Election Protection

fuzzykitten99 said:
repeat after me:

We

are

a

REPRESENTATIVE

REPUBLIC

There. Now quit making up your own terms. I makes you look desperate to sound smart. >.<

I got that description from a political science professor. According to the CIA we are:

Constitution-based federal republic; strong democratic tradition

Limited refers to the limits put on us by the Constitution

Federal Republic

With a strong democratic tradition

Aka - Limited federal democratic republic

Merlin1047 said:
First point - it doesn't matter how the electorate is split. You get representatives from all sides to monitor the election. Both the Democrat and Republican party have poll watchers at each voting location to assure no hanky panky. That is a procedure already in place in many jurisdictions.

And I didn't say you were un-American, I simply indicated that I didn't think that your view toward giving over our elections to foreigners made you a very good American - at least in respect to this particular issue.

And please - don't start with me with crap like "principles . . . every soldier of this country that has died, died for". I've seen lots of soldiers die and I can tell to to a degree of absolute certainty that not a single one died so that we could hand our country's election process over to the UN as you suggest.

I do not suggest handing over our election process to the UN. I am saying that we are a country with a backbone of wonderful principles and I will not bow down to lose them. Many people will not die for principles but man has accepted a few (give me liberty or give me death). I am for those principles and will give my life for them. We need to make sure we are faithful to them and I think some monitering can only be a good thing. We are not perfect and I would like someone to point out our flaws so they can be corrected.

MJDuncan1982 said:
I do not suggest handing over our election process to the UN. I am saying that we are a country with a backbone of wonderful principles and I will not bow down to lose them. Many people will not die for principles but man has accepted a few (give me liberty or give me death). I am for those principles and will give my life for them. We need to make sure we are faithful to them and I think some monitering can only be a good thing. We are not perfect and I would like someone to point out our flaws so they can be corrected.

Then it still boils down to the inescapable fact that you trust UN hacks to monitor our elections but you do not trust your own countrymen.

Merlin1047 said:
Then it still boils down to the inescapable fact that you trust UN hacks to monitor our elections but you do not trust your own countrymen.

In a way I don't trust my own countrymen because politics is all about power and men desire power above all else. Look at all the bullshit that is tossed around just to win.

A disinterested (very hard to come by I admit) third party looking at our process would be a good thing to me.

Look at what went down in Florida. Both sides wanted to win and both sides did anything they could to win.

Do you think either side was really sitting back going: "let democracy and the will of the people play out and if we lose then we lose"?

MJDuncan1982 said:
I got that description from a political science professor. According to the CIA we are:

Constitution-based federal republic; strong democratic tradition

Limited refers to the limits put on us by the Constitution

Federal Republic

With a strong democratic tradition

Aka - Limited federal democratic republic

ok, fine. tell your professor to quit making up his own terms. I can't stand how democrats like to change the meaning or name of things to suit their 'must be politically correct' gene.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "is", is.

:rolleyes:

MJDuncan1982 said:
He isnt my Professor, I met him at a grocery store...but that is irrelevant.

Is this defintion really that off (serious question)?

you just said that he was a political science professor. but you met him at a grocery store? :wtf:

i'd say credibility is a bit less than 0 unless you knew him personally. i talk to people all day who claim they are in the insurance business, yet when i use basic insurance jargon, they give me a blank look.

We are a representative republic because we elect representatives to govern our republic. For the lack of a better definition.

Alright it doesn't really matter...all these defintions are close and are probably right in their own way.

What is it we were debating?

MJDuncan1982 said:
Alright it doesn't really matter...all these defintions are close and are probably right in their own way.

What is it we were debating?

Your desire to to relinquish our sovereignty to foreign observers.

Was that it? Damn if it was then we are in agreement. I don't want to do that. I think there was something else...I'll check the posts.

I am having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to have the government monitor our free electoral process. Hey, just because monitored elections work in Cuba doesn’t mean it will work here.

I think the key may be to tighten up the registration process, make it more difficult for fraudulent votes to be cast.

