Elderly People Should Not Drive

Personally, if anyone is going to get tested every few years, then everyone should. Coming from the state with the worst drivers in the country, I will certainly say it won't make a lick of difference though.

I think you should have to have a freeway drive when you take your test.

Plus they need to post the definition of RIGHT AWAY on billboards every where. I stopped at uncontrolled intersection, because I was on the left. And this stupid lady on the RIGHT waved me on like I was the stupid one. Part of you wants to pull over and explain it to them.
Vent off!

my mother is 80....i am in the process of building up the nerve to tell her that her drivers license has to be turned in.....

my mother should not have past the driving test the last time....like 6 years ago...the tester gave her hints...she is blind in one eye and does okay with the other...but does not need to be driving....i think over an age they should have yearly testing....why would that bother anyone who can pass?

[...]I do think we need better cab service and volunteer drivers services, but no, I don't think incompetent people should drive.
I'm 73. While I can still drive as well as most on the road I can tell my reflexes are starting to slow down. Fortunately I live in a well-organized retirement community which provides daily bus service to and from shopping centers and there are good taxi services available to me when I'm past the age of driver competence. So I'm glad you specified making such services available before grounding seniors, because older people who have no one to do things for them, and there are a lot of them, need some way to get around.

Someone with Dementia should not have a license. The day after my father spent 6 hours looking for my house (a 15 minute drive, that he had made hundreds of times) his car was "stolen". Of course my eldest Sister handled the "police report" for him.

It was less than 2 weeks later that we found an assisted living place for him.

(They never did recover that car :eusa_whistle:)

my mother totaled her car in raleigh...she was going shopping in smithfield 75 miles away

putting her in assisted living has been one of the hardest things i have ever done....

Someone with Dementia should not have a license. The day after my father spent 6 hours looking for my house (a 15 minute drive, that he had made hundreds of times) his car was "stolen". Of course my eldest Sister handled the "police report" for him.

It was less than 2 weeks later that we found an assisted living place for him.

(They never did recover that car :eusa_whistle:)

my mother totaled her car in raleigh...she was going shopping in smithfield 75 miles away

putting her in assisted living has been one of the hardest things i have ever done....

Don't ever feel quilty about it, which is easy for someone else to say.
But I take care of people in their homes, and I have worked at a facility. With dementia, sometimes it is better they are in assisted living or a nursing home.

I do recognize the problems older people have with transportation, MikeK. I know that, for many, it's a necessity because they want to stay in their homes and I feel the community should respond. BUT I also think that MOST elderly people should not drive. I have no doubt the people in the family of that man who died here today wish they had done something before he died, and it's by the grace of God he didn't kill anyone else.

Forum List

Back