election decided by a deck of cards

dec8ur

Rookie
Jun 10, 2009
this is arizona

Adam Trenk and Thomas McGuire, both in blue jeans and open-collar shirts, strode nervously into Town Hall with their posses. There stood the town judge. He selected a deck of cards from a Stetson hat and shuffled it — having removed the jokers — six times.

Mr. McGuire, 64, a retired science teacher and two-term incumbent on the Town Council, selected a card, the six of hearts, drawing approving oos and aws from his supporters.

Mr. Trenk, 25, a law student and newcomer to town, stepped forward. He lifted a card — a king of hearts — and the crowd roared. Cave Creek had finally selected its newest Council member.

wont let me post the url but this is from the new york times

you dont have enough posts to post a url....dont ask me why or hell even if that is true...

why not....seems smarter than spending money on a revote

I live in Arizona, several counties and municipalities use this method to decide tied elections. I actually live near a town that was founded by the turn of a card- Show Low. It takes it's name from two pioneer settlers who both wanted the limited water rights for grazing in the area. Instead of having a range war, they decided to cut the cards, the one who "showed low" was the winner. Daniel Cooley drew the deuce of clubs and the other rancher left. (he actually went south and was a founding father of the city of Mesa) The main street through town is named deuce of clubs drive. Mr. Cooley's decendents still live in the area. He was LDS, and had 4 wives, one of which was an Apache woman, one who was Mexican. There are Cooleys in the area that are anglo, cooleys that are hispanic and cooleys that are Apache tribal members. A neat little history lesson in all this.
In nearby New Mexico, they use the card cutting method to decide tied elections statewide. Colorado has counties that do the same thing.
Given the fact that only about half of the elegible voters actually vote in any given election, and the general stupidity of the voters in general, the card cutting doesn't seem like a bad thing to do. It certainly is cheaper than all the recounts and court dates that other tied elections go through. The election that al franken is part of has cost the taxpayers how much? How much do you suppose al and his opponent have spent? Still no seated senator. WTF- cut the damn cards and be done with it, they way it is going now it might not be decided until the next election..

Forum List

Back