Election spurs hundreds of race threats and crimes

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes
By JESSE WASHINGTON

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

The Associated Press: Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes

Who ever thought that the cottage industry that exists under the bumper sticker "United States is Racist" would go away just because the majority had no compunction in voting for a black man as our president.

Here' the ole left wing AP stirring up the pot with a handful of anectodals, including "a large subset of white people in this country...."

How about Charles Ogletree, Harvard professor, candidate for attorney general, saying the election doesn't count in race relations because Obama is only half black?

Victim, victim, victim... It never ends.

Sad as it is, I can't say this comes as a surprise.

I guess I am naive. I was shocked. Especially since I grew up in Georgia. I don't remember anything like what is described in this article.

But my first thought was that some of these people probably post here.

But my first thought was that some of these people probably post here.

Can you clarify: are you saying that people who commit racist acts or are "racists" post here?

Please give examples that would indicate this. I hope that I am wrong, but it seemed to me that you are using the insult du jour, "racist," to mean whosoever has a different opinion than you do.

well excuse me for breathing this butt,,,, I noted the writer of the op mention obama being hung and not Palin,, and it is obvious the writer thinks racism is inherent in the white population,, so,, we a re done aren't we? yes,

Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes
By JESSE WASHINGTON

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

The Associated Press: Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes

Given your views on guns, I guess this means we shouldn't have elections.

Sure it does, if he were not black he would never have beaten Hillary in the Primaries. He would not be President.

Man, I must have been confused all the time I spent following the primaries. Because I'm pretty sure that was a campaign I was watching.

Man, I must have been confused all the time I spent following the primaries. Because I'm pretty sure that was a campaign I was watching.

Explain, then, how Obama won 90 percent of the African American vote in the primaries.

Explain, then, how Obama won 90 percent of the African American vote in the primaries.

Explain why Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton never came in the same time zone of 90 percent of the African American vote in the primaries when they ran.

Forum List

Back