when referring to Nixon’s actions during the waning days of the ’68 presidential campaign, LBJ tells Senate Republican leader Everett Dirksen, “This is treason (click here to listen) .” In a separate, historically key conversation, LBJ directly warns Nixon that his “people” appeared to be bent on sabotaging LBJ’s peace overtures to Hanoi. In a conversation on November 3, 1968, two days prior to the presidential election, Johnson confronted Nixon on the issue, but Nixon told LBJ point-blank, “I’m not trying to interfere.”

At about 4:25 of the tape, LBJ says to Everett Dirksen, “This is treason (click here to listen) Senator Dirksen responds, "I know"-----but the Vietnam money laundering scheme continued for another 8 years-----then...
    ...the Reagan team negotiated a deal with the Iranians-----then...
    ...the SCOTUS forced Florida to stop counting votes and appointed the guy that came in second in the Florida vote count POTUS-----then...
    ...in 2012 the Republicans...

2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,318
    Kind of like Reagan and Iran.

3. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,018
    LBJ?

The "I sunk the USS Liberty and had MLK and Malcolm X whacked" President?

4. CrusaderFrank

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,018
    “Son, when I appoint a ****** to the court, I want everyone to know he’s a ******.” -- Dem Civil Rights "Hero" LBJ on Thurgood Marshall

5. Staidhup

Staidhup Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    So let me understand this, LBJ blamed Nixon for extending the war in Vietnam and interfering with the peace process, the one and only RMN of lets further expand the conflict and gain a truce fame? Yep, right on, and all along I thought Nixon suffered from a case of extreme paranoia, apparently LBJ had some serious issues of his own. Oh well, when you escalate into a full war that was being run and commanded by those in the senate and congress and not those in the field I guess the ghosts come back to haunt you. Must have been an epiphany of sort, right?

6. CrusaderFrank

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,018
    Star is flailing badly because what the fuck else is he going to do, talk about all the good Obama's done lately?

Nixon?

Reagan?

LOL

7. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Ayup.

:clap:

8. CrusaderFrank

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,018
    Remember when Bush got on that SR-71 Blackbird and negotiated the release of the hostages? Oh, right, that never happened. Right

So maybe turning Iran over to Islamic Fundies was not the best idea Carter ever had

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,578
    Context:

Johnson was trying to negotiate a peace settlement of the Vietnam conflict before the November 1968 US election, which was just weeks away.

Johnson had decided not to run for re-election due, for the most part, to that war. He wanted to leave a peace settlement as a gift to whoever won the election (Humphrey or Nixon). He also had a private understanding with the two candidates that they would keep their noses out of anything to do with the negotiations.

Johnson had the major parties involved in the conflict close to coming together for a meeting to negotiate the peace. The US, China, North Vietnam, and South Vietnam.

At the last minute, the President of South Vietnam, Nguyen Van Thieu, backed out of the peace conference.

Johnson found out Thieu had backed out because the Nixon camp had told Thieu it would be a bad idea to go to that conference.

Nixon's belief was that Johnson was so desperate to wrap up Vietnam before November that he would sell South Vietnam down the river. He referred Thieu to the fate of Eastern Europe after the Yalta and Potsdam conferences held by the Allied powers.

Nixon told Thieu he could get South Vietnam a better deal than Johnson since he would not be under time pressure the way Johnson was.

10. CrusaderFrank

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,018
    And Vietnam got sold to the communists anyway