Showing ID prior to voting is a good step and is rather benign. To think there are left-wingers out there condemning showing ID at the polls, claiming the Republicans are trying to suppress the vote.
------------------------------------------
Whatever you believe, I do, too - Kerry '04

drowe said:
To think there are left-wingers out there condemning showing ID at the polls, claiming the Republicans are trying to suppress the vote.

It's because those who want to vote several times for Kerry will be disenfranchised.

drowe said:
I am having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to have the government monitor our free electoral process. Hey, just because monitored elections work in Cuba doesn’t mean it will work here.

I think the key may be to tighten up the registration process, make it more difficult for fraudulent votes to be cast.

Showing ID prior to voting is a good step and is rather benign. To think there are left-wingers out there condemning showing ID at the polls, claiming the Republicans are trying to suppress the vote.

Good point. Leftists fight tooth and nail to defeat voter identification efforts. Yet those like MJ want to import foreign observers. Could it be that they know that the UN hates American conservatives and leftists feel that they could get away with anything if the UN controlled our elections?

I can't believe that this whole thing got legs because some digruntled bitch tried to claim that Republicans were preventing blacks from voting. Then the rest of the damn lefties jumped on the bandwagon. The thing that REALLY frosts my cookies is the fact that Bush didn't have the backbone to tell them all to go straight to hell.

MJDuncan1982 said:
In a way I don't trust my own countrymen because politics is all about power and men desire power above all else. Look at all the bullshit that is tossed around just to win.

I rest my case.

You are such an elitist that you believe that someone from France, Germany or Zimbabwe would do a better job of monitoring our elections than our own people.

Perhaps there is an alternative solution. Go out to Hollyweird and recruit all those assholes to monitor the election. They too think they're smarter and more ethical than the rest of us.

Merlin1047 said:
I rest my case.

You are such an elitist that you believe that someone from France, Germany or Zimbabwe would do a better job of monitoring our elections than our own people.

Perhaps there is an alternative solution. Go out to Hollyweird and recruit all those assholes to monitor the election. They too think they're smarter and more ethical than the rest of us.

I'm not an elitist by any means. That is a word that is tossed around as a general insult. I believe that when country "A" is having elections, the citizens of that country are inherently at a disadvantage to monitor. Countries "B" and "C" have an outside perspective which serves to keep things objective.

MJDuncan1982 said:
I'm not an elitist by any means. That is a word that is tossed around as a general insult. I believe that when country "A" is having elections, the citizens of that country are inherently at a disadvantage to monitor. Countries "B" and "C" have an outside perspective which serves to keep things objective.

You are pathetically naive to think that someone is objective just because they come from another country - especially when the subject country is the US. Opinions about the US are like a$$holes - everybody has one.

Did you see that funny little poll someone ran saying that "the world" prefers Kerry over Bush? Does this give you a hint as to how naive your above statement sounds?

MJDuncan1982 said:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/07/election.observers.ap/index.html

I don't understand why so many people don't want observers in our elections. What are you trying to do?

This will HELP our democracy become better and more efficient. Just because it offends some sense of pride because we are America is ridiculous.

Just because we are America doesn't mean we are invinsible against fraud.
It seems to me that the country that thinks it's elections are perfect and doesn't need to watch them is the country most prone to tamper. It often times takes an outside opinion to recognize one's faults.

Barring an exercise that could help the nature of our democracy is absolutely ridiculous and contrary to what I believe in as an American!

It is because most do not realize that we almost always have observers from other nations at our elections.

In this case, they are there to insure that our elections are not tampered with and fair and that is what they are objecting to. Even the last election where lawsuits abounded and the divisiveness of our current political atmosphere was created rules were followed that were to insure a fair and legal election. By admitting people to insure that the elections are "fair" and not "tainted" we are admitting that we have a problem with our elections, and that those other countries elections processes are better and clearer than ours. Are they? Who are we having observe our elections this time?

Forum List

Back