Election Postponed To Avert Terror Attack

spillmind

Sep 1, 2003
Palo Alto, Ca.
American counterterrorism official, citing what they call "alarming" intelligence about a possible Qaeda strike insdie the United States this fall, are reviewing a proposal that could allow for the postponment of the November presidential election in the even of such an attack, Newsweek has learned.
-Newsweek, JUly 19 issue

and what's not so far off? Dubya getting up there and spouting his in usual cliche` manner:

My fellow citizens,

Our democracy has flourished for more than 200 years, nourished by the courageous spirit of the American people and the blood of the American patriots. Ours is the longest continuous democratic government in the history of mankind. It has been a beacon of freedom, and a symbol of hope, to generation of the people the world over. The system by which we choose our leaders today is the envy of the world. Through our process of free debate and open election, we assure our friends and enemies alike not only of our continuing stability, but of our strength.

I have no doubt that these are the very virtues that have drawn the most evil forces in the world today to target our system for destruction. The shadowy networks of deadly terrorist groups and the criminal regimes that support them seek to sow doubts that this free and informed debate of issues, and the orderly succession of democratically elected leaders, cannot work. They want to prove that their evil vision of chaos, terror, and tyranny will prevail instead.

But they will not succeed. Not on my watch- and not on yours. America is too strong. America is smart. America is too determined to remain that beacon of freedom in a world where freedom grows more precious every day.

As a citizen of this nation, I am certain you have heard reports of efforts by the al qaeda terrorist network to disrupt the 2004 presidential election, and to disrupt the elections for the United States Congress, the United States Senate and the elections of state and local officials across our land.

Today, it is my solemn duty to inform you that agents of our Department of Homeland Security have confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that these reports are true. Al qaeda operatives have been apprehended on American soil, carrying plans for placing high-intensity explosive devices and biohazardous materials in strategic voting precincts throughout the United States. These plans reveal intentions to kill and maim American voters at polling places in at least eleven states: in the South, the Mid-West, in California, and in my home state of Texas.

Diagrams seized with these terrorists show evidence of long term surveillance of specific homes and places of worship used for voting. Their clear intention is to shift our attention with panic and weaken our morale with fear. They clearly hope to intimidate the American people, and to weaken our confidence in our government’s ability to protect its citizens and our cherished democratic institutions.

We have seen what this kind of intimidation has dome to formerly democratic regimes around the world. But they will not intimidate us. We are a peaceful people, but we are not a fragile people. We will not be intimidated by thugs and killers. But we must back up our resolve with more than words. We must protect our democracy with action.

As Commander in Chief of the United States, I have been given the responsibility for resolving a historic dilemma. In the short term, we face our commitment to maintaining our schedule of elections across America on November 2, despite Al qaeda’s threats. In the long term, we face the responsibility of saving our democratic system- for our children, and for future generations around the world who will look to us for leadership.

American has never backed down from doing the right thing, no matter how hard. We know the value of freedom better than anyone, because we have paid the highest price to preserve it. In this tradition, I have taken a series of actions to derail this plot by the Al Qaeda terrorist network to disrupt our democratic process.

I have ordered the Director of Homeland Security to elevate our Security Alert Index to its highest level- red.

I have ordered the Attorney General to invoke the emergency measures of our Patriot Act, to quarantine suspected terrorists and protect our people while preserving the most cherished principles of our constitution.

I have ordered commanders of our military forces in Afghanistan to being massive bombings of suspected Al Qaeda operation centers in the southern part of the country.

Last, just moments ago, I sent to the US Congress a resolution calling for temporary postponement of the 2004 elections until the safety of all our citizens can be guaranteed and the integrity of our electoral process preserved. I have asked for, and have every reason to expect, Congressional approval of this emergency measure by the end of the day tomorrow.

The image of America’s citizens peacefully choosing their leaders, and our orderly transition of leadership, is critical to world peace and stability. Al Qaeda’s plot to disrupt our elections is intended to frighten our people from voting and create the impression in the minds of people around the world that even in America, the price of democracy is too high.

Thankfully, democracy does not depend exclusively on elections. It does, however, depend on trust. The trust that people have in their government to protect them and their families from violence and bloodshed. Trust in the integrity and decisiveness of the leaders they select. Trust that all the votes that you and your fellow citizens cast will be cast without coercion, intimidation, and the threat of consequences.

The most important thing you can do is to continue going about your daily routine and show the terrorists- and the world- our resolve. This strategic postponement of our voting calendar is by no means a signs of weakness. It is a sign of strength. It show American is determined to hold its elections on its own schedule- not Al Qaeda’s.

I ask you today to stand with me in the historic battle to protect our families and our freedom. Help me to show the world what American Democracy is truly made of.

United, we will win this battle. United, we always do.
Thank you, and may God continue to bless America.

Jeff Gillenkirk. Gillenkirk is a former speechwriter for New York Governor Mario Cuomo.

i wonder what bushies would think of that? GOD BLESS HIM FOR SAVING US, RIGHT??!! :mm:

With that Spilly, we all fold our tents and go home. Your point?

backstabber said:
With that Spilly, we all fold our tents and go home. Your point?
you missed the point because i got all squirelly on you and posted it as a question?

neither of you care to comment. and that's fine with me. it only proves my suspicions that you would condone it.

just because this is speculation, doesn't make it impossible.

spillmind said:
you missed the point because i got all squirelly on you and posted it as a question?

neither of you care to comment. and that's fine with me. it only proves my suspicions that you would condone it.

just because this is speculation, doesn't make it impossible.

You post nonsense to get a rise out of people!

And I speculate that Charles Manson is leading an Episcopalian knitting group inside San Quentin, the point is that that article is utter nonsense and has the same odds of me hitting the powerball. I suppose if we were nuked on or around election day that might disrupt things but beyond that I don't think so.

Spilly, you are a frekin idiot. You post nonsense to get a rise out of people! You have just earned your first warning!

go right ahead and ban me, because you are upset that i called you on your shady name calling! address the point or ban me already. make sure to point out which rule i violated.

OCA said:
And I speculate that Charles Manson is leading an Episcopalian knitting group inside San Quentin, the point is that that article is utter nonsense and has the same odds of me hitting the powerball. I suppose if we were nuked on or around election day that might disrupt things but beyond that I don't think so.

gee, too bad i've got reasons to believe that this is ACTUALLY POSSIBLE. check our the newseek issue of week july 19th. getting americans all lubed up to take it lying down.

the reason this is disturbing, is because it's not that tough to imagine.

for the sake of arguement, IMAGINE it DID HAPPEN, and HOW YOU WOULD REACT. if you can't manage this, that's quite alright with me.
but calling me crazy and other names isn't much of a debate.

I'd say fuck no George! Because it plays right into the hands of tinfoil wearers such as yourself.

But seriously don't you have anything else other than a crazy concoction by and old aide of a washed up politician? Lets deal with things that actually have a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

spilly,

if there was a nuclear attack, would you condone putting off the election in order to get the government running again? I mean if you are to be taken seriously, what would you suggest if the process was actually disrupted? And I do not mean to put it off forever.

why are we discussing this AGAIN?

It has been pointed out more than a dozen times that the President ASKED the Justice Department to provide him with legal briefs and opinions on what SHOULD be done if an attack were to take place. It was something that even the DEMOCRATS said needed to be done. Furthermore, it really has been decided that it is a MUTE issue, since we DO NOT hold FEDERAL elections. All elections for federal office take PLACE at the STATE level. Therefore, the the FEDERAL government would have NO SAY in state level elections.

poor freeandfun! :cry: and then posts on it. enjoy this little film to lighten your mood:

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/this_land_af

old twister game from goodwill said:
it really has been decided that it is a MUTE issue,
you *do* mean a MOOT point, right?

while it's difficult to get down to hard facts and brass nailsbased on hypothesis, it is interesting to think that the white house would release such a statement.

i'm with OCA, if the WH tried to postpone the elections on 'assumptions' and 'precautions', i sure as fack would raise bloody hell. how about you?

yurt said:
if there was a nuclear attack, would you condone putting off the election in order to get the government running again? I mean if you are to be taken seriously, what would you suggest if the process was actually disrupted? And I do not mean to put it off forever.

well, if there was a nuclear attack, DEPENDING ON THE TIMING, i think the government would be in large disarray. where would they strike? my guess it is that they would go after our leaders. that is a bit extreme, however.

as long as bush was in office, and it's nov 2, if bombs aren't going off that day, give us a chance to choose our new president! (a nuke going off won't help dubya's campaign)

spillmind said:
poor freeandfun! :cry: and then posts on it. enjoy this little film to lighten your mood:

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/this_land_af

you *do* mean a MOOT point, right?

while it's difficult to get down to hard facts and brass nailsbased on hypothesis, it is interesting to think that the white house would release such a statement.

i'm with OCA, if the WH tried to postpone the elections on 'assumptions' and 'precautions', i sure as fack would raise bloody hell. how about you?

Thats basically what they have been saying. I guess it depends on what the definition of "is" is though. :happy2:

Interesting speculation. However, I would like to point out that this country has historically held its elections despite whatever situation was occuring including world war, civil war, etc.

Debating over hypothetical situations seems rather pointless to me. What if aliens from outerspace invaded and tried to take over the world? Would we still hold our elections? We have a lot of grade B movies that speculate on alien invasions.

Forum List

Back